By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's plans to win the console war

oo oo oo BANZAI sony FTW lol

Around the Network

wii is gonna win. But the ps3 might pull second place.

Cheebee said:

Motion control, the 'holy grail of gaming'? XD LMAO, that's hilarious, I remember too well when Nintendo unveiled their plans for Wii, and Sony dismissed motion controls as a gimmicky fad that would never catch on.

... What will all the PS3 fanboys do now, after making fun of the Wii and its control mechanisms for years, saying they don't want nor need them, and how superior traditional analog controls are... yet now Sony themselves are proclaiming motion controls to be the way to go, and indeed, going as far as saying they're gaming's 'holy grail'? XD

Well, so because some people don't like the wiimote, then every Sony fan said the same? That's pretty weak.

Also @ people going on about how Sony did or did not 'rip-off' many ideas from Nintendo, well, Nintendo were the ones who introduced the D-pad, the shoulder buttons, the control stick, the rumble pack, and now, motion controls. Guess what other hardware companies followed suit and integrated all of these ideas into their own subsequent controllers? That's right, all of them.

Fact is, Nintendo pioneers a lot of things that go on to become industry standards, whether some people like it or not. And yes, the PS1 controller did only receive a control stick after the N64 came out and proved with its 3D games how well it worked.

Not true at all. Sony announced their dualanalog controller before nintendo announced their n64 controller. Additionally, the Vetrex was the first console to use an analog controller

And there's also a difference between 3D and 3D. Yes, the PS1 had 3D games before Nintendo came out with their N64. *However*, Nintendo were the first ones to do true open-world 360 degrees 3D gaming right with a little thing called Super Mario 64. Compare SM64 with the '3D' games on PS1 that came out before it, you'll see what I mean.

This is also false. Both warhawk and Jumping Flash came out before Mario 64 and were, as you call it, "True 360" gaming.

I personally think they only way they will "win" the console war is if nintendo and microsoft release next gen systems, and sony keeps the ps3 going strong just like they did with the ps2.

but then again strong focus on the ps2 may be what hurt ps3 to begin with

I can think of a few things that Sony copied off Nintendo...

Joystick..Dualshock came wayyyyy after the N64 controller

and Rumble

I don't care who comes up with these things as long as the games they make are good...

Around the Network
sparda2020 said:
I can think of a few things that Sony copied off Nintendo...

Joystick..Dualshock came wayyyyy after the N64 controller

and Rumble

I don't care who comes up with these things as long as the games they make are good...

I wrote just above that Sony announced their dualanalog controller before nintendo even showed the first hint of their controller.

^^Announcing is one thing....and having the actual product is one thing...sony had time to improve the analog after N64 released the analog...

and can you prove that they did announce it first...i'm just curious

NoCtiS_NoX said:

Source: www.psu.com

Ever since the start of this current generation of consoles, Sony has been playing catch up to Nintendo, and to a lesser degree, Microsoft. Whether it was due to launching a year after the Xbox 360, or retailing at a more expensive price point than the Wii, the PlayStation 3 struggled in its infancy. But, ever since the price drop and the introduction of the PS3 Slim, the brand appears on strong legs, and Sony says it is poised to have a significant 2010.

Today we had a chance to speak with John Koller, director of hardware marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America, about Sony’s momentum leading into the holidays. When asked about catching up to its competitors, Koller said, “We are making every effort to do so.”

“We know our heritage, we have the PlayStation and PlayStation 2, and we’re a company of strong sales,” he said. “We really enjoy providing consumers with what they ask for. There’s tremendous value in the PS3 and going into next year, we have so much wind at our back. Consumers are still going to be heavily demanding our product in 2010.”

In 2010, Sony will introduce its motion controller, a concept that Koller describes as “the holy grail of gaming, placing people in the game.” The PlayStation version will be more precise and fun than any other product on the market, he said. If Sony’s motion controller appears to rip off the Wii’s technology, it’s important to note that Sony has been developing its motion control technology for many years.

Beyond the new motion controller, Sony has a stellar list of games launching for the PS3 in 2010. We already know about God of War III, MAG, Heavy Rain, and ModNation Racers, but Koller says Sony has some big tricks up its sleeves in the software department, both first and third party titles. We’ll have to wait for more details, but it sounds like 2010 is going to be a huge year for Sony as it builds off the momentum from the past few months.

We will have more of our interview with Sony shortly, along with a look at a time that we believe is Sony’s new golden age.

Sony are a much stronger company than people seem to realise, they are one of the BIG conglomorates and as such have a lot of leverage, Microsoft are another BIG company but have nothing like the assets that Sony have, this means that while MS may be able to buy more exclusive titles due to their larger profit margins, Sony has the economic leverage of its size to get what it needs, this may be why it has taken so long for the ball to get rolling.

P.S That Miyamoto picture in your sig is hilarious, im going to steal it :)

sparda2020 said:

^^Announcing is one thing....and having the actual product is one thing...sony had time to improve the analog after N64 released the analog...

and can you prove that they did announce it first...i'm just curious

http://www.gamezero.com/team-0/whats_new/past/news9508.html

Sony announces dual analog controller^

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=12769

Nintendo reveals n64 controller^

a good 3 months between announcements. So, as far as who popularized it, Nintendo did. As far as who copied who, well it's tough to say for sure, but it's a good bet that sony did NOT copy Nintendo with analog.

I wish I was at the helm of the Playstation buisness. Koller sucks at being amped up about next year.