By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's plans to win the console war

Source: www.psu.com

Ever since the start of this current generation of consoles, Sony has been playing catch up to Nintendo, and to a lesser degree, Microsoft. Whether it was due to launching a year after the Xbox 360, or retailing at a more expensive price point than the Wii, the PlayStation 3 struggled in its infancy. But, ever since the price drop and the introduction of the PS3 Slim, the brand appears on strong legs, and Sony says it is poised to have a significant 2010.

Today we had a chance to speak with John Koller, director of hardware marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America, about Sony’s momentum leading into the holidays. When asked about catching up to its competitors, Koller said, “We are making every effort to do so.”

“We know our heritage, we have the PlayStation and PlayStation 2, and we’re a company of strong sales,” he said. “We really enjoy providing consumers with what they ask for. There’s tremendous value in the PS3 and going into next year, we have so much wind at our back. Consumers are still going to be heavily demanding our product in 2010.”

In 2010, Sony will introduce its motion controller, a concept that Koller describes as “the holy grail of gaming, placing people in the game.” The PlayStation version will be more precise and fun than any other product on the market, he said. If Sony’s motion controller appears to rip off the Wii’s technology, it’s important to note that Sony has been developing its motion control technology for many years.

Beyond the new motion controller, Sony has a stellar list of games launching for the PS3 in 2010. We already know about God of War III, MAG, Heavy Rain, and ModNation Racers, but Koller says Sony has some big tricks up its sleeves in the software department, both first and third party titles. We’ll have to wait for more details, but it sounds like 2010 is going to be a huge year for Sony as it builds off the momentum from the past few months.

We will have more of our interview with Sony shortly, along with a look at a time that we believe is Sony’s new golden age.

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Ever since the start of this current generation of consoles, Sony has been playing catch up to Nintendo, and to a lesser degree, Microsoft. Whether it was due to launching a year after the Xbox 360, or retailing at a more expensive price point than the Wii, the PlayStation 3 struggled in its infancy. But, ever since the price drop and the introduction of the PS3 Slim, the brand appears on strong legs, and Sony says it is poised to have a significant 2010.

Today we had a chance to speak with John Koller, director of hardware marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America, about Sony’s momentum leading into the holidays. When asked about catching up to its competitors, Koller said, “We are making every effort to do so.”

“We know our heritage, we have the PlayStation and PlayStation 2, and we’re a company of strong sales,” he said. “We really enjoy providing consumers with what they ask for. There’s tremendous value in the PS3 and going into next year, we have so much wind at our back. Consumers are still going to be heavily demanding our product in 2010.”

In 2010, Sony will introduce its motion controller, a concept that Koller describes as “the holy grail of gaming, placing people in the game.” The PlayStation version will be more precise and fun than any other product on the market, he said. If Sony’s motion controller appears to rip off the Wii’s technology, it’s important to note that Sony has been developing its motion control technology for many years.

Beyond the new motion controller, Sony has a stellar list of games launching for the PS3 in 2010. We already know about God of War III, MAG, Heavy Rain, and ModNation Racers, but Koller says Sony has some big tricks up its sleeves in the software department, both first and third party titles. We’ll have to wait for more details, but it sounds like 2010 is going to be a huge year for Sony as it builds off the momentum from the past few months.

We will have more of our interview with Sony shortly, along with a look at a time that we believe is Sony’s new golden age.

I want to believe them but the demo in this year's E3 was not too convincing that it has been in developement for many years.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Let's just wait and see if all of Sony's cards will be put into play correctly. It's still iffy, though, with software. It will be interesting to see if the games will move consoles or sales, and I'm eager to see this.

However, the same cannot be said for the motion control. Sure it's precise in its 'motion tracking' capabilities as an add-on for an exisiting add-on, we (consumers and gamers) will see what Sony can do with this. I mean, Sony is just stating that they have been working on this 'for years' but they never released it? It almost sounds exactly like what Microsoft said with their Avatars being in development before the Miis were released on the Wii. In fact, the Miis have been with Nintendo since the NES (that was posted on this forum before, but I forget where; just search for it on here) as fill-in characters for certain games.

Still, let's just wait and see for all this to happen. I got my popcorn ready

mabye beat the 360 in sales *most likely not* but def. not win the console war lol....anyways nice read

Well duh they are'nt going to say otherwise.

Around the Network

I want to know what the "big tricks up their sleeves" are!

i highly doubt they win the console war , but they have won my heart with the ps3 :P

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Attoyou said:
i highly doubt they win the console war , but they have won my heart with the ps3 :P

Same.

It sounds very fanboyish I know, but the Slim is the single most sexy hardware I've every bought. The Blu-Ray remote that comes with too.

Sony won't win anything, it will always be Wii and Nintendo. They are at best the also-ran in the console industry and at worst they are they guys bring up the rear.

Tease.

saicho said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

I want to believe them but the demo in this year's E3 was not too convincing that it has been in developement for many years.

Well, the technology could've been in development for a long time, just the piece of software used to demonstrate it might have been quickly thrown together. I personally thought the demo was very impressive, especially the way the motion was mimicked exactly on the screen.