By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's plans to win the console war

Cheebee said:

... What will all the PS3 fanboys do now, after making fun of the Wii and its control mechanisms for years

lean back and have a laugh at people that are still bitter about it

Around the Network
maximus22 said:
Staude said:
Senlis said:
steverhcp02 said:
Senlis said:
There have been so many inconsistencies with motion controllers and peoples opinions of them. I just observe and choose. If Sony makes a really good motion controller and great games to go with them, I will buy it.

I think Sony has proven over time that they are great at ripping off of what Nintendo innovates.

Tis a bold statement with no glaring examples listed and none that i can think of off the top of my head besides the upcoming motion control, which i agree with your statement.

It was a joke based off of real events.

Sony took the idea of the CD based console from Nintendo.  Nintendo approached Sony with a partnership to develop something I believed was called the SNES-CD.  However, a disagreement between then caused Sony to develop the ideo on their own.

Sony's PS1 controller was remarkable similar to the SNES controller.  When Nintendo revolutionized controllers for 3d games using a joystick, Sony added that too.  Nintendo pioneered the 3D game front, where PS1 followed soon afterwards.

You could say that all of Sony's games are developed off of concepts and developments made during the success of the SNES.  If the SNES was not as successful (assuming Sega didn't manage to fill the void), the PS1/N64 generation would not have been as good as it was.

Really, it would have been difficult for Sony to do anything Nintendo hadn't done at the time, since they came afterwards.  They did kinda drop the ball with the joystick though.

wow you are wrong.

First, It was nintendo who bailed on sony. Ironically sony only made the playstation because they had been backstabbed.. To be dramatic, by nintendo.

Sony pioneered 3d gaming with the ps1. They approached developers who were mostly still developing 2d games, showed them what could be done with the ps1 hardware and how easy it was and made them switch over to 3d development. They did this using psygnosis.. the studio that made wipeout.

The ps1 controller i'll agree was similar, howver, it was far superior in every single possible way. Nintendo has yet to make a controller anywhere near as good as the first ps1 controller. That's saying something.

so.. well you're just misinformed really.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of writing this.

I think you missed the point.

With the SNES-CD/PS1, it doesn't matter who bailed on who.  Sony got the idea from Nintendo.  As for backstabbing, Nintendo broke the partnership because the terms Sony put in the contract were clearly unacceptable.  Nintendo, however, should have done it in a way that did not embarrass Sony.

Nintendo pioneered 3D gaming.  It started with Mario 64, and followed with games like Zelda 64, Goldeneye and StarFox 64.  They were also the ones to develop the joystick, without which 3D gaming would be difficult.  You may find your opinion otherwise difficult to support

I know the PS1 controller was superior to the SNES controller, since it was based off of the SNES controller and then improved.  However, I find your claim that "intendo has yet to make a controller anywhere near as good as the first ps1 controller." when the controller did not have a joystick.  Odd.

"so.. well you're just misinformed really"  I think it is more like you misinterpreted what I said and it seems you are a little too pro Sony.  Remember that it was just a joke at Sony's expense.  I really like Sony, though not as much as I like Nintendo.  Try not to take what I said too seriously; Lets just agree to hate Microsoft together.

Yeeeeeeeep!!!
it seems people are stiiiiiiiillll arguing about the same thing over and over and over and over.
don't you guys feel like you are a little bit.... repeating yourselves?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
Yeeeeeeeep!!!
it seems people are stiiiiiiiillll arguing about the same thing over and over and over and over.

Yeah but somehow it's still a fun topic IMHO.

ultima said:
saicho said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

In 2010, Sony will introduce its motion controller, a concept that Koller describes as “the holy grail of gaming, placing people in the game.” The PlayStation version will be more precise and fun than any other product on the market, he said. If Sony’s motion controller appears to rip off the Wii’s technology, it’s important to note that Sony has been developing its motion control technology for many years.

I want to believe them but the demo in this year's E3 was not too convincing that it has been in developement for many years.

Well, the technology could've been in development for a long time, just the piece of software used to demonstrate it might have been quickly thrown together. I personally thought the demo was very impressive, especially the way the motion was mimicked exactly on the screen.

While the technology part might be true, we'll never see real evidence to show if it was in development for a long time or not.

However, based on the presentation, we can probably say that Sony did not plan to reveil the wand in 2009 E3 since they didn't even have a game to show it off and had to use tech demos. That brings up another question: If the technology has been in development for a long time, why didn't Sony plan any games to support it? Sony has a lot of development teams and they can certainly spare a small one to do a real game around the wand. My guess is that they didn't think motion control is necessary for them or they originally planned to release it next gen which is still long time away.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network

I read all the way to "Sony has been trying to catch Nintendo, and to a lesser extent Microsoft. . ." I should have just read to where it says PSU.com, the last place I go for Playstation news. Sometimes I like to read things about products, not listen to people slob on a company's knob, I can get that in the forums on most any website.

Im still not convinced that the wii really is this Gen, last gen remix, released this gen.

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups 

maximus22 said:
Severance said:
Yeeeeeeeep!!!

Yeah but somehow it's still a fun topic IMHO.

I really didn't think there was anything to argue when I posted it.

Big Tricks Up There Sleeves Ehh ....

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Guarenteed by the end of 2010 the PS3 will have sold more consoles than the 360. The Nintendo Wii will continue to pace the market for two reasons one Nintendo realizes that video games are meant to be social and that means sitting next to your friends eating pizza and hitting the sticks. Second great upcoming games will maintain interest as Nintendo adds features to catch up to the HD twins.