By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's plans to win the console war

STEKSTAV said:

PEOPLE! Please do read more than the topic.

"When asked about catching up to its competitors, Koller said, “We are making every effort to do so".

How does this translate to Sony going on record saying they will win this generation? I read it as "we plan to take more ground with the winds in our backs" i.e catching up.

Also a very good point that i overlooked. Nice post.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
STEKSTAV said:

PEOPLE! Please do read more than the topic.

"When asked about catching up to its competitors, Koller said, “We are making every effort to do so".

How does this translate to Sony going on record saying they will win this generation? I read it as "we plan to take more ground with the winds in our backs" i.e catching up.

Well, to be fair, wouldn't that make your thread title a tad misleading?

I agree.. it would. If in fact it was my thread  :D

steverhcp02 said:
Senlis said:
There have been so many inconsistencies with motion controllers and peoples opinions of them. I just observe and choose. If Sony makes a really good motion controller and great games to go with them, I will buy it.

I think Sony has proven over time that they are great at ripping off of what Nintendo innovates.

Tis a bold statement with no glaring examples listed and none that i can think of off the top of my head besides the upcoming motion control, which i agree with your statement.

It was a joke based off of real events.

Sony took the idea of the CD based console from Nintendo.  Nintendo approached Sony with a partnership to develop something I believed was called the SNES-CD.  However, a disagreement between then caused Sony to develop the ideo on their own.

Sony's PS1 controller was remarkable similar to the SNES controller.  When Nintendo revolutionized controllers for 3d games using a joystick, Sony added that too.  Nintendo pioneered the 3D game front, where PS1 followed soon afterwards.

You could say that all of Sony's games are developed off of concepts and developments made during the success of the SNES.  If the SNES was not as successful (assuming Sega didn't manage to fill the void), the PS1/N64 generation would not have been as good as it was.

Really, it would have been difficult for Sony to do anything Nintendo hadn't done at the time, since they came afterwards.  They did kinda drop the ball with the joystick though.

Senlis said:
steverhcp02 said:
Senlis said:
There have been so many inconsistencies with motion controllers and peoples opinions of them. I just observe and choose. If Sony makes a really good motion controller and great games to go with them, I will buy it.

I think Sony has proven over time that they are great at ripping off of what Nintendo innovates.

Tis a bold statement with no glaring examples listed and none that i can think of off the top of my head besides the upcoming motion control, which i agree with your statement.

Sony took the idea of the CD based console from Nintendo.  Nintendo approached Sony with a partnership to develop something I believed was called the SNES-CD.  However, a disagreement between then caused Sony to develop the ideo on their own.

Sony's PS1 controller was remarkable similar to the SNES controller.  When Nintendo revolutionized controllers for 3d games using a joystick, Sony added that too.  Nintendo pioneered the 3D game front, where PS1 followed soon afterwards.

You could say that all of Sony's games are developed off of concepts and developments made during the success of the SNES.  If the SNES was not as successful (assuming Sega didn't manage to fill the void), the PS1/N64 generation would not have been as good as it was.

Really, it would have been difficult for Sony to do anything Nintendo hadn't done at the time, since they came afterwards.  They did kinda drop the ball with the joystick though.

Well as for the CD, nintendo may have approached Sony but they bailed on them in a very unprofessional way if im not mistaken, i wouldnt call that Sony copying since Nintendo opted for cartridge instead insisting it was better than discs.

I honestly dont think Sony could have made the playstation and then all of a sudden revamped a joystick onto the controller and tacked it on, this was most assurely not copied.

As for the bolded, thats the most grossly overstated comment ive ever read on this website.

steverhcp02 said:
Squilliam said:
numonex said:
Squilliam said:
Sony won't win anything, it will always be Wii and Nintendo. They are at best the also-ran in the console industry and at worst they are they guys bring up the rear.

Sony's video game market dominance is a  distant memory. PS3 is over 30 million behind the first place Wii and the gap is growing. PS4 may turn things around next generation.

They also get the dubious distinction of having the highest selling console which never made a dime. This is the GM vs Toyota effect again, if by some miracle they do manage to sell more PS3s than Wiis then people will still not respect their position and Nintendo will be the defacto industry #1 by profit alone.

That didnt stop people from respecting sony last gen when nintendo made more than the sony games division (didnt it?)It doesnt matter anyway since Sony has as much a shot at selling more than the wii as i do marrying scarlett johansen.

Last gen? "Sony's video game market dominance is a  distant memory" im talking about this gen.

Tease.

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:
Senlis said:
steverhcp02 said:
Senlis said:

Well as for the CD, nintendo may have approached Sony but they bailed on them in a very unprofessional way if im not mistaken, i wouldnt call that Sony copying since Nintendo opted for cartridge instead insisting it was better than discs.

I honestly dont think Sony could have made the playstation and then all of a sudden revamped a joystick onto the controller and tacked it on, this was most assurely not copied.

As for the bolded, thats the most grossly overstated comment ive ever read on this website.

If Nintendo had stayed in that "relationship" there wouldn't be a Nintendo today.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

lol at "Sony's video game market dominance is a distant memory" , it was only 3 years ago p2 was the dominant one before the new generation started, that is not a long time ago. However how things have changed radically and I still think Nintendo found a whole new market, which is why they are having so much success this time, next time the same strategy will not work, because casual users are reluctant to upgrade.
I doubt Sony are even focusing to overtake Wii, their main target will be the xbox 360.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Ok let me throw some numbers out based on rough estimates.

After 5 Years
Wii 75 million
PS3 50 million

After 10 years
Wii2 75 million(assuming 5 year release, but unlikey)
PS3 100 million

So yes, PS3 will dominate Nintendo consoles as individual machines.
However take into account that Nintendo and MS will be on their next machines while
PS3 stick to their 10 year plan. This means that PS3 will be counted as 2 generations instead of 1. So it would require that after the time both machines would need to be added together. Leaving the guessing number game that Nintendo Wiis at a 150 million.

These are fictional numbers to represent a concept and not actually results.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

these threads make me Lol, people argue about the same shit over and over.
the guy said they are doing their best to catch up. so whats to argue about ?? the thread title is misleading.

btw John Koller is hardware marketing team ? i thought he was hardware developer... why do he ask for feedback each time he announce something if he is not going to do anything about it? (ala not developer/researcher)

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Senlis said:
steverhcp02 said:
Senlis said:

wow you are wrong.

First, It was nintendo who bailed on sony. Ironically sony only made the playstation because they had been backstabbed.. To be dramatic, by nintendo.

Sony pioneered 3d gaming with the ps1. They approached developers who were mostly still developing 2d games, showed them what could be done with the ps1 hardware and how easy it was and made them switch over to 3d development. They did this using psygnosis.. the studio that made wipeout.

The ps1 controller i'll agree was similar, howver, it was far superior in every single possible way. Nintendo has yet to make a controller anywhere near as good as the first ps1 controller. That's saying something.

so.. well you're just misinformed really.

Check out my game about moles ^