Forums - Sony Discussion - This could be Sony's PS3 WAND Motion Controller

specialops787 said:
markers said:
theprof00 said:
markers said:
specialops787 said:
markers said:
specialops787 said:
Eh. Slightly less, then I don't care. We all know that the wand will obviously be better. Not because Sony is smarter, but because it was released later. with an awesomely kickass sexy looking ball attachment!

fixed~

Oh shit. My bad. Glad you caught that glaring mistake. 

Ah no problem. Happens to the best of us, I was just in the right place at the right time.

Huh, I thought it said that the whole time.

It did /jedihandwavemindtrick

I keep lawling everytime i re-read the correction.

I bet nintendo is asking themselves why they didn't think of the ball attachment, its pure genius. Sony may have pulled the greatest comeback in all of gaming history once this releases. Its going to change the world!

Around the Network

Erm...I think the first design was better. I don't like holding a giant controller shaped like a.....thing. Whered you get these pics from?

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
WereKitten said:
specialops787 said:

The PS3 Wand and WM+ are both 1:1 motion tracking. The only thing that would make the wand better would be if it can actually track your position in 3D space, as in if you were closer to the TV or farther away etc, which it probably has to do. Otherwise if you were to do a stabbing motion it wouldn't be able to tell.

This has been said many times already: the Sony wand uses accelerometers and gyroscopes to track rotations just like the WM+, plus the sphere positioning and size read by the cam gives absolute positioning in space, whereas with the Wiimote you only get an indirect position reading when aiming with IR pointing.

Actually, 1:1 means nothing in terms of input devices when it comes to rotations as all you get from gyros and accelerometers are numbers indicating the accelerations and relative rotations. The absolute orientation of an in-game object can be kept close to that of the controller only through calculations (and a secondary input calibration), and as such 1:1 is mostly a software feature, not an hardware one. The best you can say is that by using gyros on top of accelerometers the wand and WM+ are accurate enough in the data they report that the software is able to keep 1:1 with much more swift and complicated rotations, where the accelerometers-only Wiimote could not cope.

Makes sense. I completely forgot about rotations. The main thing that will make the wand better though is that ability to detect its location in space. 

LOL! I can't wait for this.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

specialops787 said:

Makes sense. I completely forgot about rotations. The main thing that will make the wand better though is that ability to detect its location in space. 

I can think of many game mechanics based on the positioning, let's just hope for good games making use of its potential. Next year will be a fun one.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Around the Network

I like the design. I don't see the need for them to be tethered together.

markers said:
specialops787 said:
markers said:
theprof00 said:
markers said:
specialops787 said:
markers said:
specialops787 said:
Eh. Slightly less, then I don't care. We all know that the wand will obviously be better. Not because Sony is smarter, but because it was released later. with an awesomely kickass sexy looking ball attachment!

fixed~

Oh shit. My bad. Glad you caught that glaring mistake. 

Ah no problem. Happens to the best of us, I was just in the right place at the right time.

Huh, I thought it said that the whole time.

It did /jedihandwavemindtrick

I keep lawling everytime i re-read the correction.

I bet nintendo is asking themselves why they didn't think of the ball attachment, its pure genius. Sony may have pulled the greatest comeback in all of gaming history once this releases. Its going to change the world!

YOU ARE WRONG! The 3rd party accessory GENIUSES are surely already working on a ball attachment for both the Wiimote and nunchuck! I'm sure the Wii-lollipop attachment will be an entire re-invisioning of controller balls as we know them.

nitekrawler1285 said:
I like the design. I don't see the need for them to be tethered together.

We decided that it could be used to be backwards compatible with the sixaxis. 

Am I the only one who can't see the images?

WereKitten said:
specialops787 said:

I can think of many game mechanics based on the positioning, let's just hope for good games making use of its potential. Next year will be a fun one.

YOU KNOW WHAT GENIUS I JUST THOUGHT OF!?

They wouldn't need any accelerometers OR gyroscopes if each controller had TWO balls!