By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Difference Between a Sony and Microsoft Exclusive

The Difference Between a Sony and Microsoft Exclusive

Since the beginning of this generation, the argument of "exclusivity" has been thrown back and forth between PS3 and 360 fanboys alike. The PS3 fanboy argument is that if the same game is available on any other platform, it is not exclusive. The 360 fanboy argues that if a game is available on 360/PC only, it is somehow a 360 exclusive. This sheer stupidity then leads 360 fanboys to argue that a game is "Microsoft" exclusive, so they can feel like they have an exclusive.

Well I thought it was time to show the difference between a Microsoft exclusive and a Sony exclusive. Xbox fanboys always argue that Sony fanboys hide behind the PC argument, and that not everyone has a gaming PC. There is however, a major flaw to this line of argumentation, and that is the fact that a gaming PC is no longer required to play games that are on both the Xbox 360 and PC. Yes, if you want the game to look great you'll need a gaming PC, but now the cheapest PC you can buy is good enough to play all the games that are on both a 360 and PC.

Next we'll look at why PS3 fanboys "hide behind" the PC, and why they are right to do so.

The main reason why PS3 fanboys hide behind the PC is because you don't need to own an Xbox 360 to play the best Xbox 360 exclusives. For example, before I owned an Xbox 360, I had already played Gears of War, Lost Planet and Bioshock on PC. In addition to this, even when I had a 360, I still decided to get Left 4 Dead on the PC. Many will argue that Microsoft makes money from all these purchases, but they'd be wrong, and here's why. Microsoft receive no royalties from PC games, at all, which is one of the main reasons why PC games are so much cheaper than their console counterparts.

"Microsoft also created the Games For Windows branding program — pretty much, it's a logo on the box that lets publishers like Activision and EA sell their PC titles under the "Games For Windows" brand name without paying royalties." Kotaku

"It’s also important to note that Microsoft does not get royalties off of PC game sales. The Games for Windows label doesn’t cost a publisher anything, but Microsoft is pushing it to try and become a singular voice for PC gaming." G4TV

So a Microsoft exclusive is completely useless, because Microsoft make no royalties off of PC games, apart from those that are made by Microsoft Games Studios. I know many of you will now say, "but you have to be using Windows, which means you already paid Microsoft," which again is a useless argument, because you could say the same about owning a Sony Vaio. PC gaming is therefore more important to Microsoft's survival as an operating system provider, rather than a format which they can make money off.

On the other hand a Sony exclusive is available only on a Sony platform; PS3, PS2, or PSP. What this means for Sony is that all sales of games give them royalties, so games like MLB The Show or Singstar are Sony exclusives which make them royalties. In fact, even Sony's exclusive games will make them royalties on PC unlike those third party Microsoft exclusives, which Microsoft is putting all it's hopes on.

You won't see a Sony fanboy saying the Agency or Final Fantasy 14 is a PS3 exclusive, but think about how many Xbox fanboys will say that about every game available for PC as well?

Cool article.

http://www.ps3center.net/article/349/1/the-difference-between-a-sony-and-microsoft-exclusive/

Torillian: I removed the picture about the 360 fanboy because it seemed highly inflammitory. 

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Around the Network

"The Difference Between a Sony and Microsoft Exclusive"

The latter are actually system sellers ?

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

Actually, people tend to say "console exclusive".

Also, I'd say this article is cherry picking (unless I missed something in the latter half) since some of the biggest games on the platform aren't available on PC. Halo 3, Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 are nowhere to be seen on PC, and at this point, they probably won't ever be.

I could make a list of all the games that are, in fact, exclusive to 360 but I won't bother. I think those three games, which are all pretty massive, tell the tale themselves.

Ariticle is dumb, pic is funny

anyone got an umbrella? seems like a shitstorm is gonna brew.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

This is coming from a PS3 site? BIAS-FREE CONFIRMED?

So Sony Fans won't call a PC/PS3 games an exclusive, yet they call a PS3/Wii game an exclusive? that seems pretty hypocritical 

dsister44 said:

So Sony Fans won't call a PC/PS3 games an exclusive, yet they call a PS3/Wii game an exclusive? that seems pretty hypocritical 

Not a good choice, thats the fault of the article writer. Barasa was being developed for Wii but disappeared and sas reshown later for PS3 leading ppl to believe it was cancelled for Wii and put on PS3, this article was made before the clear up

Xxain said:
dsister44 said:

Not a good choice, thats the fault of the article writer. Barasa was being developed for Wii but disappeared and sas reshown later for PS3 leading ppl to believe it was cancelled for Wii and put on PS3, this article was made before the clear up

It says in the article itself that it is also for the Wii. Zexen even says something in the third post

dsister44 said:
Xxain said:
dsister44 said:

It says in the article itself that it is also for the Wii. Zexen even says something in the third post

Damn... didn't think you read so deep into it....okay i give....HD exclusive!!!!!!