By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official World Cup 2010 Draw Thread - December 4th at 17 GMT

A surprise team always emerges from a tournament, not sure who could do it next year though, maybe Serbia.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Currently playing: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Red Steel.

Wii Friend Codes:

Smash Bros Brawl- 5284 2865 3565

Mario Kart Wii- 0216 0932 4306

Mario Strikers Charged- 034471 707985

Send me a message if you have added me.

Around the Network

My surprise team guess is going to be Slovenia.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Esmoreit said:
My surprise team guess is going to be Slovenia.

I think Paraguay, Cameroon and Mexico have a good shout too.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Wii Friend Codes:

I don't know if Mexico could be considered much surprise, I mean, they're expected to do well. I expect Ghana to confirm what they insinuated last WC, and I think Denmark will be a team to watch

zexen_lowe said:
I don't know if Mexico could be considered much surprise, I mean, they're expected to do well. I expect Ghana to confirm what they insinuated last WC, and I think Denmark will be a team to watch

Good point about Mexcio Zexen, people here in th UK are all saying England are in an easy group, but I think that's asking for trouble.

www.tranmererovers.co.uk

Wii Friend Codes:

Around the Network
SuperSteveyLes said:
zexen_lowe said:

Good point about Mexcio Zexen, people here in th UK are all saying England are in an easy group, but I think that's asking for trouble.

It's hard to say, I mean, the group is one of the easiest you could have asked for, Algeria is definitely the weakest of the 3rd pot, and Slovenia is one of the weakest European nations in the WC. It's easy on paper, just like our group (Argentina's) can be considered easy too. Now, of course England will have to demonstrate it, but for sure it's easier to have to face Usa, Algeria and Slovenia than France, Mexico and Uruguay

I'd say so... Pot A is more devious then you'd expect. Mexico can play rather nice, Uruguay performed well and even though both France and Argentina have made the WC just barely they are soccer-greats.

I yesterday heard someone lamenting the whole "geographic ppreferances" by the way where so many of continent A get's picked and so many of continent B... that the WC could just be the european cup + Brazil and Argentina...

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

i don't agree

i can't see a big difference between france/england mexico/usa uruguay/slovenia and

algeria/south africa

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
i don't agree

i can't see a big difference between france/england mexico/usa uruguay/slovenia and

algeria/south africa

I must ask how much football you've watched if you can't see the difference between Uruguay and Slovenia. Hint: La Liga's last top goalscorer plays for Uruguay, not for Slovenia. So does the top scorer of the Dutch League. So does Lugano, Cáceres, Cristian Rodriguez, and a lot of top rated players. Slovenia may have some good players, but Uruguay has them in spades. South Africa and Algeria, there's a difference too, SA has some known players AND they play at home

zuvuyeay said:
i don't agree

algeria/south africa

France/England, maybe.  Of course, France should have been seeded instead of England (if they had used current rankings).  On their day I think France are a side with more potential than England.

Mexico/USA, yes, are at a similar level.  Mexico has more outstanding individual talent, to be fair.

Uruguay is a far better side than Slovenia.  Slovenia is probably the weakest European team to make it (maybe Greece is weaker).  Uruguay is a strong team with some outstanding individuals.

South Africa are playing at home.  Algeria is the worst African team to qualify.  Any team playing at home gets a big boost in what is expected of them, and I am far happier for the USA to be playing Algeria than South Africa, I can tell you that.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)