By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Nintendo's Efforts to Entice Third Parties Worked Against It?

I have to have ask...... How many times are you guy's gonna have this debate/argument, seriously??...do you guys keep track of many times this has been brought up per week? I mean I haven't NINTENDO gaming related news in days....I mean its mind numbing, how do you do it?...

@LORD TNK - PLEEEEEASE tell me you arnt comparing WW2 with Wii.... you are so melodramatic....stop it

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
Could someone give an example of Nintendo working hard to court a third-party? I can think of many such examples from Microsoft (courting Japanese third-parties, giving a $50 million loan to Rockstar, internal teams to help third-parties such as Epic, various system bundles with third-party games, sharing advertising costs, etc) but I'm not aware of even close to that kind of effort from Nintendo.

I don't follow the Japanese market much, but some specific examples off the top of my head:

Capcom - Monster Hunter 3 - Bundles, marketing

Square Enix - Dragon Quest X - Promised marketing in the West

There has also been talk of Nintendo working more closely with developers behind the scenes.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
Legend11 said:
Could someone give an example of Nintendo working hard to court a third-party? I can think of many such examples from Microsoft (courting Japanese third-parties, giving a $50 million loan to Rockstar, internal teams to help third-parties such as Epic, various system bundles with third-party games, sharing advertising costs, etc) but I'm not aware of even close to that kind of effort from Nintendo.

I don't follow the Japanese market much, but some specific examples off the top of my head:

Capcom - Monster Hunter 3 - Bundles, marketing

Square Enix - Dragon Quest X - Promised marketing in the West

There has also been talk of Nintendo working more closely with developers behind the scenes.

This is true. Monster Hunter 3 is a great success in Japan.

"@LORD TNK - PLEEEEEASE tell me you arnt comparing WW2 with Wii.... you are so melodramatic....stop it"

Wrong world war.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The only thing we may do is support, promote and buy all the best games we may like, and ignore all the rest till' these lazy publishers get the lesson... quality is the only way to go if you want long term success: it's like that for every game, every record, every movie, every book... Wii is not different...

But all the crappy games have given Wii a bad name, a name some used to justify the poor quality of their releases: it's a vicious circle...

Now, some of these games were successful thanks to (naive) newcomers, but nobody wants to spend 50 euros/dollars/whatever on lame entertainment: it may work once, maybe twice, but after... it's over! Let's just hope that people don't blame Wii as a whole after that...

The only thing that really makes me sad is when a really good game is totally lost in that ocean of crap, and has no chance to attract the "mass market": we're informed, and we follow Nintendo's news all year long, but many people can't know if Little King's Story or Muramasa stand out from the crowd... if they can find these anyway...

Bad games deserve to flop, and flop very hard... excellent games? It should never happen...

But most "hardcore gamers" are too busy with their PS360 to have the time (and money) to support quality Wii titles, so the situation is bad for everyone on Wii: the bad devs as well as the good devs...

As it is, only Nintendo wins for sure... so it will be even harder to entice third parties in a near future: maybe it will change next-gen, maybe... but even then, it will always be "people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games": that's a classic argument for many years, now...

And the worst part is that it's totally true: especially when you compare the quality of Nintendo's games with 90% of all the other stuff on Wii and DS...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

Around the Network

In all fairness to third parties, Nintendo put them in a rather difficult position. By setting the processing power of the Wii so far below that of the competition, they made it difficult to financially and technically justify developing games for all three systems, and essentially left them with two options: Either develop exclusively for the Wii, or ignore one of the three systems at their peril. Third parties appear to have chosen the latter based on the performance of the GameCube, where Nintendo declined into near irrelevance in the eyes of the industry and gamers alike. If the Wii performed similarly to the GameCube, then the decision to dismiss Nintendo out of hand before the generation began would have worked out just fine.

Unfortunately for third parties, this generation worked out exactly the opposite way they had predicted. Suddenly, the choices changed to: Either backpedal and throw out all the investments made on developing HD assets (and convincing gamers that HD is a good thing) to follow the market leader, or ignore the market leader and suffer. I can't imagine it was an easy choice, as many third parties would have been screwed either way. In the end, it seems most third parties chose to stay the course, and justify their collective decision, no matter the cost. To that end, they declared war on the Wii, with the gaming media being a very willing accomplice.

Which brings us to today: Third parties ignore the market leader while simultaneously ascribing all their woes to it, the gaming media is collectively delivering a perspective of the market divorced from reality, the core hates the market leader, gamers that own the leading system are severely underserved, and everybody complains. Once the gaming media and the industry collectively declared war on the Wii, everybody in this generation lost.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

@legend11: are u serious ???? Nintendo not helping ?

So much for focusing on MH3, giving it 1st black wii bundles and exclusive MH pads...
So much for bundling wii gun with ghost squad or RE umbrella c
so much for publishing fatal frame 4
so much for giving new metroid to you know who
so much for bundling wii motion + with Tiger Woods and co before wii sport resort...
so much for bundling wii with tales of grAce and samouraï warriors 3

who talking about 3rd parties caracts in SSBb
and who said they gave Mario to sega ? (10m+sales)

And so on.

Try Rage Of Bahamut ! Free trading card and RPG game on ITunes / Android. Use Code : Laa49998 

And get free  rare card.  Enjoy !

How does Nintendo entice 3rd party developers?

MH3 is only on the Wii because the mess the PS3 has been, For all the money Nintendo makes, they never try to get any big games or try to. They don't really help with advertisement unless the developer does it themselves. In fact, they have been worst than the other two.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

This is why third parties should be kept on a short leesh by the first party (All first parties)

I LOVE ICELAND!

psrock said:
How does Nintendo entice 3rd party developers?

MH3 is only on the Wii because the mess the PS3 has been, For all the money Nintendo makes, they never try to get any big games or try to. They don't really help with advertisement unless the developer does it themselves. In fact, they have been worst than the other two.

Nobody compared Nintendo's support to Sony or Microsoft. It was only said in the OP that they've done more this gen than they have in the past (not sure if that's true, but XiaoMay put up some examples).

Nintendo doesn't help the third parties as much as the other two, because it doesn't need to. I doubt Sony or Microsoft would either, if their lineup was as strong as Nintendo's.