By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - if nintendo stopped making consoles....

if after the gamecube, nintnendo decided to stop making consoles, who do you think nintendo would develop for... microsoft, or sony?

do you think nintendo would develop exclusively for one of those platforms, or do you think nintendo would develop for both platforms?

do you think microsoft would pay for nintendo developing for their system, or do you think nintendo would develop for whichever system was actually better...??

i need to know the answers

Around the Network

The one that lets them be the most creative, I think.

They would probably just make handheld games or be like Sega and go multiplat on most games.

Here I'll make it simple. if Nintendo stopped making consoles they would stop making games. Miyamoto and Iwata both stated the day Nintendo stops making consoles is the day Nintendo stops making games.

If you put that logic out and went with the hypothetical scenario that Nintendo did choose to make games for a competitors platform, Nintendo would probubly choose Microsoft exclusively, due to its constant struggle with Sony. Microsoft already has games released on DS and I think Nintendo would return the favour and release titles exclusively for 360!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Depends on why exactly they decided to stop making consoles...

Around the Network

I think if Nintendo chose not to release a console after the GC (which would have been really stupid on their part), then they would have focused exclusively on the handheld market for the time being with the DS, and they would have waited out the current gen of HD consoles so that they could...

A: See which company comes out on top or is potentially the most viable to develop for, and/or...

B: Focus on their next system, which would set itself apart from what their HD counterparts are offering by way of motion controls and other unique gameplay features.

Either way, we'd still have basically ended up with the "Wii", because that was the direction Nintendo has been heading it for almost the past 2 generations.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

nintendo lost money on the gamecube ... sega lost money on the dreamcast ... Sega stopped hardware ... if nintendo stopped hardware ... i would have loved a sega/ninendo console, best of both worlds

Sega For Life - Gaming Died When Sega Died ... Sega <3

The nintendo before - ' wii release ' <3
Sega before ' Software Only ' <3

Anti M$ (Therefore anti 360) - im making it official ... Go play your meaningless FPS Games ...

PeteyPeeps said:
nintendo lost money on the gamecube ... sega lost money on the dreamcast ... Sega stopped hardware ... if nintendo stopped hardware ... i would have loved a sega/ninendo console, best of both worlds

<3 Sega <3 Nintendo

I think they almost earned as much profit on the Gamecube as Sony did on the PS2.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I hope this hypothetical isn't based on the fallacy that Nintendo was at risk during the Gamecube era. One look at Nintendo's financials throughout the past ten years and you can see they were more profitable than Sony's games division every year but one since the inception of the Playstation brand.

If for whatever reason they did not continue their home console brand then I think they would have focused exclusively on the handheld market for now, I don't think we are ever going to see Nintendo making games for anyone else.

Naum said:
PeteyPeeps said:

<3 Sega <3 Nintendo

I think they almost earned as much profit on the Gamecube as Sony did on the PS2.

They did? O_o

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising