By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Windows 7 Usage Passes All Versions of Mac OS X

Tcht! Win-Mac fights are even worse than console ones -.-

OT: It's not a very impressive thing. I mean look at the market share of ms.

On a side note, I have a mac, I don't have any home console, its been a while since I used my DS, thus i'm not a gamer :) Wait, what about C&C Red Alert 3, Civilization IV, Starcraft, Warcraft III, ....meh i think i already made a point.

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Lots of trolling in this thread, control yourselves people, we all have our favorites and each has their own good qualities, but the topic at hand is usage and not how either OS sucks. I've read about half the thread and will be reading the rest when I have time, and keeping an eye on this thread.

Keep it civil people.

can you just ban the trolls?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Lots of trolling in this thread, control yourselves people, we all have our favorites and each has their own good qualities, but the topic at hand is usage and not how either OS sucks. I've read about half the thread and will be reading the rest when I have time, and keeping an eye on this thread.

Keep it civil people.

can you just ban the trolls?

I've been handling it, it's not like I've been moderating anyone that hasn't explicitly broken one of the stated site rules, it's just that this should be a discussion and not a war of favorites.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Win 7 fast success is quite understandable: just like XP did wonders after the appalling Win ME and the excellent, but scary for lusers, Win2000 with SP>=3, Win 7 follows the appalling Vista, so it was as eagerly awaited as XP. Let's just hope that after 2 or 3 SP it will become as good as XP SP2 or SP3, we'll need something at least decent when XP extended support expires in 2014.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I have plenty of friends that love Macs because they think they're 'cooler than PCs'. It's almost like a small fad or something in the past few years. It's also a part of the 'shiny effect'. You know, like the people who went out to buy a Slim, even though their older PS3 was working great and they didn't need the hard drive space; but bought it because it was shiny (my father did this haha).

Personally, I would never even think to buy a Mac as a gamer. Also, I've NEVER had a problem with Vista, and I'm running a single-core, though I have 4 gigs of ram. Though I have noticed it eat away at my memory more than I'd like, it has never caused any issues, and it has never crashed even once. I'm still going to pick up 7 at some point though.

Around the Network
r505Matt said:
I have plenty of friends that love Macs because they think they're 'cooler than PCs'. It's almost like a small fad or something in the past few years. It's also a part of the 'shiny effect'. You know, like the people who went out to buy a Slim, even though their older PS3 was working great and they didn't need the hard drive space; but bought it because it was shiny (my father did this haha).

Personally, I would never even think to buy a Mac as a gamer. Also, I've NEVER had a problem with Vista, and I'm running a single-core, though I have 4 gigs of ram. Though I have noticed it eat away at my memory more than I'd like, it has never caused any issues, and it has never crashed even once. I'm still going to pick up 7 at some point though.

I got my sopy for $39.99...educational price.  it works like a dream so far...fast...not a resource hog...it was the easiet windows to install, as it took 30 minutes, of ocurse it was a fresh install, but get this...I didn't even need to reinstall WoW, which was nice.  It even found the drivers for my canon MX860, for example.  M$ did a nice job, after the crappy launch of Vista.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

specialops787 said:
BoneyBoy said:
AngelFire18 said:
windows will never be as good as mac.

mac will never be as good as windows

I see what you did there.

You did what I see there.

I really like windows 7, I think it's great but I don't think that these statistics are surprising.  Most people will continue to use windows products for the time being, until computers depart from what we understand as computers... even then, MS is still positioned to control the next generation of user interfaces and data consumption.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

PC's for gaming, Mac for everything else. Just like it's always been. I've dealt with enough DLL hell, BSOD, and spyware to know you only use Windows for gaming. Thankfully W7 is a great move foreward it even looks more OS X like than Vista which is quite amazing. The money I save on antivirus and all that other shit and hassle more than covers the $500 (education) I payed for my Mini. And hey whenever I want to deal with reinstalling the OS every 18 months or spyware cleanout there is always friends and family.

I really can count on one hand the number of people who have gone Mac and gone back out of the dozens I have met. The quality ratings, and consumer reports numbers show this as well.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Windows 7 is excellent. I put the beta on my laptop that had trouble handling Vista, and it ran like a well oiled machine. When RC came out, I put it on all my computers and also put the final release on all my computers. The new GUI, performance improvements, home networking functionality, and organization are huge improvements over Vista (which I actually happened to like.)

My wife is pretty much forced to use Macs because the school she works at gives a MacBook to everyone, and she actually came right out and said the other day that she prefers Windows 7 over her brand new MacBook. That actually speaks volumes because my wife is the type of person who couldn't give two shits what OS she's using. Mac or PC makes no difference to her---in her eyes, computers are computers and they are for work. So for her to outright declare her preference for Windows 7 is pretty weird.

It should also be said that some of the biggest Windows haters I know are falling in love with Windows 7 one by one. Microsoft played their cards right this time. Open beta/RC for 8 months, good marketing, a kinder gentler attitude toward OS development in general, etc. And I love that in the the post Windows 7 release Mac commercials, they really don't seem to have much to say about Windows 7. They just continue to make recycled PC jokes and don't tell anyone what THEIR OS actually does.

I'm happy for Windows 7. The praise is much deserved.

averyblund said:
PC's for gaming, Mac for everything else. Just like it's always been. I've dealt with enough DLL hell, BSOD, and spyware to know you only use Windows for gaming. Thankfully W7 is a great move foreward it even looks more OS X like than Vista which is quite amazing. The money I save on antivirus and all that other shit and hassle more than covers the $500 (education) I payed for my Mini. And hey whenever I want to deal with reinstalling the OS every 18 months or spyware cleanout there is always friends and family.

I really can count on one hand the number of people who have gone Mac and gone back out of the dozens I have met. The quality ratings, and consumer reports numbers show this as well.

A) There are perfectly capable anti-virus programs out there that are very unintrusive to your system and will keep the garbage out.  Anyone who pays for anti-virus these days is a sucker. 

B) Spyware:  see A. 

C) Windows XP and all its predecessors needed to be reinstalled every now and then.  It was easy to mess them up and accidentally screw things up, causing BSODs, freezing, DLL errors, etc.  I can't see Vista or 7 having that problem.  They are much more stable OS's than XP or anything before it.  Yes, Vista had some driver issues at the beginning, but most people don't realize that those issues have been sorted out for a long time.  One of the reasons 7 is so good is because Vista took all the heat for getting the new drivers going.  Vista was a whipping boy.  7 is what Vista probably could have been if they just waited a little longer to release it.

D) When OSX has more market share, or maybe I should say IF it ever gains a significant market share, it will become victim to just as many viruses and spyware as Windows.  People who buy Macs because they don't get viruses are falling for Apple's marketing rather than thinking things through--it's not that OSX can't get viruses.  OSX doesn't get viruses YET. 

Any way you stack it, Windows 7 is a good OS.  It's actually an excellent OS.  I am glad to see that MS is not just standing by anymore.  Apple has spewed their crap long enough.  MS has a good thing here and they know it.  Kudos to them.