By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Source Confirms PSP2 For 2010

Is it really all that smart for sony to stay in the "portable wars"?
i dont expect the "psp2" to get much support seeing how badly the first one did in comparison to the competition

hello how are you.

Around the Network

PSP2 = PSP 3000 but with mini blu-ray as the physical medium as the way to beat the pirates? Means they keep the same basic software structure so that the PSPGo can limp along as a DD only device without having to undergo any immediate hardware upgrades.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I honestly don't believe so. More like a new PSP model (4000?), with Sony trying to get rid of the piracy, specially when there's a lot of big software coming next couple of years. If anything, that's actually a Playstation Phone and not another portable gaming machine only. PSPhone would make more sense and could share all these PSP games, having a huge catalog already avaible and a lot of new games coming.

And I agree with some of you talking about the PSP being a mini PS2, Sony should try more unique games for the system like Patapon and LocoRoco.

RafaelOrix said:
I honestly don't believe so. More like a new PSP model (4000?), with Sony trying to get rid of the piracy, specially when there's a lot of big software coming next couple of years. If anything, that's actually a Playstation Phone and not another portable gaming machine only. PSPhone would make more sense and could share all these PSP games, having a huge catalog already avaible and a lot of new games coming.

And I agree with some of you talking about the PSP being a mini PS2, Sony should try more unique games for the system like Patapon and LocoRoco.

Not only PS2, but PS3 as well... for some reason a lot of PS3 games are ported to PSP. This includes upcoming games like Dante's Inferno to games like PixelJunk Monsters.

At least they're adding Minis, and the comic book reader which differentiate the PSP a lot.

silicon said:
RafaelOrix said:

Not only PS2, but PS3 as well... for some reason a lot of PS3 games are ported to PSP. This includes upcoming games like Dante's Inferno to games like PixelJunk Monsters.

At least they're adding Minis, and the comic book reader which differentiate the PSP a lot.

@Bold: True, but that is still very little from what they can do. At least is a good start.

About the PixelJunk Monsters, I think it suits better the PSP! Tower Defense seems to be a great style for the PSP, IMO.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
If this is true, I dont think sony gets protable gaming. They get protabe media center but not gaming...

Why is that? Portable gaming is all about releasing a version every year. Like clockwork. In fact if they focused on $100-$200 minor releases every year with major release every 2-3 years they would do very well. PSPGO is just to tide things over until PSP2 in late 2010. If they didn't release something in 2010, they you can pretty much kiss any PSP momentum goodbye.

Mobile gaming is volatile. If they don't kick it up a notch they will never grab enough market share. The DS is doing good and mobile phone/smartphone/iPhone gaming is picking up. I also expect to see a new gameboy/DS in 2011. We have the DS LL in 2010 already so maybe Nintendo can skirt 2010.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

RafaelOrix said:
silicon said:
RafaelOrix said:

@Bold: True, but that is still very little from what they can do. At least is a good start.

About the PixelJunk Monsters, I think it suits better the PSP! Tower Defense seems to be a great style for the PSP, IMO.

I agree. I got both Fieldrunners and Monsters Deluxe... it's hard as hell to get Rainbows in all the maps.

With my disappointment at the Zune HD's gaming options, I might look at this one. Of course, they price it at $249...you can forget it...my first PS gaming device...ooohhh.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

If true this would be Sony's stupidest mistake ever...worst than releasing the PS3 at $600

^It would make a lot more sense than a Wii HD or Nintendo releasing their next console in 2010 or 2011

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)