By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 165k PS3s sold in the UK - a new record!!

Great launch, but sales will slow down fast. Until big named games and price cut comes I don't see the system trully taking off anywhere, though over the long haul I think it can win the European market.

Around the Network

LMFAO at some of the comments. War Sony!!!

Good numbers ,I think that after those we could aproximate to 110K in both Germany and France ,and some 85K in Spain and Italy .That alone would make more than 555K consoles sold .Thats the core of the european market ,but there are many other countries .I think the 520K number is way too low .And lets not forget the sales in Australia ,UAE....the preorders for New Zealand (5 times the number of the Wii ,no strange as New Zealand is maybe the only place where the PSP is outselling the DS ) . If the sales slow down enought to threaten the console viability Sony will drop the price .The Playstation are always very expensive when they launch ,but Sony knows how to sell and the pace to cut the price and when ,and thats important . One comment ,I have already my PS3 and I have tried to play 5 games I had bought on second hand of the PS2 .Shadow of the Colossus ,God of War ,Devil May Cry ,Final Fantasy X and Buzz .All play flawlessly ,even FFX wich is marked at the official page as with only 1 Star in retrocompatibility play effortlessly and I seriously cant see any problem with it .....maybe a object sometimes that has some imperceptible clipping but otherwise its perfect .Good job Sony .

Top three games were first party too if Im correct

Couple of comments: Firstly - its important realise the PS3 has seen "pent up demand" (over months) finally released and satisfied - at once. Basically *everyone* who wants/wanted a PS3 - now has one. The numbers were expected, but its still very significant that it DIDN'T sell out. Secondly - wait till the (UK) charts next week. Most of the PS3 titles will vanish (if not, they will in 2-3 weeks). This happened in Japan (and the US), and it will happen more here. There will be some users (already with a PS3) going to buy extra games - but the number of new consoles sold will drop to 50k, then 20k, then...? When few consoles are sold, few games will be sold. Its also worth noting that the UK (as reported?) is the strongest country for Sony in Europe (anyone have any ideas or theories why? Maybe 'cos everything is expensive anyway?). ... Anyway - its great that the Europe launch is finally here, and all consoles are on level-pegging (360 still has launched in some countries the others haven't, but apart from that). This is where the real battle starts ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Diomedes1976 said: Good numbers ,I think that after those we could aproximate to 110K in both Germany and France ,and some 85K in Spain and Italy .That alone would make more than 555K consoles sold .Thats the core of the european market ,but there are many other countries .I think the 520K number is way too low .And lets not forget the sales in Australia ,UAE....the preorders for New Zealand (5 times the number of the Wii ,no strange as New Zealand is maybe the only place where the PSP is outselling the DS ) . If the sales slow down enought to threaten the console viability Sony will drop the price .The Playstation are always very expensive when they launch ,but Sony knows how to sell and the pace to cut the price and when ,and thats important . One comment ,I have already my PS3 and I have tried to play 5 games I had bought on second hand of the PS2 .Shadow of the Colossus ,God of War ,Devil May Cry ,Final Fantasy X and Buzz .All play flawlessly ,even FFX wich is marked at the official page as with only 1 Star in retrocompatibility play effortlessly and I seriously cant see any problem with it .....maybe a object sometimes that has some imperceptible clipping but otherwise its perfect .Good job Sony .
France and Germany sales bombed... there's no way either one of them sold 100k. http://www.vgcharts.org/forum/thread.php?id=928 http://www.vgcharts.org/forum/thread.php?id=927

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

honestly, what good does posting the same type of posts that said UK was a failure do? Wow, Deja Vu, i could have sworn those same sites were telling us how badly the UK launch bombed yet we want to now cite them instead of admitting the crap floating around here is just that, crap. Makes sense to me. I guess you can keep clinging to the failure notion until the actual numbers are released for every country, whatever floats your boat i guess EDIT: this is in regards to the links about france and germany

The launch was good... It was expected to be good... You don't sell nearly a quarter billion PlayStations, and then have a bad launch. But no one should pretend it changes anything. We've got to see sustained sales to declare that Sony is recovering. So those favoring Wii or 360, stop pretending PS3 bombed... Those favoring PS3, just wait a while...

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

ioi said: From Chart Track: Sony’s PS3 becomes the fastest selling home console in the UK, selling an estimated 165,000 units in its first two days of release, bettered only by its older handheld sibling the PSP which sold around 185,000. PS3 is the most expensive console to be released in the UK, launching at £424.99 with 22 games from 7 different publishers while PSP had 24 games available from 11 different publishers when it was released in September 2005. PS3 launch software registered almost 3 times more units than PS2, but with a similar software to hardware attachment rate of 1.65 compared to PS2’s 1.67.
Hmmm... another comparison between the PSP and PS3? Except that the PS3 hasn't quite been as successful? Surely Sony won't let itself get in the same position with the PS3 that it has with the PSP...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

bad launch?? ps3? are you sure? it was a good launch, it doesn't matter from which side you look......

PLAYSTATION®3