By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 165k PS3s sold in the UK - a new record!!

Not bad at all. However, I'm guessing Sony merely burnt off some pent up demand, and sales will fall down to US and Japanese levels by May. LTD, how many Wiis have sold in the UK? 250K? 400K? 600K? And how many 360s?

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

gebx said: I wouldn't compare the PS3 to the Wii launch... Wii ran out of stock within hours. PS3 is still on the shelves.
Maybe cause the wii launched with less units? But I thought the PS3 had a horrible european launch?

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

During the NA launch, people were going cuckoo over the PS3. There were huge lines and people getting trampled. But once the hardcore fans bought their units, sales took a nosedive FAST. So I don't know how much I'd read into the launch other than the hardcore fans were all able to buy their units in one weekend without problems.

staticneuron said: Maybe cause the wii launched with less units? But I thought the PS3 had a horrible european launch?
I suppose the pointless question to ask is how many Wii systems would have sold given the same supply as the PS3? There really is no way to know ... The actual important question is when will the Wii or PS3 break 5 Million units sold in Europe? 500,000 to 1,000,000 is a good start but it will need strong sales for a while now if it is going to make it to that mark before the Wii/XBox 360.

Sony being the 3rd to release a console for this generation (Something Sony isn't used to!). Now we'll just have to wait and see if Sony's long term plans pay off...

Good to see this site is still going 

Around the Network

It's a good start for the playstation 3 in europe

I really wanna know what the Wii would've sold if they had the stock available to meet demand at launch day in the UK. The PS3 had a successful launch, but it's not by any means phenominal. UK is Sonyland, so it was to be expected. This could die off soon.

Quartz said: Now we'll just have to wait and see if Sony's long term plans pay off...
Yes. The first week is only a very basic sign. Even the first month will not bew very clear. Thew tendency will be much more important. The PS-3 was a bit hyped on the one hand by Sony Fans, on the other hand by BluRay fans. And now the PS-3 is available. While some people were quite satisfied with the PS-3 some of the hardcore fans were not so overwhelmed. In fact: some of them decided to send their PS-3 back and simply wait. We will simply have to wait if it can contain stable sales or if, after the hype is gone, it lays in the stores.One thing is sure, at least some shops expected a much stronger demand.

NFreak said: I really wanna know what the Wii would've sold if they had the stock available to meet demand at launch day in the UK. The PS3 had a successful launch, but it's not by any means phenominal. UK is Sonyland, so it was to be expected. This could die off soon.
I don't think the Wii has been reliant upon the hardcore gamer type to drive sales. These casual users would never buy into the launch hysteria. These users will typically only purchase after playing with their friends. The Wii can penetrate into a largely untapped demographic instead of fighting over the same user base.

Those cup-stacking ads paid off AFTER all it seems. John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!