By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So next stop for Ps3 = Wii.Impossible?

Again, you are assuming that they don't have the hardware moving power, yet you have no idea how much hardware NSMB Wii will move, or how much the Vitality sensor will move, you say you look at history, how much did Wii fit and the Balance board move when it first came out?

Also you are assumign that GT5 will have any of the affect that GT3 or GT4 had on PS2, you're dealing with a much smaller base , and much later in its life than with GT3, not to mention its the third place console compared to first place with PS2

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
BHR-3 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
BHR-3 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
BHR-3 said:
i kinda meant that "i dont even know" meaning that there not as earth shattering as the ps3 line up

none of those wii games will move HW much most of those games u listed are sequels people who wanted smg2 red steel2 zelda already bought a wii a long time ago cant say that about the ps3 games like gt5 ff13, gow3 twisted metal

my predictions are never completely skewed there most always on point

Moving hardware, that's what NSMB Wii and Wii Vitality sensor, and the like are for

i dont see natal this vitality sensor nsmb doing much for HW i should add that vitality censor to my sig

all im saying is wat the op asks can ps3 be equal or close to = to the wii for total 2010 sales

wii sold 24mil in 2008
ps3 sold 9mil

wii should be around 18-21 end of 2009 down 4m
ps3 should be around 11-13 ends of 2009 up 2-3m

if this trend continues of wii selling less and ps3 selling more than the previous year which i believe will then 2010 will look like this

wii end of 2010 WW 15-18 down 3-4m

ps3 end of 2010 WW 15-16 up 3mill

in term for the op ? it is very possible in fact BHR-3 grantees that the ps3 will sell close or equal to the wii in 2010 and wii all remember that last time i guaranteed something wat happened

See the flaw in that is you are assuming that the trend will continue, however that is unlikely, as this was a poor year for Wii software wise, next year is much stronger, and the Vitality sensor if it succeeds will only carry Wii sales higher

i never assume nothing in every prediction i make public i provide tips i take past data and come to a hypothesis based on it, past data alone is good enough data

ps2 ww yearly sales also went down every year after it had a high peak year it only went up again wen gt4 came i dont think none of those wii games have the hw moving power of gt4 so i can safely say wii sales will be lower again in 2010 than in 2009

ps3 sales should be higher since gt4 was able to raise ps2 sales back in the day after years of steady decline gt5 should do the same for the ps3 raise its sales higher than previous years

What makes you think 2009 won't be the peak year for the PS3? Just as you assume Wii sales will fall in 2010 then why won't PS3 sales too?

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

*Deep breaths*

Must... Not... Argue...

¬_¬

This is hard you know Khuutra.

Listen

You are stronger for this

Noobie said:
PS3 can beat Wii regularly next yr if

1. Sony Marketing team keep advertising PS3 sensibly n give more exposure to exclusive games with quality advertisment in quantity..
2. Sony Wand is launched with decent amount of 1st Party n 3rd party QUALITY games, which keep the interest high
3. Sony GT, GOW, TM, JnD n other franchises launch with a big bang without further delays..

It would take all those plus Nintendo not releasing any new software next year and killing off the vitality sensor

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

week one COD:MW2

Wii hardware  559,315

PS3 hardware 326,920

week one uncharted 2

Wii hardware   396,010

PS3 hardware 268,067

Even with a great game released every week next year ps3 is not gonaa be able to outsell weekly wii. Adding the fact that ps3 price has already been cut a lot is unprobable major price cuts next year. Ps3 has already released slim version and some huge titles come for wii in 2010 so In my opinion is impossible

Metroid: Other M

LOL! Quality games for the new Sony motion sensor. You mean like the party/ casual games announced or the Resi game that will be almost impossible to control?

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

inu_1607 said:

week one COD:MW2

Wii hardware  559,315

PS3 hardware 326,920

week one uncharted 2

Wii hardware   396,010

PS3 hardware 268,067

Even with a great game released every week next year ps3 is not gonaa be able to outsell weekly wii. Adding the fact that ps3 price has already been cut a lot is unprobable major price cuts next year. Ps3 has already released slim version and some huge titles come for wii in 2010 so In my opinion is impossible

wii price cut it's more recent, and nsmb wii was just released also.

it's impossible for the ps3 right now to outsell the wii, let alone lifetime sales.
the only fight that the ps3 can fight right now it's the HD battle, nothing else.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

Hah! People keep trying to tout their system's new hardware accessory as a reason it will outsell. Sorry, but all 3 systems are getting one (Natal, PS3 Wand, Vitality sensor), so for simplicity's sake, I'll cancel them all out. I'll be honest in that I'm still surprised at how well Wii Fit (and Plus) are doing, as accessories added after the fact to the system usually have a tendency to fail. Tentatively, I do think they will all initially make waves, but then I see them falling to the wayside within a year. (It's also kinda how I'm seeing WM+.) Then there's games. Again, all 3 systems have a few big name games coming out, so I'll cancel them out again.

So for a yearly trend, I don't see any change to the order of system sales for the year as things stand now. There may be stuff announced in later 2010 that changes this view, but as it is unknown for now, I can't speculate on it. However, this thread is about if the PS3 can overtake the Wii. So let's look at the numbers:

First, let's start in Japan. Hypothetically, I'll say the Wii settles at a 15K weekly average and the PS3 keeps its momentum and has a 40k/week average. A 25K/week margin gives 1.3 million in a year (measured from 52 weeks), and it would take a little over 3.5 years just to close the gap for Japan. Possible in theory, but I don't see this happening.

Both others and the US are insanely tough to predict, as the Wii has been blowing the PS3 out of the water on average lately. But I'll say that something I can't see happening happens, and the PS3 outsells the Wii by 50K/week in each region, or 2.6M in a year. Again, we'd be looking at a little over 3.5 years in others, and a whopping 6 years in the Americas, again, just to catch up!

In these best case scenarios for Sony, 125K/week over the Wii worldwide gives them 6.5M of makeup each year, or about 4.5 years to catch the Wii. I just can not see Sony maintaining this kind of sales rate on the PS3 for such a period of time. Even a rate of 75K/week would increase the time needed to 7.5 years, which going from now, will still exceed Sony's 10 year plan. I'm going to say with a fair deal of confidence that Sony is not surpassing the Wii with the PS3, unless Nintendo does something incredibly stupid.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...