By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - using the word 'gay' as an insult

^^ that's the kind of ridiculous crap that, fortunately, someone in this post has already explained.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

I think that it's a kind of protest against current politically correct media and political debate language which treats homosexuals as holy cows and which labels you as homophobic just for stating you support traditional marriages.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

stof said:
It's not an argument. It's a statement. people that think saying "that's gay" is acceptable and in no way related to homophobia need to grow the hell up.

"I'm arguing that it is no longer necessarily attached to the original homophobic meaning" Are you stating that the millions of homophobic people don't use it as an insult then? Or are you saying the two "meanings" of insult can coexist quite well, and we should offer the benefit of doubt that when a person uses gay as an insult they're probably just an immature teenager, as opposed to one of the millions of people that are prejudiced towards gays?

To say you think gay is an acceptable term for an insult is to turn a really blind eye to the fact that gays themselves are still struggling for acceptance.

Well said. People argueing in this thread that it's replaced the word stupid are stupid. Use the word stupid, I know what that word means. If it has replaced the word then where do people think it came from, why did it replace it? A word of originating from a derogative meanings is still that. I'm not going to try and turn a racist word (maybe the 'N' word) into something like that am I now what makes it acceptable with the word gay used in such a mannor?

I do have a foundness for correcting people when they use 'gay' in this manner, though. Normally asking them if they mean it's happy or have an attractive to the same sex.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
stof said:
It's not an argument. It's a statement. people that think saying "that's gay" is acceptable and in no way related to homophobia need to grow the hell up.

"I'm arguing that it is no longer necessarily attached to the original homophobic meaning" Are you stating that the millions of homophobic people don't use it as an insult then? Or are you saying the two "meanings" of insult can coexist quite well, and we should offer the benefit of doubt that when a person uses gay as an insult they're probably just an immature teenager, as opposed to one of the millions of people that are prejudiced towards gays?

To say you think gay is an acceptable term for an insult is to turn a really blind eye to the fact that gays themselves are still struggling for acceptance.

Well said. People argueing in this thread that it's replaced the word stupid are stupid. Use the word stupid, I know what that word means. If it has replaced the word then where do people think it came from, why did it replace it? A word of originating from a derogative meanings is still that. I'm not going to try and turn a racist word (maybe the 'N' word) into something like that am I now what makes it acceptable with the word gay used in such a mannor?

I do have a foundness for correcting people when they use 'gay' in this manner, though. Normally asking them if they mean it's happy or have an attractive to the same sex.

Agreed.  Also, those stating the word is simply changing meaning again need to question why the word 'Gay' was chosen in the first place as an insult on online gaming.  Coincidence, or because of it's existing connotations?  The latter I strongly believe.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

zexen_lowe said:
Rath said:
stof said:
Well stated Kasz.

To the "Words change and It means something different" crowd... BULLSHIT!

If you're honestly stating that the use of the word gay can be used to mean dumb, stupid and lame with no connection whatsoever to the most misunderstood, hated and discriminated against group in modern times... Grow the hell up.

Hey, no taking that title away from us atheists. People hate us more =P.

What about gay atheists? I have the world going against me

Well, once we get past the fact that a good chunk of the world hates us, it becomes very easy to sit back and laugh. Let one's misguided thoughts be what holds them back.

Oh yeah, and I was reminded of a survey, though it is now a few years old, and it stated that the group with the most disposable income per capita was gay males. However, given what the stereotype spends it on...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network
zexen_lowe said:
Rath said:
zexen_lowe said:
Rath said:
stof said:
Well stated Kasz.

If you're honestly stating that the use of the word gay can be used to mean dumb, stupid and lame with no connection whatsoever to the most misunderstood, hated and discriminated against group in modern times... Grow the hell up.

Well I've been trumped =P

Come to NZ, we don't really hate on either very much =D

Oh, don't worry, I'm not hated here, I just wanted to boast my "hateability"

You didn't win Favorite VGChartz user so now you're planning to win most hated user.... I'm on to you!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
zexen_lowe said:
Rath said:
zexen_lowe said:
Rath said:
stof said:
Well stated Kasz.

Well I've been trumped =P

Come to NZ, we don't really hate on either very much =D

You didn't win Favorite VGChartz user so now you're planning to win most hated user.... I'm on to you!

Hmmm, lemme see, what other card can I play....

Oh, yes, I hate Super Mario 64

zexen_lowe said:
TruckOSaurus said:
zexen_lowe said:

Good, good just add MGS4 and Halo 3 and you should easily get the VGTorches burning!

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
zexen_lowe said:
TruckOSaurus said:
zexen_lowe said:

Good, good just add MGS4 and Halo 3 and you should easily get the VGTorches burning!

Well, never played either, but I do hate Halo 1, and I didn't like MGS3 (even though I loved MGS1 and 2), does that count?

zexen_lowe said:
TruckOSaurus said:
zexen_lowe said:
TruckOSaurus said:
zexen_lowe said:

Well, never played either, but I do hate Halo 1, and I didn't like MGS3 (even though I loved MGS1 and 2), does that count?

We Sega Fans still love you!

Former something....