By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - using the word 'gay' as an insult

Well stated Kasz.

To the "Words change and It means something different" crowd... BULLSHIT!

If you're honestly stating that the use of the word gay can be used to mean dumb, stupid and lame with no connection whatsoever to the most misunderstood, hated and discriminated against group in modern times... Grow the hell up.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
phinch1 said:
Chairman-Mao said:
shio said:
Some people are just stupid and all PC.

The thing is, time is changing the meaning of the word GAY. Any term can change it's meaning throughout time.

The original meaning of GAY was "happy" and for centuries it remained so, until recently. It's only been a few decades that GAY has been related to homossexuality.

But now, GAY is changing it's meaning again, and this time it is becoming a synonim of LAME. All the people that are upset by this are idiots.

/thread

+1, I say it to people when they Don't come out down town.

For example,Me- Dave come down town later
                  Dave- No can do, im a bit low on cash and the mrs......
                    Me- awww come on man don't be Gay.

This exactly. Good example.

Gay is also a good word for stupid  example:

John: Check out my new shoes!

Me: Those are gay

or

When you just died from a noob tube in Modern Warfare 2 "HOLY FUCK THAT'S GAYYY!!!"

stof said:
Well stated Kasz.

If you're honestly stating that the use of the word gay can be used to mean dumb, stupid and lame with no connection whatsoever to the most misunderstood, hated and discriminated against group in modern times... Grow the hell up.

Hey, no taking that title away from us atheists. People hate us more =P.

Also 'grow the hell up' doesn't become a convincing argument no matter how many times you say it.

@Kasz. I agree that the origin of the new meaning comes from homophobia, I'm arguing that it is no longer necessarily attached to the original homophobic meaning. When most people say 'that's gay' they are not considering the homosexual meaning at all - the intent is purely that it means 'bad'. 

If people started calling things 'kiwi' (because New Zealand is just too long for an insult =P) I'd initially be offended but over time as the meaning of the word diverged from it meaning New Zealander I wouldn't be offended.

Rath said:
stof said:
Well stated Kasz.

What about gay atheists? I have the world going against me

zexen_lowe said:
Rath said:
stof said:
Well stated Kasz.

Well I've been trumped =P

Come to NZ, we don't really hate on either very much =D

Around the Network

It's not an argument. It's a statement. people that think saying "that's gay" is acceptable and in no way related to homophobia need to grow the hell up.

"I'm arguing that it is no longer necessarily attached to the original homophobic meaning" Are you stating that the millions of homophobic people don't use it as an insult then? Or are you saying the two "meanings" of insult can coexist quite well, and we should offer the benefit of doubt that when a person uses gay as an insult they're probably just an immature teenager, as opposed to one of the millions of people that are prejudiced towards gays?

To say you think gay is an acceptable term for an insult is to turn a really blind eye to the fact that gays themselves are still struggling for acceptance.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Rath said:
zexen_lowe said:
Rath said:
stof said:
Well stated Kasz.

Well I've been trumped =P

Come to NZ, we don't really hate on either very much =D

Oh, don't worry, I'm not hated here, I just wanted to boast my "hateability"

No, I'm stating that many millions more non-homophobic people use it as a general term for something being lame.

You should be able to read the difference between somebody insulting someone for being homosexual and somebody thinking something is lame. The two meanings are simply not the same.

Perhaps its partly because in NZ people in general are fairly accepting of people for who they are (we elected a transexual MP before anybody else afterall =P). Maybe the word still has more stigma attached to it in other parts of the world.

@Zexen. That's good to hear =D

why there are so many gay threads in off-topic forum?
That's gay

Gay used to mean "Happy".

Then the homosexuals stole the word, and Gay meant "Homosexual"

Then another group stole the word, and Gay meant "undesirable"

So, when you say that game "X" is Gay, you are not saying that the game is happy. Nor are you saying the game is about nor targeted twords homosexuals. You are merely saying that the game is "undesirable" because that is the meaning the word Gay is implying. It has nothing to do with Homosexuality at all, just as when Gay meant "happy",  it had nothing to do with Homosexuality.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire