By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Reggie: Modern Warfare 2 may have trouble maintaining sales while NSMB Wii will sell consistently

numonex said:
Reggie will be wrong again. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will have good sales legs and it will outsell the ltd sales of NSMB Wii.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 opening sales week on all three platforms of 9.4 million will probably remain higher than NSMB Wii ltd sales.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare had very long sales legs and sold over 15 million copies and counting with the launch of a Wii version of the game. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will exceed the ltd sales of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare due to the much larger install bases and the huge popularity of the Call of Duty series that continues to grow.
High profile Multi-platform games have a huge advantage over console exclusive games.

NSMB we've already seen on the DS near 20 million, and probably will pass it as its still selling, so the idea that NSMB Wii will sell less than 10 million is ridiculous, as for MW2 its first week sales were great, but its not going to break 20 million, the largest selling FPS on 360 is Halo 3 at 10.33 million, and on PS3 its MW 1 at 4.74 million, so you're looking at around 15-16 million on PS360 and add in a few million from PC and you have maybe 17-19 million max for MW2 combined sales, NSMB Wii can beat that

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
BMaker11 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
BMaker11 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
BMaker11 said:
Shut up Reggie. First it was "NSMB will outsell MW2", then it was "NSMB will outsell MW2 on one platform". Now it's "NSMB will eventually outsell MW2 down the stretch".

NSMB won't do ANY of the above, imo

Actually it'll crush combined MW2 sales in the stretch, the only issue is how much it'll sell by the end of January

And what makes you think that? The last Mario game's lifetime sales were beat by MW2 in like 3 days. Why will NSMB fare any better? Do you think that NSMB is gonna be bigger than Brawl and Galaxy and be up there with Wii Fit in sales? I don't think so.

And it's already near 10M after 1 week. Are sales of MW2 just gonna....stop? I don't see NSMB hitting 10M let alone 15M, but I see MW2 surpassing 15M combined, easily

The last 2D Mario has sold over 19 million and is still selling, so nice try

You mean the one that's on the 113.5M userbase Nintendo DS? The system that sells the most and widest array of software? Nice try

At the time of NSMB DS's launch, DS was at 18 million systems sold, PWND!!

Yea, and in 3 years, the userbase has gone up over 6x. And I doubt that the game just stopped selling even though the userbase went up exponentially.

^Why do you think the userbase went up, NSMB was one of the software drivers of the DS's surge, and its still selling more than three years later, now put NSMb on the Wii and watch it work its magic once again, in three years we'll probably be calling this the beginning of the second Wii surge

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^Why do you think the userbase went up, NSMB was one of the software drivers of the DS's surge, and its still selling more than three years later, now put NSMb on the Wii and watch it work its magic once again, in three years we'll probably be calling this the beginning of the second Wii surge

lol

okay, let's not get way over ourselves here. I do realize this is the only worthwhile Wii title this year (and this is Nov), after massive failure of much hyped Wii title by the name of "The Conduit" by many MANY Wii fans here.

let's not make this game the second coming of Jesus on Wii. shall we?

Let me make this clear, Without online play, this game will sell NOWHERE CLOSE to other games featuring Mario

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
kingofwale said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

lol

okay, let's not get way over ourselves here. I do realize this is the only worthwhile Wii title this year (and this is Nov), after massive failure of much hyped Wii title by the name of "The Conduit" by many MANY Wii fans here.

Let me make this clear, Without online play, this game will sell NOWHERE CLOSE to other games featuring Mario

I disagree with just about everything you said, kingofwale.

First, I don't see what The Conduit has to do with the conversation.

Second, I dispute the claim that NSMBWii is the only worthwhile Wii game that came out this year-- sales of some games (such as Wii Fit Plus) beg to differ.  You are free not to like the games that came out, but several customers disagree with you.

I also don't see what online play has to do with any previous Mario game.  No Mario game (either 2D or 3D) has ever been online (I am not including the spin offs such as Mario Kart), and the 2D Marios sell around 20 million each (the 3D Marios can't even claim those kinds of sales). How does NSMBWii not having online prevent it from selling?  You claim that this game will not sell close to other games featuring Mario, but it will almost certaintly sell more than a million (Mario and Luigi games sell about 1 million).  If you are talking about the main Mario series (2D or 3D), you are stating that it will not sell more than about 7 million (Sunshine)-- sorry, it is impossible that this game will only sell 7 million. 

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

lol

ROFL, like Davey pointed out Wii Fit Plus and Wii Sports Resort both released this year and sold a bunch, didn't move much hardware, but they were sequels to games people already owned so its not too surprising.

What Mario game had online?  Only one I can think of is Mario Kart Wii, SMB didn't, sold 40 million, NSMB DS doesn't, selling around 20 million

NSMB Wii is selling faster than NSMB DS, and will almost certainly sell more than Galaxy

what a poor comment.

Is he implicitly claiming that Mario > MW2 LTD ?

Time to Work !

libellule said:
what a poor comment.

Is he implicitly claiming that Mario > MW2 LTD ?

What's poor about it, NSMB will probably outsell MW2