By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Not DS's fault. GTA CW PSP is an absolute FLOP!!!!

PhalanxCO said:
gravess said:
Also maybe the fact it had zero promotion and hype. I didnt even know the game came out yet tbh and im on gaming websites constantly. im guessing im not the only one.

Funny how that's never an excuse for Wii/DS games....

Actually i see wii/ds comercials all the time, sometimes for games that boggle my mind (shovelware). What i meant was I saw a bunch of comercials for the ds version of the game but none for the psp. GTA is a casual franchise, im not insulting it but it being as popular as it is it relies on casuals for sales. Casuals dont go to gaming sites, they watch TV. Im not blaming the lack of promotion on the lack of sales completely but im sure it helped.

Around the Network

what about PSN Sales? this game was on top ten a couple of times on most downloads, so it did good there.

Opa-Opa said:
Not sure if it's circumstantial, but it always seems something is lost during the "port phase." I'm sure the inclusion of Chinatown Wars' mini-games designated for the DS, didn't translate well on the PSP.

Possibly this is true but the games were similiarly reviewed so it's unlikely to be the main reason for the poor sales.

Sorcery said:
Horrible reasoning. Liberty City Stories sold over 5 million copies on PSP, and Vice City Stories sold over 3 million.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, the PSP audience doesn't care about a GTA game ported from a system with vastly inferior technology? It'd be like if they ported a decent Wii game to the HD consoles, no one with the HD consoles would touch it.

Really? That hasn't stopped the HD cultists from crying for Monster Hunter 3.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

flopped? i see everyone playing it, pirate copies.

Around the Network
jonop said:
theres a poster for it on a phone box round the corner from my house. there are some on game sites too. never saw any on tv though.

It WAS mentioned on South Park; I don't know why anyone never mentioned this. Cartman was hyping it throughout the one episode about the economy which was a parody around the crucifiction of Christ.

All the DS owners I know played the game. And I'm the only one of those that bought it...

"Grand Theft Gaming"

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Logic tells us port... but let's not listen to it.

.jayderyu said:

I'm finally glad it's coming through. When R* announced that port for the PSP there was an almost PSP owner rising that it would do better. Though any R* was still saying the major problem with game is that it's 2d. Now the game is awesome, the problem is that GTA is known for it's third person. If R* kept a legacy style continuing from it's PS1 days AND had a Third person then GTACW would have had a better reception due to having a fan base.

It doesn't matter what medium the game is on. The game is 2d and people don't want a 2d GTA. Thsi game might have sold better under a non GTA name.

Edit:
I'm going to get this out right now. COP SUCKS. It's The Conduit of the DS. It will more prove what is possible, but will end up being game with poor gameplay design. Hasn't anyone noticed the stilted simple movement, fade to white when entering/exiting a vehicle. Lack of people, simple driving. It's likely the DS can do more, but this is a unpolished game. Two things can come from this. COP2 will be better and R* might be encoureged that Third Person is very doable on the DS and make a better GTA Wars game.

I think you are mistaking people that said "It should have been a PSP game"

Yeah, the PSP can't sell GTA games.

Oh, wait.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective