By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone feel like gaming has passed them by?

Uhmm..... I'm happy with my DS so I'm not sure.

I've been a lot more interested in gaming before though, I'm not gonna lie.

Around the Network

Console gamers are just going through the FPS craze that PC gamers went through 10 years ago. Its making publishers and developers money, so I can hardly blame them for supplying demand.

New gaming is becoming more and more uninterresting to me. But as long as I have Starcraft and Iccup, I will never stop gaming.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I've played video games for 33 years now and I feel like people are being sold and buying the same games over and over and over again, albeit with the game set in a different place and with a different name or by adding a number after it.
So very little impresses me in gaming these days as very very little is original.
Having said that I still find a few new games each year that still keeps my interest in gaming and am looking forward to the New Super Mario Brothes Wii.

There is more to gaming than RPGs! I love how you people say "all shooters are the same" when you continue to play these uninspired cliché-ridden jrpgs.

Around the Network
Cactus said:

I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, Mass Effect and Ratchet & Clank are all shooting games. Sure they may fall into other genres as well, but for the most part, they involve picking up guns and shooting things.

They are actually quite different. I can't get the experience that I had in Uncharted 2 anywhere else. The same can be said with MGS4, ME and R&C and so on. Unsurprisingly, the games listed here are story-driven/single player experiences. Because the emphasis on SP is so great, set pieces, story and characterization are huge! And because of that, each game you listed are vastly different from each other even though they "involve picking up guns and shooting things."

Serious_frusting said:

Well yh like the title says.

I mean back in the PS1 gen everyone played RPG's, platformers, fighters and action adventure's.

It was during the PS1 gen that I felt that way. The 3D iterations of my favorite 2D games just didn't click with me, and none of the new IPs that came out struck a chord with me. But with this gen, much of what Nintendo has done has really worked for me, and now in just a few days there will be a frickin brand new 2D Mario Platformer. So from my perspective gaming isn't passing me by this gen, gaming is coming back home where it belongs; now if I could just find some time to play all these wonderful games...

darthdevidem01 said:
erhhhhhh?

SMG, R&C, LBP, MGS4 (you can go without needing to shoot many people), TOV, LO, BD, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins.....maaaaaaany moooooore

& thats without the first FF/GT/Zelda this gen

Many more?

Nope, you've named just about every decent non-shooter made in the past 5 years. ok, maybe not every one but you get the point, it seems there is the odd decent game released that isn't a shooter but not like every couple of months which is how it was in the Megadrive\PS1\2 days.

patapon said:
Cactus said:

I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, Mass Effect and Ratchet & Clank are all shooting games. Sure they may fall into other genres as well, but for the most part, they involve picking up guns and shooting things.

They are actually quite different. I can't get the experience that I had in Uncharted 2 anywhere else. The same can be said with MGS4, ME and R&C and so on. Unsurprisingly, the games listed here are story-driven/single player experiences. Because the emphasis on SP is so great, set pieces, story and characterization are huge! And because of that, each game you listed are vastly different from each other even though they "involve picking up guns and shooting things."

I never said that the games are all the same, or anything about their quality. I just said that they fall into the category of "shooting game," which too many people here are ignoring.

llewdebkram said:
I've played video games for 33 years now and I feel like people are being sold and buying the same games over and over and over again, albeit with the game set in a different place and with a different name or by adding a number after it.
So very little impresses me in gaming these days as very very little is original.
Having said that I still find a few new games each year that still keeps my interest in gaming and am looking forward to the New Super Mario Brothes Wii.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this post.

@OP

I get that feeling too sometimes, but for me specifically I am a sucker for a good story driven campaign and local co-op which is falling pretty fast.

I literally have to hunt for these types of games