By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone feel like gaming has passed them by?

@Killeryoshis

Eh already the most hated user on here so its ok, they usually ignore me.

Oh and not all RPG are bad, i liked Fable and Valk Chronciles. But old school RPG like star ocean, tales of vesperia and the rest are all last gen games.

*runs ands hide behind flame sheild*

Around the Network

yes.

it seems gamers were much better when they tried to be fun and not blockbusters

I LOVE ICELAND!

I hate ALL genres.
Every new game should create its own genre or GTFO.

I already played Half Life 2, I don't need the same game with other things to shoot at, with gimmicky new controls, and another crap story.
I already played Elder Scrolls, I don't need another version this time with space aliens.

I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, Mass Effect and Ratchet & Clank are all shooting games. Sure they may fall into other genres as well, but for the most part, they involve picking up guns and shooting things.

A lot of people like instant gratification. You can pop in a shooter play a few rounds of online play and be satisfied if you don’t have much time. You can also hang out with a bunch of friends laugh play the shooters together all night long. Its hard to beat that for a lot of people. What other types of games let you do that? Certainly not a story driven game.

Around the Network

I blame Goldeneye.

Serious_frusting said:

Well yh like the title says.

I mean back in the PS1 gen everyone played RPG's, platformers, fighters and action adventure's.

PS2 gen the same but platformers became less important and shooters started getting a little bit popular

Now this gen it is all about shooters, shooters, shooters. Dont get me wrong i dont mind a FPS now and then but when 90% of the game i like this. I dont know dont you just get the feeling that gaming has passed you by.

All the genre's we used to love no-one cares about anymore. It has very rare i see a good platformer and RPG's the same. Fighter are already the way of the dodo and shooters are King.

When i see games Like MW2 get like 10mil sales in a week it just makes me sad. Where are these kinda sales for the epic platformers and everything else. I think i am still stuck in the 90's or something because i hate most games now a days. It isnt very often i come across a game that i enjoy. but back in the Megadrive days the was too many good games for me to play.

OK i will just shut up now because i am going on a bit too much now

I felt like gaming was passing me by until the DS and Wii came out, maybe you need a new system

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Spiteful49 said:
A lot of people like instant gratification. You can pop in a shooter play a few rounds of online play and be satisfied if you don’t have much time. You can also hang out with a bunch of friends laugh play the shooters together all night long. Its hard to beat that for a lot of people. What other types of games let you do that? Certainly not a story driven game.

Exactly!  I personally love FPS because of this reason.

Shooters rule!

I disagree.

Patapon, LocoRoco, Lumines, Flower, Critter Crunch, Pixel Junk, Castle Crashers, Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigPlanet, World of Goo, LostWinds, Swords & Soldiers, Little King's Story, Muramasa, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Elite Beat Agents, Scribblenauts, AudioSurf, Braid, Auditorium, Machinarium, Portal, The Whispered World.
=> Just a small and very incomplete list of (IMO) original games/franchises this gen already brought us up to now.

Beside those there's of course tons of new mainstream or already established mainstream franchises on every platform, which are NOT ego shooters and still more successful than most ego shooters (Uncharted, AC, R&C, GT, MGS, FF, DQ, Mario, Zelda, SSBB, Metroid, FIFA, PES, Madden and on and on).

This gen also marked the mainstream breakthrough of online gaming and casual gaming (the latter one is not only extremely successful on Wii, but most probably even more on PC).

Gaming is extremely diverse today in my opinion. Probably more than ever.