By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - trashleg's Scottish thread. only

Ech, eres a lissen twa? Ahm bohred alriddy!

JK.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
You know that reads a lot like a Newfoundlander accent, I wonder if they're related.

Trashleg, do you happen to speak Gaelic too, or is that not as widely spoken as I've been lead to believe, or what?

According to Wikipedia, Scottish Gaelic is spoken in Australia, the USA and Canada.

WTF? I can't imagine an American speaking Gaelic.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

In the States? Oh yeah, big pockets of Scottish and Irish families littered about who still probably speak Gaelic in private. That isn't going to die out for a long time.

michty mee, mair fowks in here an ah thocht there'd be awready. lets bash oan!
oh my goodness, there are more people in here than i thought there would be already. lets go on!"

Lesson Twa : nummers an awrat. (gold = monetary terms)

1           wan, yin.
 2           twa, twoo.
 3           three/free/shree
 4           fower, four
 5           five/fiver
 6           sixx
 7           sivvin

8           ate
 9           nyne

10           ten/tenner
99           nyntey-nyne
100         a hunnert

500         five hunnert/five boab

1000       a thoosan'/a thoosand/a grand

an' noo fur the cullurs... the only twa ye hae tae worry aboot is these twa.. cos they're the only yins ah kin hink ae that urr pronounced differently tae english...

bloo an yellae

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.

and aw ah kin remember in gaelic is "hellow, how are you. im fine, thanks. how are you yourself" and "kiss my arse".

ah havenae lurned it since ah wis a wain.

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.
Around the Network
Kantor said:
highwaystar101 said:
Strooth, reading that is like trying to understand someone from Wolverhampton when they speak. Impossible.

Is that why I can't understand a word that obieslut serious_frusting says?

Probably. They have the worst accent ever. It's like an indecipherable version of the Birmingham accent. I swear a girl from Wolverhampton once came up to me and said "Amyamyamuyams?" and I was like what? I knew what she meant (I did work in Wolverhampton for three years), but it was spoken in a manner which I had to really think about.

My girlfriend works as a doctor at a hospital in Wolverhampton and she says even though they are lovely and kind people, you really have to listen hard to them.

@Kowenicki - i think you're a closet scot
@highwaystar - LOL

now tae fill in yer wordbook hing wi these wurdz.. the letter A is brocht tae ye by atherosclerosis (i hope highwaystar with all his sciency knowledge gits this joke ) and "aye".

Aw- all
Aye batter in! - yes of course you can
Ahwizpyoorlik'ahtbut - i was so amazed
Ah dinnae ken – I don’t know
Ah’murnie / ah’mno – I am not
Ah-mur so – I am
"Am gaun tae ra shoaps" I'm going to the shops
Auljin – someone over 40
Awffy – very
Aye – yes
ah cannae mind – I cant remember
Aye right – not likely
Ah wis steamin oot ma nut – I was really drunk
Ah'l smash ye – I’ll beat you up
a hunner – one hundred

trashleg said:

@Kowenicki - i think you're a closet scot
@highwaystar - LOL

now tae fill in yer wordbook hing wi these wurdz.. the letter A is brocht tae ye by atherosclerosis (i hope highwaystar with all his sciency knowledge gits this joke ) and "aye".

Aw- all
Aye batter in! - yes of course you can
Ahwizpyoorlik'ahtbut - i was so amazed
Ah dinnae ken – I don’t know
Ah’murnie / ah’mno – I am not
Ah-mur so – I am
"Am gaun tae ra shoaps" I'm going to the shops
Auljin – someone over 40
Awffy – very
Aye – yes
ah cannae mind – I cant remember
Aye right – not likely
Ah wis steamin oot ma nut – I was really drunk
Ah'l smash ye – I’ll beat you up
a hunner – one hundred

Was it: Now to fill your notepad thing with these words... The letter A is brought to you by Atherosclerosis?

Was it a play on Sesame street and how the Scottish people eat lots of fatty cholesterol filled food? lol.

Aye tink aym getin' d'hang o' dis.

highwaystar101 said:

Was it: Now to fill your notepad thing with these words... The letter A is brought to you by Atherosclerosis?

Was it a play on Sesame street and how the Scottish people eat lots of fatty cholesterol filled food? lol.

Aye tink aym getin' d'hang o' dis.
ah hin ah'm gettin the hang ae this

yes!

tomorrow, we'll go ower the letter B an' some basic wurds. it'll be barry :D

Awesome, reminds me of when I was reading some Irvine Welsh books.