By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - COD modern reflexes looks almost just as good as COD4 on PS3/360

Soap_McTavish said:
z101 said:
The game looks good. The controls are far superior over the other versions. I think this could be a hit and sell more than World at War on the Wii.

I don't really know if "far superior" is the right word to use.

It's a toss up really, there are advantages and disadvantages to each control loadout.

With the wiimote, you gain a bigger sense of perception, however, with a pad you can easily teach your brain to implement this sense of perception.

The wiimote however, cannot possibly compare to the accuracy and control given by the pads, so the auto-aim is seriously ramped up.

That being said, the wii version is lots of fun to play. It's not nearly as competitive, but it is a fantastic shooter and I have it, along with the PS3 version of CoD4.

I only own the wii version of WaW, which is fun.

Honestly though, statements like this are not really valid. In every case, nothing will come close to the level of control available with a mouse and keyboard. The issue is with the scaling of movement to movement on the screen. Mouse and keyboard is and always will be 1 to 1 (with a scale factor that can easily be adjusted) But with the mouse and keyboard you are controlling the entire movement with one hand, and the movement on screen is scaled down from the movement in real life (generally of course, with high sensitivity its the other way around) but the level of physical accuracy is unmatched with a mouse and keyboard.

Controllers come second for accuracy to movement, but that again is hindered by controling the entire aiming movement with one finger. The human body (until trained to do so) just does not have that much control. A skilled pad user will be pretty close to what a mouse and keyboard can do, however.

Wii mote generates realisim, but the fact that your FOV is constrained to a television and that you have to physically move your arms to the edge of the screen to turn makes wiimote fps controls feel highly unrealistic (when using the wiimote to physically point IS realisitc).

I feel this is the biggest issue.

Couple this with more than marginal accuracy issues and the wiimote controls tend to actually fall behind the others in that aspect.

The balance is something like this.

Mouse and keyboard: Highest accuracy, most complicated, keyboard hand awkward in some cases.

Pad (PS3/360): Medium Accuracy, medium complication, medium ergonomics.

Wiimote: Lowest Accuracy, least complicated, highest ergonomics.

The developers balance this in the following way:

Mouse and keyboard: Absolute player controlled modification, any key, any sensitivity, any weight (sometimes called acceleration) No Auto-Aim

Controller: Some customization, pre-set sensitivty, no acceleration. Low Auto-Aim to Medium Auto-Aim (game dependant)

Wiimote: low customization(even rebinding keys wont change how the game is played, whereas with a pad you have four face keys 4 shoulder keys and two analog sticks with two sets of hold/tap options, wiimote is generally a few buttons.) Pre-set sensitivity modification/calibration. (cannot remove accuracy issues though..) No weight/acceleration and Really high auto-aim

In the end they play almost the same, but you cannot openly just say one control scheme is better than an other. Each has it's own flaws. The only time mouse/keyboard and pad will be considered obsolite is when you can be completely submersed in a 3d world where 1 to 1 movement and depth from your character (ie, the character isnt the wiimote) is achieved.

Until then, the lack of force feedback on motion controls will also hold them back quiet a bit.

Cute, but very, very wrong.

In fact, most console shooters have a tremendous auto-aim. Except for Wii shooters. Wii shooters by definition have no auto-aim, unless you enable it, which isn't even possible in most Wii games.

And why would a Wii shooter have auto-aim? Twitch-movement with your wrist is much faster and more accurate than an analog controller can ever be. With an analog stick, you have to "drag" the cursor to your target. With a Wii-mote, you can twitch your wrist (very comparable with a mouse) to move your cursor pixel per pixel.

Customize your CoD4 settings on the Wii a bit and compare it side by side with the PS3 version. If you have learned to use the Wii controls a bit, you'll notice it's much faster and much more accurate than a dual analog controller.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Soap_McTavish said:
z101 said:
The game looks good. The controls are far superior over the other versions. I think this could be a hit and sell more than World at War on the Wii.

It's a toss up really, there are advantages and disadvantages to each control loadout.

With the wiimote, you gain a bigger sense of perception, however, with a pad you can easily teach your brain to implement this sense of perception.

The wiimote however, cannot possibly compare to the accuracy and control given by the pads, so the auto-aim is seriously ramped up.

That being said, the wii version is lots of fun to play. It's not nearly as competitive, but it is a fantastic shooter and I have it, along with the PS3 version of CoD4.

Honestly though, statements like this are not really valid. In every case, nothing will come close to the level of control available with a mouse and keyboard. The issue is with the scaling of movement to movement on the screen. Mouse and keyboard is and always will be 1 to 1 (with a scale factor that can easily be adjusted) But with the mouse and keyboard you are controlling the entire movement with one hand, and the movement on screen is scaled down from the movement in real life (generally of course, with high sensitivity its the other way around) but the level of physical accuracy is unmatched with a mouse and keyboard.

Controllers come second for accuracy to movement, but that again is hindered by controling the entire aiming movement with one finger. The human body (until trained to do so) just does not have that much control. A skilled pad user will be pretty close to what a mouse and keyboard can do, however.

Wii mote generates realisim, but the fact that your FOV is constrained to a television and that you have to physically move your arms to the edge of the screen to turn makes wiimote fps controls feel highly unrealistic (when using the wiimote to physically point IS realisitc).

Couple this with more than marginal accuracy issues and the wiimote controls tend to actually fall behind the others in that aspect.

Mouse and keyboard: Highest accuracy, most complicated, keyboard hand awkward in some cases.

Mouse and keyboard: Absolute player controlled modification, any key, any sensitivity, any weight (sometimes called acceleration) No Auto-Aim

Controller: Some customization, pre-set sensitivty, no acceleration. Low Auto-Aim to Medium Auto-Aim (game dependant)

Wiimote: low customization(even rebinding keys wont change how the game is played, whereas with a pad you have four face keys 4 shoulder keys and two analog sticks with two sets of hold/tap options, wiimote is generally a few buttons.) Pre-set sensitivity modification/calibration. (cannot remove accuracy issues though..) No weight/acceleration and Really high auto-aim

In the end they play almost the same, but you cannot openly just say one control scheme is better than an other. Each has it's own flaws. The only time mouse/keyboard and pad will be considered obsolite is when you can be completely submersed in a 3d world where 1 to 1 movement and depth from your character (ie, the character isnt the wiimote) is achieved.

Until then, the lack of force feedback on motion controls will also hold them back quiet a bit.

In fact, most console shooters have a tremendous auto-aim. Except for Wii shooters. Wii shooters by definition have no auto-aim, unless you enable it, which isn't even possible in most Wii games.

And why would a Wii shooter have auto-aim? Twitch-movement with your wrist is much faster and more accurate than an analog controller can ever be. With an analog stick, you have to "drag" the cursor to your target. With a Wii-mote, you can twitch your wrist (very comparable with a mouse) to move your cursor pixel per pixel.

Customize your CoD4 settings on the Wii a bit and compare it side by side with the PS3 version. If you have learned to use the Wii controls a bit, you'll notice it's much faster and much more accurate than a dual analog controller.

Actually, totally correct.

The issue is that its nearly impossible to point at a specific object with reasonable speed with the wii. It's just so slow and inaccurate that it simply doesn't work for a shooter. To compensate for that, massive amounts of auto-aim have been included in EVERY wii shooter.

Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32YMHKzNZcU

almost every shot is way off of the actual target. Infact, there is a massive ring in which shots that dont actually hit hit the target. This is because it is just too hard to get the wii mote to actually focus on a point like the head, its just too inaccurate and it cannot do it.

You might be confusing the types of auto-aim. The Wii's auto aim is obviously going to be different.

And  theres no way you could possibly aim correctly at the same speed as max sensitivity console pads.

Regarding the Eurogamer preview: While I am the first to say that I hope the successor to the Wii has slightly different/better button layout I really get the impression from reading the preview that those guys don't use the Wii controller very often, none of the manouevres they describe should be any problem for anyone who regularly plays the Wii.

@Soap: i can't speak for the Call of Duty games but Metroid does not have auto aim and it's still blazingly fast and accurate.

Soap_McTavish said:
Chrizum said:
Soap_McTavish said:
z101 said:

The issue is that its nearly impossible to point at a specific object with reasonable speed with the wii. It's just so slow and inaccurate that it simply doesn't work for a shooter. To compensate for that, massive amounts of auto-aim have been included in EVERY wii shooter.

Check out this video.

almost every shot is way off of the actual target. Infact, there is a massive ring in which shots that dont actually hit hit the target. This is because it is just too hard to get the wii mote to actually focus on a point like the head, its just too inaccurate and it cannot do it.

You might be confusing the types of auto-aim. The Wii's auto aim is obviously going to be different.

And  theres no way you could possibly aim correctly at the same speed as max sensitivity console pads.

I don't care about some random guy's Youtube video. I have played thousands of hours of dual analog shooters, and have played all the good Wii shooters. Wii controls are faster if done right.

Ofcourse it's still a matter of taste. Some like dual analog better, so be it. But that the Wiimote is faster and more respsonsive is a fact that cannot be disputed.

It would help if you play some good Wii shooters extensively yourself instead of basing your opinion on someone else's video.

EDIT: It seems the guy in the video has auto-aim enabled. He sucks at the game.

When you are skilled you don't need auto-aim. In fact, you'll do better without it.

Chrizum said:
Soap_McTavish said:
Chrizum said:
Soap_McTavish said:
z101 said:

Check out this video.

I don't care about some random guy's Youtube video. I have played thousands of hours of dual analog shooters, and have played all the good Wii shooters. Wii controls are faster if done right.

Ofcourse it's still a matter of taste. Some like dual analog better, so be it. But that the Wiimote is faster and more respsonsive is a fact that cannot be disputed.

It would help if you play some good Wii shooters extensively yourself instead of basing your opinion on someone else's video.

When you are skilled you don't need auto-aim. In fact, you'll do better without it.

The wii mote is very innacurate based on what I have played.. its not 1:1 and its not even close to the accuracry of the dual analogue which is most of the time 1:1.

mM
Around the Network

yeah sure it does leo-j, just like when you said GT:PSP looks as good as Forza 3

your right like you were then!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Huh?

mM
leo-j said:
Huh?

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=75297

ok you said "almost as good as"

But come one, LOL, please tell me you didn't believe that

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

leo-j said:
Chrizum said:
Soap_McTavish said:
Chrizum said:
Soap_McTavish said:
z101 said:

Check out this video.

The wii mote is very innacurate based on what I have played.. its not 1:1 and its not even close to the accuracry of the dual analogue which is most of the time 1:1.

Leo-j, what are you talking about? Do you  know what 1:1 even means? Unless there's some other meaning that i am unaware of it relates to motion control ONLY. A game with 1:1 control would authentically replicate in the game any movement that a person makes in the real world with the game controller. 

Shooters on the Wii generally don't use motion/accelerometer control much,  they use infra-red based aiming and this is extremely accurate, if it wasn't you were doing it wrong.

leo-j said:
Chrizum said:

1:1? What does that even mean? I'm not talking about motion controls. You aim with the IR pointer. It's just as much "1:1" as a computer mouse and an analog controller. It's just much faster and precise than an analog controller.