By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: The Dumbest Guys in the Room

^^From what I heard m$ knew about the xbox 360 problems for a long time before finally trying to fix it, not trolling, just what i read

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
jneul said:
^^From what I heard m$ knew about the xbox 360 problems for a long time before finally trying to fix it, not trolling, just what i read

It wasn't a long time before launch but it was early enough that they could have delayed the launch.  The issue was they misunderstood how bad the problem was, they believed it was mainly a manufacturing problem, not design like it eventually turned out to be.  One thing that is certain, it should never have launched.

slowmo said:
jneul said:

It wasn't a long time before launch but it was early enough that they could have delayed the launch.  The issue was they misunderstood how bad the problem was, they believed it was mainly a manufacturing problem, not design like it eventually turned out to be.  One thing that is certain, it should never have launched.

Do you think they would've made it to where they are today if they hadn't launched early?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Xoj said:

actually it was made by sony IBM And toshiba they all together, and sony didn't sell the cell, but the fabrics to make it. and they weren't lucky, microsoft  rushed to console xbox was killed in 2005 and 360 released that same year probably without any testing

One more thing to credit to the PS3 is that it ended Sony as a semi-conductor fabricator. BTW they spent a few billion getting those fabs up to spec.

Tease.

@ huaxiong90, Game division losses are reported compared to the prior year not losses meaning negative balance. Live and learn fool, so all the money that Sony "Lost" is actuality a potential profit that Sony didnt get compared to previous year.Sony is the top electronics company in the world and currently holds the records for most consoles sold. Peace looser

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
Xoj said:

actually it was made by sony IBM And toshiba they all together, and sony didn't sell the cell, but the fabrics to make it. and they weren't lucky, microsoft  rushed to console xbox was killed in 2005 and 360 released that same year probably without any testing

One more thing to credit to the PS3 is that it ended Sony as a semi-conductor fabricator. BTW they spent a few billion getting those fabs up to spec.

sony still have fabrics, just huge amount they had in japan some years ago.

they optiarc for blu ray diodes, but they now get the components from other people, the cell from toshiba, and their panels from samsung(it's actually ajoint venture samsung have 51% sony 49%).

their phones are made by sony ericsson (that it's almost independent), and they still make batteries.

but it's cheaper to ask others to build it, apple works that well and they do well. apple doens't even have single fabric.

One-More-Round said:
@ huaxiong90, Game division losses are reported compared to the prior year not losses meaning negative balance. Live and learn fool, so all the money that Sony "Lost" is actuality a potential profit that Sony didnt get compared to previous year.Sony is the top electronics company in the world and currently holds the records for most consoles sold. Peace looser

Not even going to waste my time with you if you're going to resort to personal insults.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Dgc1808 said:
@ironman

Just wanted to say that the whole fw update for multilayered disc thing, it's not to much of a hassle for the update required comes on the disc with movie. PSP has been doing it from since the beginning, and there are a few PS3 games with it a believe. I think the First Ratchet and Clank had it. That's the only one I can think of on PS3.

Yes, yes it is, lets not forget that not everybody has a PS3 that they use as a Bluray player, do you know how many different firmware updates would need to be put out? Quite a few, so, do you really think anybody is going to put every single firmware update on all of their movies? The answer is no.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

ironman said:
thismeintiel said:

So you say I was wrong about not needing a new drive, but then concede that all it would need is a firmware update? Ok. And why wouldn't people upgrade their firmware? It's free. And easy as most Blu-ray players have Wi-fi capabilities for firmware updates and BD Live. But I guess you never update your PC or 360 when it's time, huh? And there's more money in making cheaper products at a larger profit then spend millions/billions backing new hardware, which will have a much smaller install base. Especially this early in Blu-rays life. That's why Blu-ray is around to stay for awhile.

*Sigh* did you not read what I wrote earlier, most people will not update their firmware. They will either not know about it, they will feel it is too much work, or they may be intimidated by it. So companies will begin pumping out Bluray players with the update and it will be seen as a new drive. unfortunately, the benefits of such and upgrade will not be seen by many, and it will never catch on in the mainstream. in this sense, it DOES require a "different" drive If you understand people at all, you would realize I am right.

I once had a DVD player where the sound and picture would get out of sync everytime you played a movie, so I looked it up, turns out there was a firmware update for it. Well during my search I saw many people complaining about the issue in comments, then, when presented with the solution, a quick download and burn, they decided to just ditch the DVD player, and buy a different one where they did not need to do that. now tell me, do you honestly think the same won't happen with the bluray. 

Why the hate for 8-track? It was a success. Ask anyone growing up in that time period and they will tell you they had an 8-track player. Tapes came out the same time in the U.S. as 8-tracks, but were of worse sound quality, and were mostly used for dictation/voice recording. Starting in 1965, most cars were being installed with 8-track players, not cassette tape players. It wasn't until the early 70's that cassttes started to equal 8-tracks in sound quality. And not till the early 80's when it began it's huge boom, mostly thanks to the release of portable players, such as Sony's first Walkman in 1979.

I don't hate the 8track, it was before my time..and actually, given the fact that it has better sound than tapes, I would actually prefer it. however I did research on the issue. Now, your history is a little off, you are correct that 8tracks really picked up popularity around 1965, but the early seventies gave way to the tape, most people didn't notice the decrease in sound quality, and the tape was just easier to carry around. * tracks stuck around, for a little while but 1973 is about the time their popularity dropped. 

And think of this, why would major retails and music companies keep 8-tracks on its shelves from 1965-1982, if it was such a failure? Must have been making money off of it, otherwise it would have just replaced them with cassetes. Now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you are referring to Quadraphonic 8-tracks, as those only saw moderate success in the early to mid 70's.

Why would major retailers continue to sell VHS tapes for about three years after their popularity wained? Just because something isn't mainstream does not mean it isn't going to sell to a large amount of people, it just means it's not selling to the greater portion of the population. 

Blu-ray may not have the same market share that DVD once had, but it has had more competetion, as well. DVD didn't have to compete against a new format (HD-DVD), as well as an old and very popular one. It just had VHS to battle with. Blu-ray also has the increase of DLC to compete with. However, in the next few years Blu-ray will have a majority share, again smaller than DVD's but still majority, over all formats. DLC is here to stay, and it will become more popular, but so will Blu-ray.

Yes, and this is exactly why Bluray will not be as popular as you seem to think, it has too much going against it. 

Another thing to think about is that Blu-ray is BC with DVD. This explains why Blu-ray hardware is being adopted faster than DVD was, but the software is not (though it is still rising). If a movie is released that doesn't show off the capabilities of Blu-ray, you have the option to just purchase it on DVD and it will still work on your player.

That is not enough. Think of this. If a person has a large collection of DVDs, and they can purchase an up-converting DVD player that will give them almost the same picture quality of the Bluray, do you honestly think they will replace their entire collection of DVDs with Bluray? No, they will not

Your whole argument for firmware is ridiculous.  People update firmware, or update products on a regular basis.  You act as if the majority would rather buy a new product rather than upgrade the one they have, which is just not true.  People don't buy a new computer or 360 or PS3 anytime it needs an update.  Nor do they go out and buy new games or software when it needs updating.  To do so would be not only be idiotic, but would also bankrupt you.  I mean you would buy a new product every few months, even weeks, if that were true.  I think it is you that does not understand people.

BTW what kind of DVD player did you have?  I have never heard of DVD player having upgradable firmware via the internet.  Only one I can think of that was upgradable at all was the PS2.  But that was through either random games or demo discs.

I'm sorry to say it, but your history is the one that is off alittle.  True, in the early 70's, cassettes did start to gain ground, due to the increase in sound quality.  However, 8-tracks were still popular, and didn't truly start to lose popularity until the late 70's, when companies wanted to decrease the number of formats for music.  Cassetes proved to be cheaper to make, coupled with their increasing popularity, so they were chosen as the format of choice.  However, as I stated before, cassettes hit their larger boom in the 80's, thanks to the introduction of portable players.  Keep in mind also that both 8-track and cassettes were released in the same year, 1964, and it was 8-track that came out on top for more than a decade, so definitely not a flop.

But just for the sake of argument, let's take your history into consideration.  Even if cassettes took over in '73,  that's still 9 years 8-track dominated.  And considering it wasn't until late 1982 that they were completely removed from shelves, that's another 9 years they stuck around.  Now you said VHS stuck around for 3 years after DVD was released, and DVD is looking to stick around 4-6 more years after Blu-ray, I would have to conclude that 8-track was bigger than them both.

Just because Blu-ray has more to compete with doesn't mean it will fail.  It only means it will not gain the huge market share DVD had, as it had barely any competition.  But I still feel confident it will rise to having a majority share in the next year or two.  And the fact that not everyone will replace their DVD's with Blu-ray is why Blu-ray will be succesful.  Simply put, you don't have to.  You can keep your old movies and just buy new ones on Blu-ray.  Now I don't know how well upconverting DVD players have done, as I have yet to see any published sale numbers for them.  But considering my last trip to Wal-mart I saw one as opposed to the 6 or 7 Blu-ray players, I doubt there is that much demand for them.

xbotz are commerical gamers...... also fucking morons, god I can't wait for sony to pull ahead of the 360 so you idiots of the gaming community would shut the fuck up, and hopefully wake the fuck up and realize you've been a GAMER this whole time.