By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official New Super Mario Bros Wii Thread

I loved this line:

Miyamoto said:

I thought it was most likely that it was the programmer who was drawing these figures. But I thought: "I know how to draw!" I mean, I'm not saying I can draw as well as an artist, but I was confident that I was better at drawing than a programmer. That's why I started by saying: "Right, let's draw something that actually looks like a person's face!" So I drew the eyes, the nose, the mouth and…

Wasn't he an artist himself?

Miyamoto said:

I did. I went as far as thinking that jumping is an original idea and that it should be patented!

I see Yamauchi wasted no time in rubbing off on him...

Miyamoto said:

Yes, I believe that it did. But no matter how far people may drift away from games, their memories of playing Mario are still with them… At that time, Mario had advanced to 3D and we would discuss the fact that there were now two different strands to the Mario series: there was the Mario that had developed in step with consoles as they had become more advanced, and there was also the basic Mario that anyone could play. When I talked about this with Tezuka-san, he said: "Right, if we make another one, it should be a side-scrolling Mario."

I like how Miyamoto explicitly admits here that 2D and 3D Mario are two different beasts...and that the former is preferable to the masses.

Miyamoto said:

That's why I wanted something to appear for players who didn't allow the hint block to pop up...For those players, there are medals awarded for not bringing up a hint block that are displayed on the title screen...With that feature, it now means that if you bring up a hint block even once, you'll want to wipe all your save data and start again from scratch.

o_O

Curse you elusive Star Coins!!!!!!!!!!!

Iwata said:

Ever since Mario Bros., you've had your heart set on making a multiplayer Mario game. You've tried each time, but it's never quite come together… Even with Mario 6423, it started with Mario and Luigi running around together, didn't it?

Huh, never knew.

Miyamoto said:

But once someone makes the assumption that always playing in a high state of nervous excitement is more fun, and they then come to discussing how the gameplay should be balanced, they'll always be trying to ramp up that excitement. But the ideal is actually to make the player feel this kind of nervous excitement in moderation while being able to enjoy playing. However, it is not very easy for us to be able to realize that all the time. So, I think replaying the levels is the correct way to enjoy an action game. That's something that I'm quite particular about.

Awesome interview. Thanks for posting it!

Around the Network

Pretty interesting interview over all. It seemed a bit odd that most of it focused on previous games, but fitting considering how NSMBWii was designed. Now I have to beat the game over again cause of some of the dumb star coins. Blast!

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

This game just arrived today (damn you royal mail) T'is awesome. the music in the boss level for the first world is beyond epic.

How in the hell do i get to world 7-6? I've run over 7-4 and 7-5 with a fine-toothed comb, and i can't see any other point on the map where i could get to a hidden stage, and i don't have the option to purchase the video yet

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

New Super Mario Bros Wii is a really good game. if the DS version hadn't existed, I think this game would have been rated over 90%. Damn reviewers!

But I don't care so much about them. Mario Bros Wii will sell like monster, and no reviewers can do something about it.

Did you know that you can get the Star Power by picking up someone who is in starman?

Around the Network

You go in the fortress where you beat Ludwig. The secret goal is somewhere hide after the mid-level flag in the walls, on your right.

guiduc said:

You go in the fortress where you beat Ludwig. The secret goal is somewhere hide after the mid-level flag in the walls, on your right.

In a Fortress? Huh. I would have never thought to look there.

Thanks

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
guiduc said:

In a Fortress? Huh. I would have never thought to look there.

Thanks

No problem.

Actually, the stage you're looking for is one of my favorite, along with 6-Airship.

nordlead said:
So, how come every time the Penguin suit is mentioned they say you can slide across ice, better grip on ice, swim better, and shoot ice, but everyone fails to mention you can slide across water? That is the coolest feature of the suit and makes water stages a breeze.

I have no idea.  I didn't even know that!  Best suit ever?

I'm taking it slow.

Just got to world 7.

The last battle of world 6 was too awesome for words.