By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official New Super Mario Bros Wii Thread

(With thanks to Euphoria14 for the above music samples. Click on one for awesome Mario music. Thanks again!)

It's almost time! For the first time in nearly two decades, a 2D Mario platformer is coming to a home console, and this time four players can get in on the fun! After a lengthy absence, Bowser's brats return, and they snatch Peach from right under Mario and Luigi's noses. Now it's up to the plumber brothers, and their two new toad sidekicks, to rescue her. Run, jump, slide, throw, fry and freeze your way through nine worlds, all while your three friends join in.

Boxart:

Collector's Tin version:

Developer: Nintendo EAD

Publisher: Nintendo

Genre: Platformer

Number of Players: 1-4

Release dates:

Australia: November 11, 2009

North America: November 15, 2009

Europe: November 20, 2009

Japan: December 3, 2009

As mentioned above, New Super Mario Brothers Wii marks the first time that a Mario platformer has allowed up to four players. Even better, players have the option to play simultaneously, which people have been saying is an absolute blast to play. But those of you who like to solo needn't worry: the game's every bit as fun if you're playing just by yourself.

Worried that the game's been dumbed down? Don't be! New Super Mario Brothers Wii is supposed to be one of the hardest Mario games in the series, especially towards the end, when it harkens back to World 8 of the original Super Mario Bros. But maybe your diet of recent games has dulled down your skills, and you're afraid you won't have the chops to get through the game now. Fear not! It's Super Guide to the rescue! If you die eight times in a single level, and you're playing in single-player, you have the option to activate the Super Guide and avoid the frustrating parts of the game. But you'll miss all the secret goodies if you do this.

Additionally, New Super Mario Brothers Wii includes two separate multiplayer modes. In Free For All you can zip straight to the level of your choice and compete with your friends to get the highest score. Considering how easy it is to foul your friends, it's fair to say this will be Mario's version of Four Swords. In Coin Battle, you're taken to specially designed stages, including one for the truly old school gamers amongst us. There, you compete to collect as many coins as you can before time runs out.

There are three known new power-ups: the Ice Flower, which lets you freeze enemies in place (handy for making your own platforms), the Propellor Suit, which lets you shake the Wiimote and go flying through the skies, and the Penguin Suit, which lets you slide like a penguin, swim faster, and freeze enemies. Anytime a player hits a block which contains a power-up, one will be distributed for each player. You can also acquire new rides, like a Lakitu's cloud. Old favorites like the mushroom, star, and fire flower also make a comeback.

Speaking of comebacks, Yoshi returns as well, complete with Flutter Jump. Every player can get his own Yoshi and go on a total Dino Stampede, gobbling up everything in sight like an unholy plague of locusts. This includes other players, by the way: since you can already stomp them, thrown them, and generally humiliate them, it makes sense that you get to eat them as well.

Yoshi isn't the only familiar face that's returning. The Koopalings, Bowser's seven original children, are all coming back, and in true Mario 3 glory they've got airships and magic wands on their side. Bowser Jr. returns as well, and it looks like Daddy's Little Boy has his claws on Bowser's Clown Ship from Mario World. Nostalgia, thy initials are NSMBW.

Computer and Video Games: 90

NSMBW is a stunning game in single-player, and a chaotic barrel of light-hearted laughs in multiplayer, accessible to beginners while truly challenging to long-term fans. Well done, Nintendo.

NGamer: 85

Edge Magazine: 70

Despite the lack of ingenuity on display, NSMB Wii's thrash of four players does bring uproarious anarchy to the sofa for short periods of time. [Dec 2009, p.86]

Official Nintendo Magazine: 96

IGN AU: 92

Still sorting the men from the boys after 20 years, Mario and Luigi's new adventure is not important because it's the continuation of a franchise we know and love – rather, it's because New Super Mario Bros. Wii demonstrates one more time why Nintendo are masters of the all-ages gaming market; relevant and refreshing but at all times reverent and above all, incredible fun.

Finally, I'd like to thank Smeags for providing these awesome avatars. Pick one out for yourself, or get one elsewhere, and join the fun! Dibs on Iggy! Get 'em while they last!

Update: They didn't last. Here's some consolation avatars instead (with begrudging thanks to Carl2291 ).

Around the Network

I am here for an epic thread.

You got it pre-ordered yet, noname?

I thought about it, but Gamestop's out of my way, and Fry's doesn't do preorders. On the other hand, I intend to show up at Fry's early, juuuuuuuuust in case.

There's a very good chance I will buy this game.

I didn't start off too excited about this (oh E3), but man, my enthusiasm has grown quite steadily over time!

I just....

Playing Mario Bros. with my wife in co-op is going to be awesome.

Around the Network

HEY PAISANOS! IT'S THE NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII SUPER THREAD!

Agreed. Nintendo needs to work on its presentations. They managed to make Mario seem "meh." I'm looking forward to ripping through the main game, then coming back with three friends for backstabbing goodness. It'll be Four-Swords part deux!

You know I've never beaten the original Super Mario Bros.? It's actually my greatest shame!

I can hardly blame you. World 8 turns into a game of "Platforms? Where?" And the castle...oh the castle...

Heh heh heh... I've already got next Sunday booked for 3 of my friends to come on over and join the fun. It's going to be one heck of a good time.

I call Ludwig!

@Khuutra

It's alright. The only reason I've ever beaten SMB is because it had a save feature in Deluxe (GBC). Other than that... I've got nothing.