By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan First Day Sales 11/06

jarrod said:
outlawauron said:
Dead Rising did 90k on 360, no?

I'm pretty sure Dead Rising 2 can surpass that.

Dead Rising had almost no competition and wasn't developed by gaijun.  And it only sold 60k pre-budget bundling.   DR2 will probably pass 100k across platforms, but not on PS3 alone.  The one to watch is Lost Planet 2 imo, I think that has a shot to be (comparably) huge on PS3.  

That was on the 360 in 2006. I think the market situation has changed enough to allow the game to do well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

The PES bundle should push ps3 over 45K

mM
outlawauron said:
jarrod said:
outlawauron said:
Dead Rising did 90k on 360, no?

I'm pretty sure Dead Rising 2 can surpass that.

Dead Rising had almost no competition and wasn't developed by gaijun.  And it only sold 60k pre-budget bundling.   DR2 will probably pass 100k across platforms, but not on PS3 alone.  The one to watch is Lost Planet 2 imo, I think that has a shot to be (comparably) huge on PS3.  

That was on the 360 in 2006. I think the market situation has changed enough to allow the game to do well.

No, I'm saying the only reason DR1 even did that well was it being an early 360 game.  It had little to no competition and a new, hungry (albeit tiny) userbase to sell to.  It was also the first AAA 3rd party game on the machine in Japan.  If DR1 released on 360 now, it wouldn't even sell half that.

DR2 is guaranteed to be Z-rated as well, which will be another strike against it.  I just don't think there's much room for a western made sandbox zombie game on the consoles in Japan.

outlawauron said:
trestres said:
koffieboon said:
trestres said:
@dano: That's already happening.

Care to give examples?

2010 and beyond 3rd party lineup for each console:

PS3:

FFXIV, SO4 International, Front Mission Evolved, Yakuza 4, Ar Tonelico 3, Summon Night 5, Trinity: Zill'Ol, Nier, Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, Super Street Fighter 4, Metal Gear Solid Rising, Sengoku Basara 3 (superior version), Castlevania: Lords of Shadows, Dinasty Warriors: Troy, First of the North Star, End of Eternity, Tales of Vesperia, White Album, Last Rebellion, Quantum Theory, RE5: Alternate Edition.

Wii:

DQX, Hospital, Sengoku Basara 3 (inferior version), No More Heroes 2, RE:DSC, Tats vs Capcom: US.

You think DQX will be releasing in 2010? I think Versus XIII has a much higher chance of releasing in 2010 and I don't see that on your list.

That's why I said 2010 AND beyond.

Forgot about FFvsXIII.

@jarrod none besides FFvsXIII are relevant in Japan.

But my point stands, most publishers are moving to the PS3 on the home console side. Portables still dominate overall, but home console wise, PS3 is becoming the platform of choice for Japanese devs.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
outlawauron said:
trestres said:
koffieboon said:
trestres said:

Care to give examples?

PS3:

FFXIV, SO4 International, Front Mission Evolved, Yakuza 4, Ar Tonelico 3, Summon Night 5, Trinity: Zill'Ol, Nier, Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, Super Street Fighter 4, Metal Gear Solid Rising, Sengoku Basara 3 (superior version), Castlevania: Lords of Shadows, Dinasty Warriors: Troy, First of the North Star, End of Eternity, Tales of Vesperia, White Album, Last Rebellion, Quantum Theory, RE5: Alternate Edition.

Wii:

DQX, Hospital, Sengoku Basara 3 (inferior version), No More Heroes 2, RE:DSC, Tats vs Capcom: US.

You think DQX will be releasing in 2010? I think Versus XIII has a much higher chance of releasing in 2010 and I don't see that on your list.

Forgot about FFvsXIII.

But my point stands, most publishers are moving to the PS3 on the home console side. Portables still dominate overall, but home console wise, PS3 is becoming the platform of choice for Japanese devs.

I haven't stubled upon any source indicating that. oO

Around the Network

3D Dot Game Heroes only shipped around 20k units.. 38% which is 7700 was sold first day.. i think it can sell 80% first week..

OctaBech said:
trestres said:
outlawauron said:
trestres said:
koffieboon said:
trestres said:

Care to give examples?

PS3:

Wii:

Forgot about FFvsXIII.

I believe he is using the much larger amount of third party titles coming to PS3 and not Wii. It's the quote.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
OctaBech said:
trestres said:
outlawauron said:
trestres said:
koffieboon said:
trestres said:

Care to give examples?

PS3:

Wii:

Forgot about FFvsXIII.

I believe he is using the much larger amount of third party titles coming to PS3 and not Wii. It's the quote.

But quite a few of those titles had the 360 as lead SKU and were never destined for the Wii to begin with.

Seems more like a case of we can't compete with Nintendo on Wii and MS give us a nice financial guarantee for making 360 games which we then make quick PS3 ports of to earn an extra buck. It's not quite the same as the PS3 being their platform of choice.

Euphoria14 said:
jarrod said:
Euphoria14 said:
I hope 3D Dot Game Heroes has legs, but it is still irrelevant to me though since I am still getting it here in English.

I just hope Nintendo doesn't sue FROM over it.  It looks awesome, 360 port plz.

Nintendo can't sue. On what grounds could they sue?

Also on the official 3DDG site, in the FAQ section, there was a question regarding 360. They said that it is PS3 only.

They've done it before, Nintendo sued Enterbrain over Emblem Saga being so similar to Fire Emblem.  They settled over it iirc.  Also, FROM/Silicon Studio actually put a Link model (they called him "green hat") in the game's pre-order disc... they're playing with fire imo...

...I'm also hopeful we'll eventually see a 360 release, at least in the west.  It'd make sense given the game's developer (Silicon Studio) actually spends most of it's time on 360/PS3/PC middleware and cross-platform support.

trestres said:

If that's the standard, most of the games in your list aren't relevant either though.

I'd also argue most publishers started on the PS3 side versus Wii.  Wii's gotten the most defection and pickup among the two, but not near as much as the market leading console deserves.  Wii vs PS3 in Japan should look more like... well... DS vs PSP or WiiWare vs PSN in terms of support.  But you're right, for some reason publishers seem to have an issue "letting go".  :/