By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Legend of Zelda RACIST?

I so sick and tired of these BS (insert game here) is racist controversies. It's a slap in the face to people that have actually experienced racism.

Around the Network

many black people in hyrule, the guy at the fishing hole for example.
that article is bogus

EL_PATRAS said:
many black people in hyrule, the guy at the fishing hole for example.
that article is bogus

WHY DOES THE BLACK GUY HAVE TO BE AT A CRAPPY FISHING HOLE??? WHY CAN'T AN AFRICAN GIRL BE THE PRINCESS, HUH?!

marcoberry3 said:
Racism will not die if you keep bringing it up. geez...

At first, I didn't see it but then, poke a couple of holes in Link's cap and................

THAT'S HIM!! 

And now you know why it's called the Master Sword.

I'm definitely going to hell for this one.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Alright, Zelda is racist. Metroid Prime 2 is racist because the black guys, the ings, are the bad one. Sonic is racist because Shadow is black. GTA San Andreas is racist because the black guy is killing the white cops. Dragonball is racist because the blonde-blue eyed super sayans are stronger than the other ones. Lord of the Rings is racist because the Gondor men are superior to the east people (asians) and south people (blacks). Star Wars is racist because Anakin kills Mace Windu. Resident Evil is racist because zombie skin darkens, not to mention Resident Evil 5. Yoshi's island is racist because the white yoshi is better than the colored ones. Naruto is racist because the black guys sound dumb, Final Fantasy is racist due to few black people, etc. etc.

And Call Of Duty is racist because there are nazis.

d21lewis said:

At first, I didn't see it but then, poke a couple of holes in Link's cap and................

THAT'S HIM!! 

And now you know why it's called the Master Sword.

I'm definitely going to hell for this one.

You're going to hell for this one.

scruffybunny said:
sc94597 said:
scruffybunny said:
sc94597 said:
scruffybunny said:
sc94597 said:
@scruffybunny The author obviously isn't very educated. Spaniards ARE White.

Is it so bad to not be considered white?

Of course not, but racially the Spanish are similar to other European nations. Defining otherwise, makes very little sense.

So all of Europe is white now?

Until the last 500  years or so, it predominately was.  Either way, until recently Western Europe has been predominately European/Caucasian whatever you prefer to call them, it doesn't matter if their skin was white or not, they share a similar genetic and phetoype, which denotes the definition of race doesn't it.

I am not really that interested if you think Spaniards are considered white, or if you think they *deserve* to be called white, you implied that  Spaniards deserved to be called white didn't you? Call that what you will. You are certainly back tracking now, using the politically correct term, caucasian, and going back 500 years, what year do you live in, what is the context?

And for what its worth, I was refering to skin color. To me "white" is not a ******* status symbol.

Caucasian is far from a politically correct word. In reality it refers to the people of the Caucus. Western Europe isn't the causcus.  Spaniards have the same genetic lineages as the rest of Western Europe. Their predominant YDNA is R1B, for example. There is also high amounts of J1(from the Romans), and other smaller groups. If white referred to skin color alone then Albino Africans would be White, most North Asians would be White, and many other groups. Race isn't just color. If it were, then Australoids(Australiand Aboriginals is an example of these) would be the same race as Africans, yet they are the farthest apart when looked at on a genetic scale. Also it isn't an opinion Spaniards are "white" it is a fact. They are of the same race as the French, Germans, English, and most of the rest of Europe. As for me backtracking 500yrs, it is a matter of context. The original Spaniards, those who formed the country of Spain, the ones depicted in RE4, are "White" Europeans. To argue that a White American shooting White Spaniards is racist is an example of being uneducated.

Hey everybody. This is Noah. I am the guy who wrote that article over at legendzelda.net

It is just an article meant to amuse and make people think. I do not think The Legend of Zelda game series is racist. Otherwise I would not own a site on it.

The point of the article is to make people understand that references in games do not make it racist. As I pointed out in the article, Resident Evil 5 was called racist when it obviously was not a racist game to anybody who played it.

Zelda is the same way. For somebody on the outside looking in Zelda may seem racist but it is not. All I did was point out elements of the game that overly politically correct people might consider to be racist. But it is not.

As for Ganondorf's skin color. The green was caused by bad graphics on the N64.

But in the windwaker and twilight princess he is obviously black. The Gerudo do take on a lot of middle eastern culture but are defo black.

But again. This was just an article for fun. An interesting topic I am sure you all can agree on that.

Thanks

He just happens to be black. That's not WHY he's the GOD OF EVIL. It could've happened to anybody!

(I still think he's a gypsy.)