By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Legend of Zelda RACIST?

There's no undertone of hatred in Zelda. Not even Resident Evil 5. There may be stereotypes in some games, but I've yet to see one that conveys racism.

Around the Network

Zelda isn't racist at all. Ganon is "black" in the sense that he's a dark black shadow of evil and hatred and darkness.

FF7 and some other games use really really bad stereotypes where every black character has an afro, a gun, an attitude, a boombox, and a problem with the man. They're part of a larger problem from all media, this idea that "black means tough." The most famous black guy in the world right now actually IS the man, and he's a tall skinny nerd from the Harvard Law Review. But you won't find any video games with tall skinny black nerds. Black game characters are tough and crazy, and usually have biceps bigger than your head. That is if their giant biceps haven't been replaced with bionic biceps or guns.

Resident Evil 5 isn't racist either, but at least the fuss over that game makes sense. It IS a game about white people killing black people. But not because they're black. Because they're zombies. Killing zombies is GOOD. But there are games where you kill black people just for being black.

Ethnic Cleansing at Wikipedia.

In that game, they actually used monkey sound effects for the black characters, and your goal is to kill them all.

Yes, it's racist against that mysterious 99% female dark skinned group of bandit warriors.

It clearly parallels another race in real life.

Yeah, what's up with that? You're the ONLY guy from a tribe of entirely hot babe thieves, and you're gonna get all emo and go on a quest for power and take over the world? I'd practice my thieving skills and go around stealing all the ladies' heart containers.

Thats the most ridiculous idea i've ever heard

Around the Network

Hey! Why are those ravens black?! You racist prick!

wow at people

it is not about his color !!!!!!!!!
it is about his color, his noze, his face, the place "his race" is living and the way they are living
He looks like a caricatural arab guy living in the desert and of course, he is a stealer !!!

and, I m not saying it is done in purpose. it is mostly an inconscious racism.

Time to Work !

theprof00 said:

Thats the most ridiculous idea i've ever heard

Those birds are actually my favorite part of Dumbo.  If anything, it makes all black people seem really cool.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

^^^Those crows were awesome!

libellule said:
wow at people

it is not about his color !!!!!!!!!
it is about his color, his noze, his face, the place "his race" is living and the way they are living
He looks like a caricatural arab guy living in the desert and of course, he is a stealer !!!

and, I m not saying it is done in purpose. it is mostly an inconscious racism.

Aren't you the racist here? If I see a guy in the desert in a game then I don't think the real arabs are thieves. YOU THINK THAT. You ARE A RACIST.

Seriously, watch that south park episode where Chef is complaining about South park's flag, they make a very good point there about racism.