By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 surpass Xbox360 for total sales? 2011 or 2012

Won't happen. 360 "slim" + Natal rebrand next year will counter Sony's gains this year. Same story as usual.

Around the Network

i would say somewhere in the end of 2011. Also,why are people telling it wont matter when next gen starts? because when next gen starts all PS3s and 360s are gonna burn and explode???

jarrod said:
Won't happen. 360 "slim" + Natal rebrand next year will counter Sony's gains this year. Same story as usual.

haha 360 slim!! that beast will be too hot to handle if you know what i mean lol

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

There will be time, when price will stop matter.
The only question, what price?

GC cost even 99$.

Bladeforce said:

jarrod said:

haha 360 slim!! that beast will be too hot to handle if you know what i mean lol

Why not, PS3 did it and CELL runs hotter with a larger footprint than any chip in the 360?   I doubt it'll be quite the scale down we saw with PS2 or PS3, but we'll still get an "updated" case redesign to go with the Natal rebrand and probably a price-cut.  

Around the Network
wholikeswood said:
Boneitis said:

The only way that can happen is if the 360 doesn't see any price drops.

Who knows, it might be $99 by 2012.

The cut to £99 for the Gamecube didn't help that sell particularly brilliantly.

Obviously there are differences here, and obviously I recognise that a 360 for £99 offers huge value, but at some point a state of diminishing returns will be reached.

Well the 360 has managed to sell great at $200 and $300. It has easily outsold the Gamecube at a much higher price.

Aside from value, there is clearly a much bigger demand for the 360 than there ever was for the Gamecube.

i agree mid to late 2010, microsoft are panicking now as can be seen by their weak anlysis of their competition. They really have nothing to go on now with the 360. Natal, if it is as awesome as they say (I highly doubt it as it is a Microsoft product and will probably need 10 service packs to get it up to speed not to mention the price) will be wasted on this existing console it would be better on a new console with a SSD hard drive so it can have those service packs and security bugs quashed quickly ;)

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

I don't see it happening. MS just seems to have to much going for it to be overtaken. I'm sure the gap will close a little this year but with natal and the big ms line up next year the gap could get even worse for sony.

We'll have to see sales during and after Xmas to even get a vague idea. If PS3 gets a good boost for Xmas and keeps the current weekly lead after it, and Natal helps X360 but without giving it again the lead, if not temporarily, it could be from late Q1 to early Q3 2011. But there's that big triple "IF". Anyway, this cut is working for PS3 better than the previous, and better than any cut XB360 ever had, so this is a fact in favour of PS3. And about a surpass when 8th gen is already released not mattering, well this is bullshit, late sales give larger profit margins, so they matter a lot. Also, if MS retires XB360 when all of the three consoles' sales are too sluggish to be worth the effort, then nothing to hold against it, but if it does it when one of the others still sells well, to avoid being surpassed, well, that would be a retreat.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!