By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 surpass Xbox360 for total sales? 2011 or 2012

I am bookmarking this thread so I can have a laugh when 2011 and 2012 come to pass and the PS3 is still behind the XBox 360 in total sales.

Around the Network
Boneitis said:

The only way that can happen is if the 360 doesn't see any price drops.

Who knows, it might be $99 by 2012.

The cut to £99 for the Gamecube didn't help that sell particularly brilliantly.

Obviously there are differences here, and obviously I recognise that a 360 for £99 offers huge value, but at some point a state of diminishing returns will be reached.

Some time in 2010 at the earliest based on recent PS3 Slim sales rates or some time 2013 at the latest the PS3 could overtake the XBox 360.

360 price cuts and Natal Project could well and truly slow the PS3 sales momentum down. You are forgetting about Microsoft's $$$ advantage over Sony and it will buy game exclusives and possibly development studios.

haxxiy said:
@ tedsteriscool - mark my words, no current gen console will ever retail for $99. $129-149 at best.

Nay. Will it be soon? No. But eventually the 360 and Wii WILL be $99.

The PS3 on the otherhand has a mandatory HDD, Bluray, wi-fi, etc. Unless they can remove even more features it'll never be $99.

if this will happen then it got to happen before Natal will be released...cause u dont know how big natal will be...and if its a success than Sony will never beat the X360 sales except they get a GTA and CoD exclusive!

Around the Network

mid to late 2010 dont listen to the xdorks ;)

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Possible 360 price cuts.
2010:
$149 XBox 360 Arcade. $249 XBox 360 Elite
2011:
$129 XBox 360 Arcade. $199 XBox 360 Elite
2012:
$99 XBox 360 Arcade. $149 XBox 360 Elite.
The impact of the XBox 360 price cuts is anyone's guess.

2010 Natal Project launched. 360 has a good games library including multi-platform and console exclusive games for 2010. Halo:Reach comes out in 2010 which is one of the biggest console games of the year. 3 years since Halo 3 and not an expansion pack which was Halo 3:ODST that came out in 2009.

even if PS3 were to continue to outsell the 360 like it is right now, it would still be sometime in 2012 before it could pass the 360, however the chance of MS allowing Sony to outsell it like this for more than a year without doing something, is extremely unlikely, since MS can afford it better, they'll probably price cut the 360 forcing Sony to either match price cuts and lose more money, or surrender any chance of overtaking the 360.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@ numonex: weird how odst was NOT considered an expansion when it wasn't released and now that it's released, it's "it's an expansion pack" on this site...

Next year,
earliest - middle 2010, latest - the end of 2010.
Reason: Gran Turismo 5.