By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IYO, what are the worst things this gen has brought to the table?

Fanboys are with every generation, but I suppose they are particularly bad this generation...

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Exclusive DLC. I don't even mean console exclusive, either. I mean store exclusive. There is no reason in hell why anybody should only get Stone Cold Steve Austin in WWE Smackdown vs. Raw if they pre-order from Gamestop. That's B.S., and it's happening more and more, as time progresses. I hate this.

100% agree here. 

also, i have a love/hate relationship with DLC and patches.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
ffirebrand_cloud said:
Neoraf said:
nen-suer said:

2-lack of jrpgs on home consoles

What???

JRPGs already released this gen:

on Xbox 360:

• Lost Odyssey (the best JRPG this gen, imo) 
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Blue Dragon
  • The Last Remnant     - 66 metacritic 
  • Magna Carta 2        -69 metacritic
  • Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope   - 72 metacritic
  • Spectral Force 3         -59 metacritic
  • Unfinite Undiscovery        -68 metacritic
  • Final Fantasy IX         - last gen game, totally playable on ps2/ps3
  • Phantasy Star Universe           -64 metacritic / also has a ps2 version

on PS3:

• Valkyria Chronicles
  • Disgaea 3
  • Demon's Souls                BTW, you forgot to add Folklore

on Wii:

• Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon       
  • Dragon Quest Swords
  • Tales of Symphonia: DotNW
  • Final Fantasy Cristal Chronicles

on PS360:

• Eternal Sonata
  • Enchanted Arms

So you played all of them?
Oh... I guess you're a '1-console-only' owner... if true, I'm sad for you.
And let me guess... you're stuck with the poorest of the 3 right now, the PS3.
Another teen thinking Sony would always be the king of RPG? I'm only guessing.

I'm tired of people crying "but... but... there is no JRPGs this gen"
Open your eyes
Go buy consoles.

And don't let brand-loyalty fool you.

So then, you are telling me to drop 200 dollars more on another console to play mediocre games? 

Also, you must not overlook the fact that compared to the last two gens, the current one is nothing short of PATHETIC in terms of 

JRPG's. That's why true fans of the genre complain of the lack of QUALITY games this gen, and we are completely right. Outside of some quality games like the Tales games, VC and LO, all other efforts have fallen short of delivering a quality product, on all fronts. 

Fortunately, that trend may have started to revert, starting with Demon's Souls, and continuing with WKC, FFXIII, FFXIV, etc. 

Sigh....Why do people keep fighting over 'What console has the best JRPGs'.  Its been shown time and time again that the entire Japanese market has jumped ship to handhelds.  And likewise, SO HAS THE JRPG MARKET!  There's more JRPGs coming out each year on the DS and PSP then there has been for ALL the consoles combined for ALL 4 years.  Stop trying to fight over Demon Souls vs Lost Odyssey.

Sigh... why do people keep sucking at reading comprehension?

Can you please highlight where I said certain console had better JRPG's than another one? I just edited his post with metacritic scores to make him see how many console JRPG's have very poor quality standards nowadays. 

Oh and by the way, if you didn't notice, the context is console gaming. I enjoy portable gaming, but you have to agree that a great console JRPG>>>> great portable JRPG. 

Oh and can you mention where I fought over DS and LO?? I actually PRAISED both games. LOL. Learn how to read man. 

ffirebrand_cloud said:

Can you please highlight where I said certain console had better JRPG's than another one? I just edited his post with metacritic scores to make him see how many console JRPG's have very poor quality standards nowadays. 

Oh and by the way, if you didn't notice, the context is console gaming. I enjoy portable gaming, but you have to agree that a great console JRPG>>>> great portable JRPG. 

Oh and can you mention where I fought over DS and LO?? I actually PRAISED both games. LOL. Learn how to read man. 

I agree with nothing of the sort

Khuutra said:
ffirebrand_cloud said:

I too completely disagree.  You just completely proved my previous post.  Which was many people are just focusing way too much on console RPGs being the only good RPGs and completely discounting the fact that both the Japanese market has shifted to handhelds AND the majority of its GOOD RPGs have gone to handhelds.

In the end, I just cut to the chase and summed up what these threads always boil down to.  A pointless debate of 'which [X] Exclusive 360 RPG is better than [X] Exclusive PS3 RPG'.  Totally ignoring the fact that the vast majority of JRPGs are on the DS and PSP.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

1-Nintendo. Enough said.

2-is it me or is this gen full of to many fanboys to what ever console they prefer. so yes the uprising of to many fanboys.

3- VG sites are terrible now a day, immature, bias, and completely stupid. I dont bother reading reviews anymore.

4- lack of money and lack of time. Boys going up.

Khuutra said:
ffirebrand_cloud said:

Okay, I completely admit I screwed up posting my opinion as a fact. Everyone has their tastes. 

-DLC that's released 1 day to a week after the initial release of the game.

- Wii shovel ware selling well, worth while 3rd party efforts sell like crap, while Nintendo fanboys blame 3rd part for being lazy with out acknowledging the existence of the very people who make shovel ware so successful.

-motion controls (yes this includes the PS3 GEM, and Natal)

-RRoD and YLOD

-way to many peripherals

I don’t like how the industry is split in 2. I'm looking at the High Def and Standard Def split. For the last 2 generations we had consoles that put very similar quality renderings on our TV screens and did pretty much the same thing, except for Nintendo’s neglect of CD and DVD compatibility. It came down to the controllers, exclusives, and where your loyalties stood.

This generation though we are forced to make a decision that I don’t think gamers should be forced to make. We either take the visually lower end of the gaming industry in order to have our motion controls and games that are supported purely on game play but do very little to entice the visual senses. Or we forgo these motion controls, which may or may not be a gimmick depending on where you stand, for games that are visually stunning, beautiful and teaming with life.

The thing is for me, the Wii never delivered this amazing game play advantage. So it lost its purpose quite quickly. I did try to renew it with Mario games and other assorted 3rd party games but after the thrill of twilight princess, metroid prime 3 and warrioware wore off there was nothing solid on the system that interested me. I even tried to bring my love for Geometry Wars to the Wii but I found it to have huge control issues (I blame myself for not listening to IGN)

So I turned from Nintendo. And that’s what I hate, that I was forced out of my love for Nintendo. That Nintendo made me make that decision! I quickly realised that it wasn’t so much that I loved Nintendo, but I loved gaming. So it was a sad loss, but I am better for it. I would have preferred to still care about Nintendo given I spent so many years supporting them and now they are succeeding again it would have been a nice victory for me. But it seems as though I have one again gone with the potentially loosing system, the 360. Only because I prefer the controller over the ps3’s. It all came down to the position of the L and R triggers.

Such a fickle industry this is that customers would base their loyalty on something as small as the position of 2 buttons. But I prefer this kind of decision making over the monumental decision of Wii or HD

If at first you don't succeed, you fail

half assed bugs and glitches then waiting months and months for update patch