By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IYO, what are the worst things this gen has brought to the table?

I agree it's a bummer paying $60 for new games, but I think the price is very fair considering what we get out of it and all the work put into one.

Around the Network
Neoraf said:
nen-suer said:

2-lack of jrpgs on home consoles

What???

JRPGs already released this gen:

on Xbox 360:

• Lost Odyssey (the best JRPG this gen, imo) 
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Blue Dragon
  • The Last Remnant     - 66 metacritic 
  • Magna Carta 2        -69 metacritic
  • Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope   - 72 metacritic
  • Spectral Force 3         -59 metacritic
  • Unfinite Undiscovery        -68 metacritic
  • Final Fantasy IX         - last gen game, totally playable on ps2/ps3
  • Phantasy Star Universe           -64 metacritic / also has a ps2 version

on PS3:

• Valkyria Chronicles
  • Disgaea 3
  • Demon's Souls                BTW, you forgot to add Folklore

on Wii:

• Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon       
  • Dragon Quest Swords
  • Tales of Symphonia: DotNW
  • Final Fantasy Cristal Chronicles

on PS360:

• Eternal Sonata
  • Enchanted Arms

So you played all of them?
Oh... I guess you're a '1-console-only' owner... if true, I'm sad for you.
And let me guess... you're stuck with the poorest of the 3 right now, the PS3.
Another teen thinking Sony would always be the king of RPG? I'm only guessing.

I'm tired of people crying "but... but... there is no JRPGs this gen"
Open your eyes
Go buy consoles.

And don't let brand-loyalty fool you.

So then, you are telling me to drop 200 dollars more on another console to play mediocre games? 

Also, you must not overlook the fact that compared to the last two gens, the current one is nothing short of PATHETIC in terms of 

JRPG's. That's why true fans of the genre complain of the lack of QUALITY games this gen, and we are completely right. Outside of some quality games like the Tales games, VC and LO, all other efforts have fallen short of delivering a quality product, on all fronts. 

Fortunately, that trend may have started to revert, starting with Demon's Souls, and continuing with WKC, FFXIII, FFXIV, etc. 

Mr Khan said:

This horrible elitism that now seems to permeate the gaming media.

This.

That's right, just one "d"

In b4 "it's addict"
-----------------------------------------------
Add me:

ffirebrand_cloud said:
Neoraf said:
nen-suer said:

What???

on Xbox 360:

• Lost Odyssey (the best JRPG this gen, imo) 
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Blue Dragon
  • The Last Remnant     - 66 metacritic 
  • Magna Carta 2        -69 metacritic
  • Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope   - 72 metacritic
  • Spectral Force 3         -59 metacritic
  • Unfinite Undiscovery        -68 metacritic
  • Final Fantasy IX         - last gen game, totally playable on ps2/ps3
  • Phantasy Star Universe           -64 metacritic / also has a ps2 version

on PS3:

• Valkyria Chronicles
  • Disgaea 3
  • Demon's Souls                BTW, you forgot to add Folklore

on Wii:

• Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon       
  • Dragon Quest Swords
  • Tales of Symphonia: DotNW
  • Final Fantasy Cristal Chronicles

on PS360:

• Eternal Sonata
  • Enchanted Arms

So you played all of them?
Oh... I guess you're a '1-console-only' owner... if true, I'm sad for you.
And let me guess... you're stuck with the poorest of the 3 right now, the PS3.
Another teen thinking Sony would always be the king of RPG? I'm only guessing.

I'm tired of people crying "but... but... there is no JRPGs this gen"
Open your eyes
Go buy consoles.

And don't let brand-loyalty fool you.

So then, you are telling me to drop 200 dollars more on another console to play mediocre games? 

Also, you must not overlook the fact that compared to the last two gens, the current one is nothing short of PATHETIC in terms of 

JRPG's. That's why true fans of the genre complain of the lack of QUALITY games this gen, and we are completely right. Outside of some quality games like the Tales games, VC and LO, all other efforts have fallen short of delivering a quality product, on all fronts. 

Fortunately, that trend may have started to revert, starting with Demon's Souls, and continuing with WKC, FFXIII, FFXIV, etc. 

Sigh....Why do people keep fighting over 'What console has the best JRPGs'.  Its been shown time and time again that the entire Japanese market has jumped ship to handhelds.  And likewise, SO HAS THE JRPG MARKET!  There's more JRPGs coming out each year on the DS and PSP then there has been for ALL the consoles combined for ALL 4 years.  Stop trying to fight over Demon Souls vs Lost Odyssey.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

The worst thing this gen is that Computer games have invaded the consoles.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network

Stupid fanboyism all over the net: for me, that's easily the worst thing this gen...

Otherwise, general lazyness towards the market leader, ridiculous HD obsession, "mature" games bein' in fact more and more immature, failing business model due to the rise of the costs, elitist set of mind of too many reviewers, poor hardware manufacturing, too much attention to online play vs solid one player and local multiplayer gameplay, stupid price model when it comes to downloadable content, and even retail games... and a general lack of creativity with too many sequels, too many generic shooters and RPG's, and stereotyped graphics all over the place, whether "ultra-realistic" in the western games or "ultra-mangastic" in japanese games...

And i don't even mention scenarios, as they're usually even worse than in most Hollywood blockbusters... but as long as it pleases the "average american teenager", the main target here, i suppose that's fine for such a "creative" and "mature" industry...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

There are a lot of things mentioned here that was the case for previous generations.  The worst thing that has happened so far is hardware failure rates.   I am mainly talking about the XBOX 360, but I have seen it happen even with the DS.  Both myself and my best friend have had an original DS that has failed without inducing trama.

The worst thing is obviously Nintendo followed by Microsoft then Sony and finally companies like Valve and Blizzard. The worst thing about this gen is gaming, we should be doing something productive like watching TV like the execs want us to.

Tease.

nen-suer said:
Neoraf said:
nen-suer said:

oh, its you again

before you copy paste anymore lists, i mean lack of Good JRPGs on home consoles

this list is a joke compared to the DS+PSP (or the old ps2 days)

i know jrpg is not ur thing but come on

I can partially agree with you actually, and I also wonder why he got banned rofl. Anyways, Demon's Souls man, if you haven't played it and have a PS3 GET IT. I'll add you to friends and make another character so we could run through it and beef up for new game +.  Valkyria Chronicles is also another quality title. Despite mediocre reviews many seem to like Folklore alot. I know the Wii has a few good ones too. As for LO, that game was mediocre at best but the hardcore 360 fans tout it as the best thing ever and even go as far as to say that musically it's Nobuo Uematsu's great work.....rofl, that's his worst musical score since Rad Racer...but AAAAAANNYYYwayyys. Yes the PSP and DS got some great jrpg's as well. Don't shoot me but I still have to buy Crisis Core *ducks.

Back on actual topic, motion controls being touted as the "standard" whereas the applications of it have been REALLY weak. The only game I saw a superb usage was RE4 Wii version, still my favorite game on the Wii. Also tired of the oversaturation of fitness, casual and gimmick sports games, and yes, I am also looking at FPS's in that category. If I want to work out the simple way I'll continue doing calisthenics or hit the gym (only hit the gym 2 days a week, maybe 3 when not in lazymode). Despite the Wii having alot of these problems, I can also give them credit for being the "gateway drug" for several new gamers. I've known several this year alone that started with the Wii and are now moving on to PS3 and 360 so the Wii is doing something right.

I am also sick and tired of DLC and here's why. You guys remember Resident Evil 2 and 3: Nemesis? Remember mercenaries game, but also remember getting extra weapons, unlimited ammo with new weapons, unlocking other characters (tofu, the 3rd, 4th survivor and so on? Hunk?). Shit I look at the God of War collection and the added bonuses in that game are great. Trial of the Gods, Trial of the Titans, extra costumes that actually do something to your stats OMG!!! Look at InFamous, not the perfect game by any means but a very good game in its own right. Got a FREE DLC, those blades (yes they are useful, 1 hit kill on regular mobs, especially if maxed). That game has replayability, good and evil side, quite a few trophies, etc.

That's another thing that could improve, the trophy usage on the PS3 for example. If these greedy companies are going to release "incomplete" games and go as far as to announce DLC upon the game's release, why not do a compromise system? Say for example, if the game has 2 platinum trophies, if you can achieve 1, you get 50% off any DLC and if you get both you get 80% off the DLC's or something like that. It would give the trophy system worth outside of "ohhh look at my e-peen!". I heard ME on the 360 does something with achievements to unlock something but I am not sure, but the 360 achievement system can also adopt something like that. It would easily push alot of players to add value to the game by pursuing these trophies, especially if they are not trophy whores (I don't play for trophies).

Another thing I would love to see is how bad the hardcore fans got this gen. For example, InFamous came out as PS3 exclusive and then BAM Prototype came out as MULTIPLAT, so what happens? Yup, the diehard 360 owners started touting Prototype  as if it was their exclusive answer to InFamous and stating how it was better......umm I hate to say it but every reviewer out there pretty much blatantly disagrees with you. Now we are having the same with DI vs GOW3. PS3 owners aren't innocent, well more specifically PS2 owners by trying to describe KZ1 as the Halo killer which it wasn't. Every console has something to offer, so STFU and enjoy it, then when you had a nice long session of gears or halo come back to the forums refreshed with something like "damn man, I just threw a nade at this guy and forced him to fall off a cliff, it was funny." The forums could use a little comedy from time to time, that's why I learned to like Squilliam's comments and become less uptight when it came to gaming. Also learn to admire the masterpiece the other consoles have, who knows, when you borrow your friend's 360, PS3 or Wii you may find a gem here and there, Gears of War 1, ME1, Crackdown (I didn't like it but I know many that would so it gets credit), or Demon's Souls, MGS4, VC and KZ2 on the PS3, or even MadWorld, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, SMG or SSBB. It took me like 3 bans but I finally get it. Learn to be a true or casual gamer (depending on your tastes), otherwise end up banned more times than me, or better yet go to N4G where you get to hang out with the super hardcore "loyal" fans of their systems (I know, I was gonna use the other word lol).

I'll end this with...I don't like motion controls and I prefer to play my games the traditional way, but because there is a market out there for those, then so be it. I am just not happy with alot of the lower quality the Wii specifically has been coming out when they have shown sparks of genius gaming, so perhaps it has hurt them a little being first place this gen.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Squilliam said:
The worst thing is obviously Nintendo followed by Microsoft then Sony and finally companies like Valve and Blizzard. The worst thing about this gen is gaming, we should be doing something productive like watching TV like the execs want us to.

And once again a genius post by Squilliam lol.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.