By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata (not laughing): ' We failed with the Wii'

Food for thought....

What if the Wii was just as capable as the 360 or the PS3?

Does anyone out there believe that 360 or PS3 would still even be discussed in current or future tense?

If the Wii had come out with DVD or blu-ray, a hard drive, and the same processing or HD capabilities, 360 and PS3 would be dead on the side of the road today. Hard core gamers would buy the regular controllers and Call of Duty MW2 would be the system seller this year.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
yushire said:
Anyway I predict this I even make threads about it but comes from Iwata/Nintendo themselves seems it just shocks and depressed me. I still like the Wii and still enjoyed playing it. Seem mocking Nintendo and the Wii at this time was like having fun of someone that have a bad experience lately.

And because my prediction was true about the pricecut didnt help Ninty that much straight from the horse's mouth itself:

"With the price drop, sales returned to a certain level, but they just did not reach the level of last year around this time. We decided that it would be difficult to sell enough to recover from the poor performance of the first half of the year. "

I wont saying much or posts threads and topics about this. Its too sad to be true. I DONT WANT THE GAMING CRASH TO HAPPEN!

We have multiple things in place that weren't in place during the crash of the 1980s, but we are missing arcades this time.  Anyhow, here is what we have:

1. Videogame rental market.  This is akin to movie theaters, and provides a way for people to not get burnt by bad games.

2. Videogames as a part of the culture on part with books, movies and music.  Back then, they were a fridge bubble hobby that wasn't as entrenched.  Games are now becoming made into movies also.

3. Nintendo's business model of licensing games.  Really BAD BAD BAD games don't have a chance to flood the market.  Games may be old and derivative, and boring, but they aren't broken.  I am talking worse than NES Color Dreams level here.  There is some quality control.

4. We have Gamestops and other stores like them, dedicated to videogames only.  We didn't have this in the 1980s.  You start to worry if Gamestop ends up folding up.

5. We have a cable network dedicated to videogames.

We have gone through an economic meltdown and videogames still are relevant, and selling.  They are not fads, or believed they may be fads, they way they were in the 1980s.  Contraction and retrenchment may be possible, but not a crash. 

YEAH, but Iwata himself says about the company seem I became a big jerk acting the way I post especially with Nintendo. Since if not for Nintendo the core market could crash right now, not as video game crash of the 80's but video games could become the comic industry and anime industry right now...

And after the post I write lately and become true it just shocks me. its like a preacher telling theres end of the world soon and then suddenly it happened. Though I wonder what malstrom says about this?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Rainbird said:
Scoobes said:
Rainbird said:
Hmm... well, as long as they know what whent wrong, then there is something to work with. But I agree, the software has been lacking, though Nintendo is not the only ones to blame. A greater effort from 3rd parties could have made the problem smaller. The rest as they say, is history

I don't think Nintendo are completely blameless. By the sound of things they need to communicate better with 3rd parties to help them understand the Wii. It's been 3 yrs and 3rd parties are mostly failing to bring out anything inspiring to the console. Its like they need someone to give them a push in the right direction and say, "Hey, look, you can do this and you can be sucessful!". Nintendo can only do so much with 1st party material. Most people are confident that the next Zelda is going to be something special but they need games to fill in the gap and its not happening with only 1st-party games.

I do find it odd though that they say they've failed... high standards.

I agree, I was merely pointing out that it wasn't all Nintendo's fault. But as you said, then 3rd parties don't get the audience and are not trying what should be tried, then Nintendo should have stepped in to try make the 3rd parties understand better.

I disagree. Capcom has had success with the Resident Evil games on Nintendo systems. That company could have made another Resident Evil game. Instead of developing light gun games. They could also have released and updated Dino Crisis. There are a number of games they could have made to establish and nurture the core gamer like they are doing with the Xbox 360 and the PS3. But they did not.

EA could have made Dead Space Extraction a third person shooter instead of a light gun game but EA sees the Wii as a casual platform and nothing more. This is why the Wii has Madden All play and a Madden arcade game and a lackluster FiFa game, and their upcoming Need for Speed game is not a racing sim but an arcade game. The Wii also has Nascar Kart, My sims Kart, and instead of having a "The Sims game" the Wii gets my Sims. EA has done little to bring high profile titles to the Wii.

The IR pointer of the Wii makes it function like a mouse but there has been no RTS games from EA for the Wii. Instead they've focused on using dual analog controls of the HD consoles.

After the success of Red Steel, Ubisoft began to release broken and just plain bad games, like Driver: parallel lines and Far Cry Vengeance. Then they strated to release one Rayman Raving Rabbids game after another one. Oh lets not forget the Imagine series.

Nintendo does not have to help third parties to understand the Wii. They already do just look at the companies I mentioned above and you'll see that they have had success on the Wii when they have put in the effort to make good games and advertise them.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

Wii failed is a mistranslation.

So really, the whole thread is wrong.

Carl2291 said:

"Wii failed" was not the mistranslation, "We failed with Wii" was. Iwata was never quoted as saying "Wii failed". He was quoted as saying that Nintendo had failed to support the Wii properly. There is a difference.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:

"Wii failed" was not the mistranslation, "We failed with Wii" was. Iwata was never quoted as saying "Wii failed". He was quoted as saying that Nintendo had failed to support the Wii properly. There is a difference.

Oh no, i made a mistake!

I wont sleep tonight now.

Oh my.

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:

Oh no, i made a mistake!

I wont sleep tonight now.

Oh my.

It's not the mistake so much as the fact that it took this many replies to get you to see it.

I seriously can't wait for Malstrom's reply!

Nintendo's big failing was they didn't anticipate the failure of Wii Music, and since they had only gone with one big Wii franchise game a year to maintain momentum, they lost the momentum they had gained, if they had had something ready to go after the Wii Music debacle, they would have been fine, but they didn't, Wii Motion plus wasn't even out yet, and even now, they don't have anything which progresses Motion plus beyond Wii Sports resort, and the Vitality sensor is still a year off.

The Idea that the problem is they went super casual is wrong, in fact the problem is, they didn't have anything that would expand the market further or go deeper on the lines they had already created.

Wii 2/HD, doesn't solve the problem, so people saying that are wrong also, a new system, won't address the issue of maintaining momentum, only being able to keep software that either goes deeper down what they have already done, or continues to expand the market will do that. The fact is, they need to bring out games that further expand the Wii motion plus and the balance board, and they need to show software that shows off the ability of the Vitality sensor, just releasing a Wii HD won't do that, since the hardware is not the issue its the lack of software.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Alterego-X said:
I seriously can't wait for Malstrom's reply!

Actually Malstrom has been saying this for a while, lol, people thought he was being arrogant about it

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)