By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata (not laughing): ' We failed with the Wii'

So was all a misunderstand?I hoped for it, a president, especially the one of the winner company, has never to say that their product is a fail one.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:
Carl2291 said:
Wii failed?

I guess Wii 2 rumors aren't really all daft that all.

Will you read the rest of the topic

The original intent of the Wii was just that it would outsell the Gamecube. Nintendo failed to maintain the momentum from last year and will probably fail to met their previous projections.

What does that have to do with my post?

@ everyone else... He never said that they actually failed with Wii, it is a mistranslation and Ninty Everything haven't update there site yet. What he actually said was...

""Wii has stalled. We were unable to continually release strong software, and let the nice mood cool."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/29/iwata_says_wii_price_drop_effective/

"I originally mistranslated Iwata's statement as "We failed with the Wii.""

Well I hate to ring my own bell too often, but my posts on the first page pretty much called this.  Nice find Carl.

This kinda reminds me of my girlfriend when she complains about a B+ on a test.  You've got a string of A's sure... but I B on one project time in a class won't kill you.

its nice to see they actually admitted failing
If sony or microsoft fell apart like this theyd still call it a success.

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent

So the Wii was finally over. Even how much we debate about this Nintendo failed the Wii. Along with the gaming industry with it. And the pricecut really didnt help the Wii which leads to 11 page debate about it. WHAT NOW...?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

^Sorry Yushire, the Wii is far from over, what Nintendo is doing is admitting to their mistakes of the past year, and acknowledging that they need to rectify them. What they need to do is release software that regains and keeps the momentum, as for the price cut, well it helped, not as much as they would have liked, but to really get back on form, they need to have the software.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

ShadowSoldier said:
Khuutra said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Glad that they realized it. Maybe the old Nintendo from the SNES days is still alive. You know the one that didn't tolerate an abundance of shovelware on it's system

...That is not what's being talked about here.

My reading comprehension may be a little off but aren't we talking about how Nintendo just said that they didn't release strong software for a strong console?

Not true.  Let's not make this thread an excuse to start trolling.  I like that Iwata is humble and understands and admits that they dropped the ball with software releases this year. 

This is Iwata talking about Nintendo's software.  Not shovelware.  Don't make this into something it's not.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alterego-X said:
I seriously can't wait for Malstrom's reply!

Actually Malstrom has been saying this for a while, lol, people thought he was being arrogant about it

Yeah, that was my point, he even directly said something directly along the lines of "Nintendo failed the Wii". 

Seriously, I started to lose faith in the guy after all his UGC rants, and think that his Wii success prediction was just luck, but when after years of Wii praising, you suddenly start to predict Nintendo's doom, and a few weeks later Iwata fucking agrees with you, you are onto something.

Aye, its purely a first party issue that Iwata is referring to

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Alterego-X said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Alterego-X said:
I seriously can't wait for Malstrom's reply!

Actually Malstrom has been saying this for a while, lol, people thought he was being arrogant about it

Yeah, that was my point, he even directly said something directly along the lines of "Nintendo failed the Wii". 

Seriously, I started to lose faith in the guy after all his UGC rants, and think that his Wii success prediction was just luck, but when after years of Wii praising, you suddenly start to predict Nintendo's doom, and a few weeks later Iwata fucking agrees with you, you are onto something.

Heh, people need to get past his arrogance and look at what he's really saying, the guy knows his stuff