By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Japanese Language Thread

Done posting them. I left some of them out.

Around the Network
Akvod said:

Sorry, I should have just asked in English >.<

I meant syllabus as in what did you learn, and in what order. So which particles should I teach, in what order. Should I go to verb tenses? Etc.

In my third year class, we're kinda just learning some culture stuff, grammar (like common sayings and stuff), and vocab, so I don't really know how the basic basics were taught.

Ah, ok, no problem. Well, first I started only with wa/mo and desu for my first level (each level = 1 semester), plus I learned all hiragana/katakana. Then on level 2 we moved onto wo and started learning transitive verbes like taberu and nomu (but we were only taught the formal stem, so tabemasu), then the e particle and verbes like iku/kuru/kaeru, then to particles like de and ni and then only gradually the ga particle. To be honest, I still can't grasp the full functionality of the ga, I know to use it in particular verbs like iru, wakaru, dekiru and so, but I'm never sure of when to use a subject with wa and when to use it with ga.

zexen_lowe said:
Akvod said:

Sorry, I should have just asked in English >.<

I meant syllabus as in what did you learn, and in what order. So which particles should I teach, in what order. Should I go to verb tenses? Etc.

In my third year class, we're kinda just learning some culture stuff, grammar (like common sayings and stuff), and vocab, so I don't really know how the basic basics were taught.

To be honest, I still can't grasp the full functionality of the ga, I know to use it in particular verbs like iru, wakaru, dekiru and so, but I'm never sure of when to use a subject with wa and when to use it with ga.

http://naruhodojapan.blogspot.com/2007/05/ha-vs-ga-definitive-guide-part-1.html

Hmmm, I never realized that ga and ha was that hair pulling. I guess since it's internalized within me, I've never struggled or thought about it O.o

I'm going to read that, and then re-introduce ga in my next lesson and compare the two, posting the link to the article and crediting it and stuff.

Hmmmm, so I want to get the basic basic basic predicates down, now that I have basic sentence structure down.

I then want to go into verb tenses.

*reads some of Mirson's "syllabus"*

O.o

Damn, good thing it's every Thursday XD I'm gonna have a lot of time to think about this.

I think I'll start with "How to write in Japanese", and stick with that.

After that I'll start either a new series in parallel, or move my series into pronounciation/speaking.

... damn, too much shit to think about before going to bed XD

I'll be really grateful if you two can give inputs and sudgestions. And please tell me if you disagree with any parts of my lessons.

Tell me what you wanted to learn most in your Japanese classes, and wished you learned more about.

I kinda want to avoid the "common phrases" and stuff, because it seems like random and "floaty" stuff. I want to build a hard foundation first (sentence structure, predicate, verb tenses, etc... I don't even know formal English grammar that well XD), and then allow some "extra" stuff.

Like instead of teaching you guys "すいません” first, I'll want you guys to be able to say:

きょうかしょ を わすれました

So that you can "add" すいません for some native speaker points and combine it all to make it:

すいません、教科書を忘れました。

But if I taught auxillary stuff first, or in between, it just seems confusing IMHO.

Akvod said:

Like instead of teaching you guys "すいません” first, I'll want you guys to be able to say:

きょうかしょ を わすれました

So that you can "add" すいません for some native speaker points and combine it all to make it:

すいません、教科書を忘れました。

But if I taught auxillary stuff first, or in between, it just seems confusing IMHO.

Are you sure you don't mean すみません?

I'm sure they don't smoke

http://img88.imageshack.us/g/hni0017.jpg/

This is what we've done so far in my college course (it's only been about a month, but we have 14 hours a week and we're to do about double of that on our own after classes).
Each lesson also has between 30 and 50 new words.

We're using a different book for kanji though, started learning some at the end of the second week, so far I think we're at 35 kanji.

Around the Network

안영하세요 비지 찰트스 친구들.

일본어 왭니까? 한국어 촣아해요!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

韓国語をぜんぜんわかりません。

alekth said:
韓国語をぜんぜんわかりません。

私も

알아요, 하지만 나는 한굴 문신을 얻얼거여요.

I have no idea how much of this actually makes sense. I've got my Korean Dictionary, but my grammar kind of sucks.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

A friend and I are going to take Japanese 1 in college next semester...it'll be awesome