By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Japanese Language Thread

trashleg said:
my flatmate is japanese.. he offered to teach me and i would honestly love to learn, but i struggle to understand some of what he is saying because his accent is so strong.. any tips?

Can you be more specific? What kind of tips do you need? I can't really help with the accent XD

If you're taking Japanese, I can try to help... though I've never took Japanese 1 or 2. I was considered too proficient to start there (since I speak Japanese at home casually), so I was placed in 3. So I don't really know the formal grammar and stuff that they teach (hence why it was such a hastle to write that lesson >.<)

If any English speakers took Japanese, can you guys give me your syllabus or list of topics you guys covered in order? As long as I get those and do a bit of reading, I feel that with my Japanese and English background, I can kinda bridge the gap.

Around the Network

Was the lesson helpful or confusing? If it's confusing, then I'll just stop it O.o

Keep going. I found that sentence structure post very helpful.

I'm currently studying Japanese at home - my friend gave me a software, and it's pretty helpful. I found the pronunciation incredibly easy, maybe because it reminds me of Spanish. I can post the lesson list if you want.

I'd want to learn eastern asian languages if they weren't so fucking difficult!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Mirson said:
I can post the lesson list if you want.

Please do。

Around the Network

Konbanwa, watashi wa nihongo wo dandan hanasu koto ga dekiru. Sorekara, minna ni nihongo wo tetsudaitai.

今晩は私は日本語を段々話すことができる。
それからみんなに日本語を手伝いたい

Lesson 2: Pronunciation
Lesson 3: The Writing System (talks about the differences of Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana)
Lesson 4:Hiragana, Part 1 [covers A, I, U, E, O, Ka, Ki, Ku, Ke, Ko, Ga, Gi, Gu, Ge, Go, Sa, Shi, Su, Se, So, Za, Za, Ji, Zu, Ze, Zo, Ta, Chi, Tsu, Te, To, Da, Ji, Zu, De, Do, Na, Ni, Nu, Ne, No]
Lesson 5: Hiragana, Part 2 [covers Ha, Hi, Fu, He, Ho, Ba, Bi, Bu, Be, Bo, Pa, Pi, Pu, Pe, Po, Ma, Mi, Mu, Me, Mo, Ya, Yu, Yo, Ra, Ri, Ru, Re, Ro, Wa, (W)o, N, Sha, Shu, Sho, Ja, Ju, Jo, Cha, Chu, Cho]
Lesson 6: Greetings [how to say/write good morning and other similar stuff in Japanese]
Lesson 7: Sentence structure
Lesson 8: Vocabulary building lesson [learn how to say/write common things in Japanese]
Lesson 9: Numbers
Lesson 10: Times and Seasons [how to say/write the weekdays, months, seasons, etc.]
Lesson 11: More phrases [like Excuse me, I'm leaving, etc.]
Lesson 12: Questions
Lesson 14: Sentence Structures recap
Lesson 15: Katakana, part 1
Lesson 16: Katakana, part 2
Lesson 18: Possessives
Lesson 19: Sentence Structures - more verbs & subjects
Lesson 20: Directions
Lesson 21: Objects
Lesson 25: Post-positional phrases
Lesson 26: Sentence Structures recap
Lesson 27: Interrogatives
Lesson 28: Counting objects
Lesson 30: Adjectives
Lesson 31: More adjectives
Lesson 32: The Progressive tenses
Lesson 33: Body & clothing [learn how to say write body parts or clothing]
Lesson 37: Optatives
Lesson 38: Adverbs
Lesson 39: Weather

The rest are recaps, cultures and whatnot.

Mirson said:

Okay, give me a minute or 5. There are about 40 chapters, but a few of them cover Japanese culture and whatnot. Will edit it in this post.

TY =D

=> zexen_lowe

日本語は、大学で習ったんですか?syllabusをまだ持っていますか?もしsyllabusが詳しくなければ、先生が何を、どの順番で教えたか覚えていますか?

Akvod said:
Mirson said:

Okay, give me a minute or 5. There are about 40 chapters, but a few of them cover Japanese culture and whatnot. Will edit it in this post.

TY =D

=> zexen_lowe

Ok...let me go slowly

Yes, I study Japanese at university (technically, an institute owned by my uni, but it's the same). By syllabus you mean particles (wa, ga, e, wo, ni) or the syllabary (hiragana/katakana). I know the latter perfectly, the former, well, I should know it, but of course, always have one problem or two.

And then you ask me what order I remember how to teach? Couldn't get much of the last sentence, sorry

zexen_lowe said:
Akvod said:
Mirson said:

TY =D

=> zexen_lowe

Ok...let me go slowly

Yes, I study Japanese at university (technically, an institute owned by my uni, but it's the same). By syllabus you mean particles (wa, ga, e, wo, ni) or the syllabary (hiragana/katakana). I know the latter perfectly, the former, well, I should know it, but of course, always have one problem or two.

And then you ask me what order I remember how to teach? Couldn't get much of the last sentence, sorry

Sorry, I should have just asked in English >.<

I meant syllabus as in what did you learn, and in what order. So which particles should I teach, in what order. Should I go to verb tenses? Etc.

In my third year class, we're kinda just learning some culture stuff, grammar (like common sayings and stuff), and vocab, so I don't really know how the basic basics were taught.