By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft has the $$$, Why not buy EA and Sqaure ENIX and End the War

nofingershaha said:
BrayanA said:

Microsoft paid US$375 million for the company, a record for a video game developer. A big big mistake IMO. XBOX can't sell kiddish games. Rare need to learn how to make games like Halo, Fable or Gears if they want to sell on 360 or to focus on casual/Natal games.
Bioware was much better bite for MGS. Dragon Age and Mass Effect will sell millions on XBOX 360 and PC. Promoting Ray Muzyka as Creative Director of Microsoft Game Studios - Canada to keep him not to leave.

Rare is a filler company. Whenever MS is lacking in a game within a genre, that is where Rare comes in. During the 360 launch, MS needed a shooter to fill in Halo's gap so Rare made Perfect Dark Zero. Perfect Dark can't compare to Halo or Gears, but it was still a good shooter. As for platformers, Rare has released Kameo and Banjo.

Its understandable that people think Rare is not that great of a developer anymore when compared to the N64 days, but its only because N64 only had two good games that was not made by Rare, Mario 64 and Star Fox 64.

And Ocarina of Time and Pokemon Stadium and Majora's Mask...

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
arsenicazure said:
code.samurai said:
When you can answer the question below, then you've answered your question.

M$ has a lot of money, why weren't they able to afford Yahoo?

MS didnt buyout yahoo coz jerry yang(former yahoo CEO and founder) was being very very iffy about the share price MS was offering, not coz MS cudnt afford it. MS sweetened the deal but he still wasnt satisfied. And then the recession happend.

MS reportedly wanted to purchase SE at one point in history but that didnt go through.. MS really do need to build their first party line ups though. Nintendo sells primarily based on their first party strengths. SONY too has the edge there. MS need to start working on what they have.. I have no idea why we havent seen a civilisation or a flight sim on the 360, those are very popular franchises... really stupid MS.

If I recall correctly Jerry Yang asked for a higher price and Microsoft didn't cough up the money.  Now that definitely means to me that they could not afford Yahoo, don't you think?

If I were Microsoft I'd just buy a dozen promising startups instead of wasting money buying companies just for the name.  It's a high risk/low gain situation.

nofingershaha said:
BrayanA said:

Microsoft paid US$375 million for the company, a record for a video game developer. A big big mistake IMO. XBOX can't sell kiddish games. Rare need to learn how to make games like Halo, Fable or Gears if they want to sell on 360 or to focus on casual/Natal games.
Bioware was much better bite for MGS. Dragon Age and Mass Effect will sell millions on XBOX 360 and PC. Promoting Ray Muzyka as Creative Director of Microsoft Game Studios - Canada to keep him not to leave.

Rare is a filler company. Whenever MS is lacking in a game within a genre, that is where Rare comes in. During the 360 launch, MS needed a shooter to fill in Halo's gap so Rare made Perfect Dark Zero. Perfect Dark can't compare to Halo or Gears, but it was still a good shooter. As for platformers, Rare has released Kameo and Banjo.

Its understandable that people think Rare is not that great of a developer anymore when compared to the N64 days, but its only because N64 only had two good games that was not made by Rare, Mario 64 and Star Fox 64.

$375 for a filler company is a bit too high, don't you think?

code.samurai said:

The answer to this is, they have more than enough money to buy Yahoo. It just wasnt worth the price.

MonstaMack said:
@Kenryoku_Maxis

That's nice and all. But a lot of things change when money is thrown around. Plus when you own a company you get the rights to the name and It's entitties, and I don't see the entire company walking out just because MS owns them. Theres also this thing called the PC, which is owned by more people then the Wii and DS.

Nothing changed the many times Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo or Apple, no matter how much money was thrown around.  And I never said the entire company would walk out, just the creator of Dragon Quest might.  But as for your comment about PCs...PCs are not a popular medium in Japan.  The only games which people play PC games on in Japan are niche games like Touhou and hentai games.  If you think MS could just buy them and put something like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest on PC or XBOX....yeah, no.

Plus, MS already has pretty much abandoned their own PC development.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
RayRay102 said:

One thing I will never understand is why Microsoft, one of the richest and most profitable company in the world, was willing to let go and closed of studios (Bungie, Esemble, and letting Bioware go to EA), having an enemic first party and relies mostly on timed exclusives (cough..Ninja Gaiden...Star Ocean 4, Bioshock, Mass Effect ???), and recently letting Sony and Nintendo kicking them in the tooth in sale in both Japan and EU, isn't willing to use some of Bill Gate's pocket change laying around in his sofa somewhere and buy a large publisher like EA and/or Square ENIX?

Think about this for a second. Having rights to Madden, Fifa, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest certainly guarantee victory in this generation and future generations in all regions.

And to think Microsft was willing to hand over 40 billions to try to buy Yahoo a year ago. I just don't get it. Can somebody help me out here?

Because the xbox division is a small part of Microsoft, that even lost them billions of dollars. They would be much more rich without this division. The only reason why they keep it going is becaause they still hope that they might end up conquering the living room media hub once, that would be a great new source for profit. 

But they are definitely not that attached to game industry, that they would be prepared to desperately throw billions of dollars at it, hoping that it might work, risking that if Sony would also spend billions of dollars, the situation would be even worse. 

They are just testing the game industry as a possible way to expand in case it turns out to be profitable, but they aren't trying to take it over *at all costs*.

@Kenryoku_Maxis

Good points. I just agree to disagree. I think things can change. I married a woman who I met online so sometimes my beliefs can be far fetched lol.

It's just that simple.

selnor said:
code.samurai said:

The answer to this is, they have more than enough money to buy Yahoo. It just wasnt worth the price.

Yup you nailed it.