By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft has the $$$, Why not buy EA and Sqaure ENIX and End the War

this is like MS got so much money why not buy Sony and Nintendo and end the war?

Around the Network
Kantor said:

It may interest everyone to know that Sony's assets are worth triple what Microsoft's assets are worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft $78 billion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony $230.5 billion

Does this mean Sony can sell off a third of their assets and buy MS whilst MS don't have enough assets to buy Sony?

Even if Microsoft bought both companies (EA and SE) some how, PlayStation would still sell - just not as much, and Microsoft would be out a whole lot of money, sony would beef up their sports brand to compete with EAsports. Remember when you're buying a studio you're hoping to buy the talent too, i think everyone remembers what happened when MS bought out Rare prior to having a working relationship. All the talent left them, all that was left was an empty shell and some IPs. I do think they really messed up letting bioware get away from them.

I think it's been Microsoft's strategy to bribe companies for exclusive games instead of making the games themselves, which i don't believe is a great long term strategy, and often leaves games with timed exclusivity only - which probably makes fans bitter. If every company starts turning down MS paydays, MS would be in trouble - it's not exactly something they can control. Say if companies turned down all the offers, MS would have to offer more, and then if they get rejected they may have to offer even more, 3rd parties can get off pretty well this way. ME2 and Gears2 had to be very costly to Microsoft there's no doubt about it- in fact it's widely believed ME2 is a timed exclusive for this reason, and the fact its EA this time. Valve needs to get serious about ps3 development(if they haven't already) to get one of these lucrative deals, my guess is there was some kind of deal for l4d2, who knows if it's just timed like the rest of them.

They should buy KONAMI instead..or SEGA!! =)

justinian said:
Kantor said:

It may interest everyone to know that Sony's assets are worth triple what Microsoft's assets are worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft $78 billion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony $230.5 billion

Does this mean Sony can sell off a third of their assets and buy MS whilst MS don't have enough assets to buy Sony?

They dont have the assets no. There worth is in the product and high profit margins not solidified assets. And Sony are expected to be back into profitability next year so if MS throw money at stuff you'l be then likely to see Sony respond in kind.

Around the Network

Not even remotely,  1st the numbers aren't accurate as of each company's latest financials.  (Off Wikipedia for God's sake)

2nd, they do not take liabilities into account, which leaves out net tangible assets as well.  Having said that, it doesn't matter as assets are not a measuring stick for determining a company's worth.  Market cap paints a more accurate picture of a company.

MSFT:  $253B 

SNE:  $30B 

If they bought big companies like square and EA say good bye to all thoes fans that bought their games on Nintnedo's and Sony's platforms.

Kantor said:
silicon said:
They should buy all EB Games and Gamestop stores and only sell Microsoft products.

They should buy the US government and cover the Whitehouse with Xbox 360 posters. Then, use the military budget for TV advertising.

They did, but Dubya wasn't electable a third time. Next time they'll better buy Venezuela and Chavez, it would grant more continuity. 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Ronster316 said:
Microsoft have many PC/360 Exclusives locked down (its been well documented that converting a PC game to 360 is literally as easy as pressing a button)............. as well as 360 only exclusives, the PC/360 combo will ensure that Microsoft win the HD war this gen...........

Bank on it.

If there was an urgency to buy companies then they would, but 360 sales this gen have already eclipsed the oriogional xbox so they are defo a gaming force to be reckoned with.

Are you serious?  You can't be serious.

Is he serious?

RayRay102 said:

One thing I will never understand is why Microsoft, one of the richest and most profitable company in the world, was willing to let go and closed of studios (Bungie, Esemble, and letting Bioware go to EA), having an enemic first party and relies mostly on timed exclusives (cough..Ninja Gaiden...Star Ocean 4, Bioshock, Mass Effect ???), and recently letting Sony and Nintendo kicking them in the tooth in sale in both Japan and EU, isn't willing to use some of Bill Gate's pocket change laying around in his sofa somewhere and buy a large publisher like EA and/or Square ENIX?

Think about this for a second. Having rights to Madden, Fifa, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest certainly guarantee victory in this generation and future generations in all regions.

And to think Microsft was willing to hand over 40 billions to try to buy Yahoo a year ago. I just don't get it. Can somebody help me out here?

Because as soon as games like Madden or Fifa go exclusive Microsoft would loose the rights......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !