By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 hits 2 million!

How profitable was it after selling 2m? It was an expensive game to make, but I guess alot of that hard work goes towards the engine in general which will be used in K3, and maybe some other games too? (hopefully)

Around the Network

i would have been happier if it had hit 3 million by now.

hopefully with a platinum release it will sell more. im sure hoping for killzone 3

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

the only FPS that really deserves it this gen, so much polissssshhhheeedd

Theo said:
How profitable was it after selling 2m? It was an expensive game to make, but I guess alot of that hard work goes towards the engine in general which will be used in K3, and maybe some other games too? (hopefully)

I believe it costed 20-30 million dollars, so I think it's safe to assume that it was profitable.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
Theo said:

I believe it costed 20-30 million dollars, so I think it's safe to assume that it was profitable.

Ummm..there are those from the opposing camps that will tell you it costed twice that figure you mentioned.

Either way the engine is now in place so K3 will be far more profitable, it will also be on a far bigger userbase.

The sales fluctuate, the week of 10th Oct K2 did 25,000+, before that it was on and off and mostly down than up the VGcharts.

The slim has given it a new lease of life.

I am confident it will have steady legs due to it's reputation as the best looking shooter (best looking game before U2) on a console.

I hope it get to 3million without bundling.

Around the Network
justinian said:
huaxiong90 said:
Theo said:

Ummm..there are those from the opposing camps that will tell you it costed twice that figure you mentioned.

Either way the engine is now in place so K3 will be far more profitable, it will also be on a far bigger userbase.

The sales fluctuate, the week of 10th Oct K2 did 25,000+, before that it was on and off and mostly down than up the VGcharts.

I am confident it will have steady legs due to it's reputation as the best looking shooter (best looking game before U2) on a console.

And those people get their information based off a Sufer Girl rumor. We have GG saying their budget was 30 million dollars. I don't think they doubled that in less than a year. That'd basically require a full tear down of the game and a revamp.... think about it logically.... in order to double the budget... they would have had to spend just as much money in 1 year as they did in 2.5 years... They would have need to basically scratch the entire almost finished project... and make a new one in half the time...

seriously think about that... If they doubled the budget... the dev time would have been closer to 7 years.

This game's sales still confuse me. I cannot work out why the legs were so inexcusably terrible.

Even for a game releasing in February, during a period of awful PS3 sales, with bad word of mouth about controls, in a highly overcrowded genre............

I won't pretend I didn't overpredict it, but I can see now why I did.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Great game. But why the slow sales? Lack of public recogonition or something?

justinian said:
huaxiong90 said:
Theo said:

I think 60 million dollars is a little too high, but I'm guessing from 20 million to 40 million now. And yeah, KZ3 should be way more profitbale.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
justinian said:
huaxiong90 said:
Theo said:

I think 60 million dollars is a little too high, but I'm guessing from 20 million to 40 million now. And yeah, KZ3 should be way more profitbale.

They did have a huge team working on it for a good long time. I woulda thought it's cost including advertising might have been 60 - 80m