By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Vetteman94 said:
justinian said:
DirtyP2002 said:
player1 said:
what an irony. MS is going to pay Sony for using the blu ray format,lol.

The industry is full of irony.  I read that BluRay uses some kind of MS software or Toshiba (HD-DVD) helped building the PS3 or Sony using PGR to promote PS3. It is a strange industry.

And it is about time people notice that BluRay is not only a Sony product. Quite a few companies are involved.

I agree, although not sure about Toshiba - I'm not saying you are wrong.

Regardless, there is no denying who is the big cheese where BR is concerned.

Yep,  Panasonic

Damn right, my good man!! The Panasonic DMP-BD60 is on my list.

Around the Network
justinian said:
Vetteman94 said:
justinian said:
DirtyP2002 said:
player1 said:

The industry is full of irony.  I read that BluRay uses some kind of MS software or Toshiba (HD-DVD) helped building the PS3 or Sony using PGR to promote PS3. It is a strange industry.

And it is about time people notice that BluRay is not only a Sony product. Quite a few companies are involved.

I agree, although not sure about Toshiba - I'm not saying you are wrong.

Regardless, there is no denying who is the big cheese where BR is concerned.

Yep,  Panasonic

Damn right, my good man!! The Panasonic DMP-BD60 is on my list.

Yeah, its a common misconception that Sony has the biggest stake in Blu-ray.  Panasonic owns the most patents for Blu-ray, I think its something like 35% of the patents.   So that makes them the major stake holder.

justinian said:
Steroid said:
selnor said:
Steroid said:
Sony also had a big hand in CD's and DVD's (though their stake in Bluray is larger then it was for DVD). So we can get over the entire idea of MS being pwned if they decide to go blu. If anything they have done a good job on slowing down bluray adaption but slowly but surely the tide has turned in bluray's favor. I don't think a digital download only console is viable at this time and more likely then not, MS's next console will include a bluray drive.

DVD, Blu-ray Shrinking. Digital Distribution Rising

The bad news is that DVD sales are falling and Blu-ray sales, with only 4% of the market, aren’t taking up the slack. The good news is that digital distribution, with ten percent of the market share, is up 18% and rentals are up too.

Total disc sales, including standard DVDs and Blu-ray, plunged 13.9%, a slightly bigger drop than the 13.5% decline in the first six months of 2009. In an effort to downplay just how dismal revenue from DVD sales has become, DEG didn't disclose total revenue for the category.

Why would M$ worry about 4% of the market?

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/10/20/dvd_bluray_shrinking_digital_distribution_rising

Yeah I never heard of that site.

Why would MS care? Because not every single person that buys a console is going to have it hooked up to the internet that's why.

I don't understand. Someone, somewhere is lying. I thought blu-ray was doing great. Maybe I was wrong.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10288294-1.html

Noonesying. It's risen in the 2nd have of 2009 66%. To wait for it.... 4% marketshare. It rose at the start of the year 91%. This is software sakes not harware sales.

Bought me a HD DVD just after it was announced as dead. I got a £200 player for £30 which was a bargain and at the time the cheapest upscaler I could buy. Couple that with the rediculously cheap HD DVD's you could buy and I managed to get a nice collection for peanuts in no time at all.

Of course those days are gone and now I cannot find the bargains anymore and I never got to see all the Battlestar follow series in HD, but you know what I can live with that.

Blu Ray to my mind is only now becoming as affordable as the HD DVD format was just prior to its death. Ironically the Blu Ray format has already probably started to die in favour of another format.

So until I can only buy a Blu Ray in the shops to replace my current DVD player when it dies I doubt I will be joining the Blu Ray generation and suspect it will pass me buy.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
welshbloke said:
Bought me a HD DVD just after it was announced as dead. I got a £200 player for £30 which was a bargain and at the time the cheapest upscaler I could buy. Couple that with the rediculously cheap HD DVD's you could buy and I managed to get a nice collection for peanuts in no time at all.

Of course those days are gone and now I cannot find the bargains anymore and I never got to see all the Battlestar follow series in HD, but you know what I can live with that.

Blu Ray to my mind is only now becoming as affordable as the HD DVD format was just prior to its death. Ironically the Blu Ray format has already probably started to die in favour of another format.

So until I can only buy a Blu Ray in the shops to replace my current DVD player when it dies I doubt I will be joining the Blu Ray generation and suspect it will pass me buy.

i did the exact same thing. Except i have jumped on the Blu-Ray train and i must say i love it. Blu-Ray movies look great on a large HDTV. And thankfully due to a sale i got a really high end Blu-Ray player for $220 with wi-fi and everything.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network
player1 said:

lol, sony pays M$ for vista in vio computers...irony indeed

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Don't need Blu-Ray. I hardly watch most movies more then once.
1080p streaming FTW.

It's just that simple.

I think this would be a great move for the 360. MS has clearly repositioned the value offering of the 360 over the last year with Netflix, 1080 streaming, and social networking integration. Though they may feel like they are eating crow by adding Blu-ray, it would really just be one additional feature they could offer to sway a customer from a PS3 purchase.

Blu-ray has won the format war, and it would not be wise for MS to continue to ignore it.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

@player 1

and MS owns the codec in br movies, so MS gets money from each BR movie sold.

Phrancheyez said:
So...what the hell is blueray??

I'm quite amazed that half of these forums still can't spell Blu-Ray...maybe half the 'general public', but on a site like this it's quite pathetic.

Not reading and commenting is even more pathetic...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder