By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Blueray on 360?!?!

x360 doesn't need it.

Stand alone BR players are falling in price and the current MS pricing trend would probably mean it will cost 3x the price.

I really don't see this happening.

Around the Network
dougsdad0629 said:
damndl0ser said:
Fufinu said:
Last I heard wasn't blu-ray useless and/or over-rated?

Blu-Ray is nice, but I wouldn't say its as big of a step up from lets say vhs to dvd.

If you can get a really good player for around $100 bucks then its well worth it.  As long as they can get the price per movie down closer to what a regular dvd's price is.  Until that happens it will never have the mainstream acceptance as that of DVD.  Just my $.02...

Anybody who says this kind of thing has obviously not watched an excellent quality Blu-ray movie on a decent display with lossless surround.  Blu-ray has completely killed DVD for me.  I can't even look at most of my DVDs anymore.

I assure you my setup is more than capable, probably nicer than most here.  And while it is nice, it isn't a game changer.  Atleast not for me, but I am not an elitist audio/video freak.....

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

heruamon said:
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:
Major Nelson debunks the statements of Ballmer pretty quickly....YES!

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2009/10/22/we-have-no-plans-for-blu-ray-on-xbox-360.aspx

I want EVERY free 360 development dollar spent on new software to make Natal a greater success.

There would be no extra money spent on this,  Toshiba made the HD-DVD add on, they would likely make this.  They were actually reumored to be doing so a while back

And is the add-on going to magically integrate into XBL? 

Probably using the same magic the HD-DVD add on used to work?   Look it was just a rumor,  thats all.

Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2009/10/22/we-have-no-plans-for-blu-ray-on-xbox-360.aspx

I want EVERY free 360 development dollar spent on new software to make Natal a greater success.

There would be no extra money spent on this,  Toshiba made the HD-DVD add on, they would likely make this.  They were actually reumored to be doing so a while back

Probably using the same magic the HD-DVD add on used to work?   Look it was just a rumor,  thats all.

Do you have a HD-DVD player for your 360...because I do...so evidently, somebody did some work to get it integrated...yup...right there...HD-DVD...so that magic isn't free...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:

Do you have a HD-DVD player for your 360...because I do...so evidently, somebody did some work to get it integrated...yup...right there...HD-DVD...so that magic isn't free...

No, I dont buy things that have no future.   And of course someone did work to get it integrated, but I doubt we are talking an entire development team working months of reworking the entire Xbox 360 OS just to allow a Blu-ray add on. 

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:

No, I dont buy things that have no future.   And of course someone did work to get it integrated, but I doubt we are talking an entire development team working months of reworking the entire Xbox 360 OS just to allow a Blu-ray add on. 

Actually, it would be firmware. And the 360 dev team wouldn't have to do anything aside from work with the manufacturer of the BR drive to make sure the firmware had the correct "handshake" with the 360.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

ironman said:
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:
Vetteman94 said:
heruamon said:

Actually, it would be firmware. And the 360 dev team wouldn't have to do anything aside from work with the manufacturer of the BR drive to make sure the firmware had the correct "handshake" with the 360.

I know,  I wasnt the one making it out to be a huge problem implementing it if it did happen.  Plus Microsoft has a good relationshio with Toshiba, which would probably be the company that would have made it like they did the HD-DVD add on.

^ My point is that XBL is a closed system, unlike an OS for a computer, so the XBL would have to dedicate resources to integrating something that 360 owners aren't clamoring for. What we ARE clamoring for is more inclusive content to make the gold member fee more attractive, not something that I could get elsewhere, like brd...and for a cheaper price.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder