By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So... is NSMB Wii could actually sell to casuals?

People who buy solely CoD / GoW / RE / Pro Evolution / Dynasty Warriors -> "Hardcore"
People who buy solely Wii series / Carnival games / Kart games / Fitness games / Mario games -> "Casual"
People who stretch across lots of genres, pick up niche titles and have been gaming 10+ years -> "core"

Around the Network

so does that make everyone game that has an easy/beginner mode casual?

o_O DOES IT

no

ph4nt said:
Any game that sells over 3 million sells to "casual gamers"

You think those 12 million who bought Modern Warfare were all core gamers? think again! Same with Halo 3. The core market is extremely small compared to casual video game players, and it has ALWAYS been like that.

I agreed with you, if not, MP3 could be a multi million seller right now. But its only over 1 million.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

routsounmanman said:
People who buy solely CoD / GoW / RE / Pro Evolution / Dynasty Warriors -> "Hardcore"
People who buy solely Wii series / Carnival games / Kart games / Fitness games / Mario games -> "Casual"
People who stretch across lots of genres, pick up niche titles and have been gaming 10+ years -> "core"

Sorry, I don't like using "hardcore" but if you are going to use that label and those games you should throw in Madden, Halo, and Final Fantasy.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I see NSMB Wii more like a "Casual and Core Gamers", so, it could be for both of them.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Around the Network
yushire said:
nordlead said:
yushire said:
nordlead said:

Super Paper Mario was a 2D platfomer with some 3D parts. Why keep thinking that 1 bad game = never trying again. If Nintendo was that way they would have left the entire video game market years ago.

EDIT: Heck, they funded Wario Land: Shake it! which is a mario spin-off 2D hand drawn platformer.

Im talking about the main series. Anyway, Super Paper Mario was really just a fail experiment its really a RPG mixed with 2-d platformer elements for new audience to  dig in. And Wario land was a niche franchise its always was. Why not? It first came from a niche console the virtual boy

So, why would they fund a niche product if they aren't willing to fund a mainline product?

Also, Super Paper Mario was a 2D/3D platformer with tiny hints of RPG elements, not the other way around. And it wasn't a fail experiment, as it sold more than either of the previous games in the "Paper Mario" series and was a lot of fun to play unless you are an RPG fanatic and bought it because you thought it was an RPG.

I dont even knew PM if not for SPM. Which really disappoints me, the platforming was very simple you always used the menu all the time and it have loads of text. I bought it because I thought its a 2-d mario but Im disappointed it isnt. Atleast the puzzles were good. Thats the only reason why I want to finish it.

You don't game much if you didn't know about PM, it has been since the N64 and there were plenty ads for those games. You being disappointed with super paper mario because it isn't a "2d mario" is almost as lame as people being disappointed with halo wars not being a FPS. You talk like if you considered yourself a "core" gamer but you look a lot like a "casual".

And there are games that appeal to everyone, from casual to hardcore gamers, and NSMB Wii is one of them. I don't see why is so difficult to understand.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Most casual games have similar basic features:

* Extremely simple gameplay, like a puzzle game that can be played entirely using a one-button mouse or cellphone keypad
* Allowing gameplay in short bursts, during work breaks or, in the case of portable and cell phone games, on public transportation
* The ability to quickly reach a final stage, or continuous play with no need to save the game
* 2D, abstract graphics
* Some variant on a "try before you buy" business model or an advertising-based model

The word "casual" indicates that the games are produced for the casual consumer, who comes across the game and can get into gameplay almost immediately. A lot of consumers play casual games online, many of whom do not normally regard themselves as gamers, or fans of video games.

I hate this word so much. Let's just play some games.

I don't see why not....unless there are 20 million core/hardcore games on the DS. Also the OP is stating as fact that this game is created for the purely for the "casual"audience not the everyone audience as Nintendo has repeatedly stated.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
off course. It's a bridge title.

This

Yoshi-1up said:

o_O

People buy games to have fun. The majority of the people play both "Hardcore" AND "Casual" games, as you call it. I think everyone will play it. Tired of hearing those 2 words. But we never hear anything about a "True" Gamer.

And no, I don't think my mom or grandparents will play this game. Since I think that's what you mean by casual.

Most "casual" gamers dont have good reflexes so they shouldn't be playing platforming games like this. If they put it on Auto-Pilot, I think they would play games like bejewled or something or Halo 3 on super easy(just shoot stuff. PUSH RT and you win) or Guitar Hero on beginner mode(press w/e). But I think it's a good idea for people who never played a platforming game more into it to show how to play.

Yeah, some people act like the games have a tag and you have to show a core or casul ID before buying games.

Anyway, I don't agree with you about this not beign a game for "casuals". I mean, if you put casual as your grandmother, then yeah, this might not be the game. But if you're talking simply about people who play videogames less then, say, 10 hours a week, or doesn't play alone, or used to play in the nes days or so and had got out of it, people who are now in their mid 40s or 50s but had contact with videogame, and women (ha, if this was any other topic I could never get away saying that :P) then this game is as much of a bridge game as it gets.

Also, non-gamers have a ridiculously hard timing trying to coordinate themselves on 3D words, even in simply and intuitive system like what you find in B&W on the computer, let alone using thubstics. "easy" FPSs? Never. No matter how easy. They may not die, but they won't move properly wither, it just won't make sense, while Mario you have a D-Pad and 2 buttons and just two directions.

Bejewled and Guitar Hero on the other hand are better examples, they're kind of like Wii Sports or Wii Fit in this sense, but still, as far as "gamier" games go, nothing beats 2D Marios as bridges.