By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So... is NSMB Wii could actually sell to casuals?

yushire said:

the thing that really bugs me about third parties. they could just make 2-d platformers on the Wii if they want to and yet they dont make it. They making the Wii something that isnt. Instead theyre making games on the system that either will not sell or shovelware minigames like The conduit, Muramasa, Dead Space extraction, or games with Z on it another mario kart clone or another Wii sports game

I don't think most third parties even know how to make a halfway decent 2D platformer.

Btw, sory for double-post, but how do I make two quatations on the same post?

Around the Network
Falcon095 said:
yushire said:
nordlead said:
yushire said:
nordlead said:

Super Paper Mario was a 2D platfomer with some 3D parts. Why keep thinking that 1 bad game = never trying again. If Nintendo was that way they would have left the entire video game market years ago.

EDIT: Heck, they funded Wario Land: Shake it! which is a mario spin-off 2D hand drawn platformer.

Im talking about the main series. Anyway, Super Paper Mario was really just a fail experiment its really a RPG mixed with 2-d platformer elements for new audience to  dig in. And Wario land was a niche franchise its always was. Why not? It first came from a niche console the virtual boy

So, why would they fund a niche product if they aren't willing to fund a mainline product?

Also, Super Paper Mario was a 2D/3D platformer with tiny hints of RPG elements, not the other way around. And it wasn't a fail experiment, as it sold more than either of the previous games in the "Paper Mario" series and was a lot of fun to play unless you are an RPG fanatic and bought it because you thought it was an RPG.

I dont even knew PM if not for SPM. Which really disappoints me, the platforming was very simple you always used the menu all the time and it have loads of text. I bought it because I thought its a 2-d mario but Im disappointed it isnt. Atleast the puzzles were good. Thats the only reason why I want to finish it.

You don't game much if you didn't know about PM, it has been since the N64 and there were plenty ads for those games. You being disappointed with super paper mario because it isn't a "2d mario" is almost as lame as people being disappointed with halo wars not being a FPS. You talk like if you considered yourself a "core" gamer but you look a lot like a "casual".

And there are games that appeal to everyone, from casual to hardcore gamers, and NSMB Wii is one of them. I don't see why is so difficult to understand.

Simply because I dont know every games in existence doesnt mean that Im not a core gamer. I played most of the popular PSX and PS2 days so far and also I played some of the NEs games including some of the core games.

And yeah, it definitely disappoints, just try to play SPM on a retro gamer or even a gamer and see what they reacts in the game. They will bored out in 10 minute cutscene alone. I mean why NSMB Wii only have a 50 second cutscene anyway? Atleast in PM you know what you expect since its a RPG through and through...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
Falcon095 said:

You don't game much if you didn't know about PM, it has been since the N64 and there were plenty ads for those games. You being disappointed with super paper mario because it isn't a "2d mario" is almost as lame as people being disappointed with halo wars not being a FPS. You talk like if you considered yourself a "core" gamer but you look a lot like a "casual".

And there are games that appeal to everyone, from casual to hardcore gamers, and NSMB Wii is one of them. I don't see why is so difficult to understand.

Simply because I dont know every games in existence doesnt mean that Im not a core gamer. I played most of the popular PSX and PS2 days so far and also I played some of the NEs games including some of the core games.

And yeah, it definitely disappoints, just try to play SPM on a retro gamer or even a gamer and see what they reacts in the game. They will bored out in 10 minute cutscene alone. I mean why NSMB Wii only have a 50 second cutscene anyway? Atleast in PM you know what you expect since its a RPG through and through...

So, you who went into the game not understanding enough about it and getting bored makes you a "core" gamer, but me knowing exactly what I'm buying and loving it makes me "casual" or "not retro gamer", or "not even a gamer"

You make no sense.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

SPM was advertised as a 2-d platformer game, not bunch of texts menu type with 2-d platforming heck, theres even a levelling up system RPG game. What there not to understand? Or you dont want to understand because what im saying was true? I've seen the past PM games on youtube and its RPG. So its obvious what the nest PM was. the newcomers dont though, thats why it didnt sell as expected.

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

PF yushire I don't doubt about this game. They said it's one of the hardest Mario game and the Super Guide is introduced for dummies. So stop being afraid and this will sell like 20 millions just as the DS version but way better...

Around the Network
yushire said:
nordlead said:
yushire said:
Yoshi-1up said:
How bout who gives a crap?

People buy games to have fun. The majority of the people play both "Hardcore" AND "Casual" games, as you call it. I think everyone will play it. Tired of hearing those 2 words. But we never hear anything about a "True" Gamer. And no, I don't think my mom will play this game. Since I think that's what you mean by casual.

Im discussing the future of 2-d marios here, if this game's sales isnt what Nintendo expected then we never seen a 2-d mario game in home consoles again

Super Paper Mario was a 2D platfomer with some 3D parts. Why keep thinking that 1 bad game = never trying again. If Nintendo was that way they would have left the entire video game market years ago.

EDIT: Heck, they funded Wario Land: Shake it! which is a mario spin-off 2D hand drawn platformer.

Im talking about the main series. Anyway, Super Paper Mario was really just a fail experiment its really a RPG mixed with 2-d platformer elements for new audience to  dig in. And Wario land was a niche franchise its always was. Why not? It first came from a niche console the virtual boy

Wario Land was from the Game Boy first.  Opposite of a niche console.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
yushire said:
nordlead said:
yushire said:
Yoshi-1up said:

People buy games to have fun. The majority of the people play both "Hardcore" AND "Casual" games, as you call it. I think everyone will play it. Tired of hearing those 2 words. But we never hear anything about a "True" Gamer. And no, I don't think my mom will play this game. Since I think that's what you mean by casual.

Im discussing the future of 2-d marios here, if this game's sales isnt what Nintendo expected then we never seen a 2-d mario game in home consoles again

So AVGN was wrong then, he says the first Wario land was from VB. it even have the famous mining stage BTW Im not saying this on my own opinion unless james Rolfe was wrong...

E3 2010- Tape runs out

yushire said:
Falcon095 said:
yushire said:
nordlead said:
yushire said:
nordlead said:

So, why would they fund a niche product if they aren't willing to fund a mainline product?

Also, Super Paper Mario was a 2D/3D platformer with tiny hints of RPG elements, not the other way around. And it wasn't a fail experiment, as it sold more than either of the previous games in the "Paper Mario" series and was a lot of fun to play unless you are an RPG fanatic and bought it because you thought it was an RPG.

I dont even knew PM if not for SPM. Which really disappoints me, the platforming was very simple you always used the menu all the time and it have loads of text. I bought it because I thought its a 2-d mario but Im disappointed it isnt. Atleast the puzzles were good. Thats the only reason why I want to finish it.

nah...10 min. cutscene is nothing compared to say....Metal Gear Solid.  Also, retro RPG gamers can be very patient.  Do you realize how much time it takes to grind levels in those games?

@giuduc------> Yeah it can sell to casuals even without minigames. RIGHT. I still dont know what Nintendo were thinking making the game. Playing the main game even how good it is was becoming boring afterwards. Thats why minigames were created. I mean why Nintendo created minigames on NSMB DS? Just for the LULZ?

E3 2010- Tape runs out

yushire said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
yushire said:
nordlead said:
yushire said:
Yoshi-1up said:

So AVGN was wrong then, he says the first Wario land was from VB. it even have the famous mining stage BTW Im not saying this on my own opinion unless james Rolfe was wrong...

Yeah he was wrong.

I have all 4 of these babies!

The Virtual Boy Wario Land game came out between 1 and 2, and was quickly forgotten.  I'll get it eventually I'm sure.