By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hmm PS3 has sold 4 million more then 360 had last year.

Knock on wood about the 360 getting smaller. It would be pretty cool but that hdd case is an interesting problem for the engineers.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Around the Network
Heavenly Sigma said:
Knock on wood about the 360 getting smaller. It would be pretty cool but that hdd case is an interesting problem for the engineers.

Interesting observation, perhaps they could cube the 360 instead of slimming it?

I dont think MS cares about something like this. They would just sell new HDs and the old ones are Incompatible.

If they really want to improve the Power of the XBOX360 together with natal that would mean the Games which make use of the Power cant be played on the Standard XBOX they certainly give a shit about their customers.

Its still a rumor but some of the MS Statements indicate something like this.

Netyaroze said:
I dont think MS cares about something like this. They would just sell new HDs and the old ones are Incompatible.

If they really want to improve the Power of the XBOX360 together with natal that would mean the Games which make use of the Power cant be played on the Standard XBOX they certainly give a shit about their customers.

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. oO Shrinking the processors and motherboard wouldn't mean less performance. It would only bring improvements to the users like smaller console, less production cost, less power cosumpion and less heat generation(less noise from the cooling fans).

My puzzlement is why MS hasn't beaten Sony to it, as it's a natural step in making the console cost efficient and expanding its market.

Either there's technical issues or they're keeping it as a secret for now(why? I do not know).

OctaBech said:
Netyaroze said:

Sorry but that doesn't make sense. oO Shrinking the processors and motherboard wouldn't mean less performance. It would only bring improvements to the users like smaller console, less production cost, less power cosumpion and less heat generation(less noise from the cooling fans).

My puzzlement is why MS hasn't beaten Sony to it, as it's a natural step in making the console cost efficient and expanding its market.

Either there's technical issues or they're keeping it as a secret for now(why? I do not know).

I think you misunderstood what the guy said... He said improve the power, not power efficiency. 

Also how is it a natural step? It's more like a Sony strategy than a natural step. I don't think Nintendo or MS has ever redesigned one of their home consoles. And I think the Sega Genesis might have been redesigned but other than that I don't think any home console besides the Playstation brand has been redesigned. 

I don't think MS thought of redesigning their console as a strategy and thus probably wont do it this generation. They may prepare for it next generation though. 

Around the Network

Please give it a rest.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

As RVDondaPC said I was talking about the Power of the Console the Graphic Power.

RVDondaPC said:
OctaBech said:
Netyaroze said:

I think you misunderstood what the guy said... He said improve the power, not power efficiency. 

Also how is it a natural step? It's more like a Sony strategy than a natural step. I don't think Nintendo or MS has ever redesigned one of their home consoles. And I think the Sega Genesis might have been redesigned but other than that I don't think any home console besides the Playstation brand has been redesigned. 

I don't think MS thought of redesigning their console as a strategy and thus probably wont do it this generation. They may prepare for it next generation though. 

I'm not talking solemnly about aesthetics here, but about revision of the internal hardware which I'm sure MS has done(ie. the Xenon die was shrunk to 65nm), just not at a comparable rate to the PS3. Nintendo has most likely been shrinking the processors too(especially for handholds) because it increases the profits, but it isn't visible for the end user, because other hardware parts like DS screens plus controls and Wii DVD drive already from the beginning set the dimensions for the hardware(For obvious reasons can't be shrunk beyond mechanical parts and the size of the DVD).

I still do not get the power part, what kind of power are we talking about(consumption/processing/horse/..), where does it come from, what is it used for, how can the power be improved without releasing a new SKU and how would making the hardware cost efficient(what I were initially debating) get in the way?

Netyaroze said:
As RVDondaPC said I was talking about the Power of the Console the Graphic Power.

Huh? But that makes no sense at all.

The slim PS3 is just a capable at handling graphics as the older PS3s(actually more, because it can be clocked higher without overheating) and you can't increase the power of existing(as in released) consoles, meaning there would be a gap between the consoles.

Please don't take this a mocking, but it would seem this topic is out of your area of expertise and that we shouldn't waste time on debating it further.

OctaBech said:
Netyaroze said:

The slim PS3 is just a capable at handling graphics as the older PS3s(actually more, because it can be clocked higher without overheating) and you can't increase the power of existing(as in released) consoles, meaning there would be a gap between the consoles.

Please don't take this a mocking, but it would seem this topic is out of your area of expertise and that we shouldn't waste time on debating it further.

And maybe reading comprehension is out of your league. He was clearly talking about something else, mistakingly or not. I understood it why couldn't you have? Don't insult his intelligence because you misunderstood what he was clearly stating. 

RVDondaPC said:
OctaBech said:
Netyaroze said:

And maybe reading comprehension is out of your league. He was clearly talking about something else, mistakingly or not. I understood it why couldn't you have? Don't insult his intelligence because you misunderstood what he was clearly stating. 

Hey now you are insulting my intelligence, so get down from that high horse.

My mistake clearly wasn't due to lack of readingcomprehension but due to politenes, which made me assume his statement was more grounded in reality/knowledge and in context to what was being debated.

And as I said, it's not my intention to mock, but one shouldn't try to debate processing power without background knowledge, the topic is just too complex for that(like I shouldn't be debating Japanese semantics after having watched a few dubbes animes).