By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 1080p Streaming Quality Is Incredible, Hands-On, With Video

damndl0ser said:
1080p is a standard amount of lines verticle and horizontal. If it says its 1080p then its 1080p unless you think Microsoft is lying about it. Otherwise they couldn't legally say that and not have someone sew them. If you use a satelite dish or even blu-ray player they are compressed/decompressed in order to get you the picture quality you need for full 1080p.

Yes I have a full 1080p tv setup 57 inch 1080p JVC. I know the difference... I sold my ps3 a ehile back so I can't make a direct comparison though.

Even a DVD can be "upscaled" to a "1080p". Doesn't mean it's gonna be native 1080p. Question: will these video downloads come close to bluray quality? Answer: Not a chance. 

Around the Network

1080p is 1080 horizontal lines and 1920 vertical lines progressively scanned. This is what the streaming is doing when your connection is capable. Will it be as perfect as a Bluray, nope but it should under ideal circumstances be nearly indistinguishable to anyone but a serious AV enthusiast.

Steroid said:
damndl0ser said:
1080p is a standard amount of lines verticle and horizontal. If it says its 1080p then its 1080p unless you think Microsoft is lying about it. Otherwise they couldn't legally say that and not have someone sew them. If you use a satelite dish or even blu-ray player they are compressed/decompressed in order to get you the picture quality you need for full 1080p.

Yes I have a full 1080p tv setup 57 inch 1080p JVC. I know the difference... I sold my ps3 a ehile back so I can't make a direct comparison though.

Even a DVD can be "upscaled" to a "1080p". Doesn't mean it's gonna be native 1080p. Question: will these video downloads come close to bluray quality? Answer: Not a chance. 

If your connection says it allows for 1080p through the service, it will not need to be upscaled.  Meaning it is a native 1080p source.

JaggedSac said:
Steroid said:
damndl0ser said:

If your connection says it allows for 1080p through the service, it will not need to be upscaled.  Meaning it is a native 1080p source.

You cannot tell anyone anything here if they have their minds made up.  **M$** did it so its shit, costs too much, has faulty components or they lie about the streaming in 1080p  (its really 720p) sigh....

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Awww it's so cute when the XBox guys see 1080p stuff for the first time!

Around the Network
DrDread said:
Awww it's so cute when the XBox guys see 1080p stuff for the first time!

It's been available for ages, just not instantly streamed.

JaggedSac said:
Steroid said:
damndl0ser said:

Ok but compared to a bluray it will be heavily compressed and lower quality. So whatever, if if floats your boat enjoy it. For me it's a terrible option to first: buy a propritary 60 gig HDD for $100, then pay $50 per year for XBL then another $6 per movie when netfix ships me higher quality blurays anyway.

Steroid said:
JaggedSac said:

Ok but compared to a bluray it will be heavily compressed and lower quality. So whatever, if if floats your boat enjoy it. For me it's a terrible option to first: buy a propritary 60 gig HDD for $100, then pay $50 per year for XBL then another $6 per movie when netfix ships me higher quality blurays anyway.

Why would you need to purchase a hard drive?  This is streaming.

Since we are talking about movies, what does being a Gold member matter?  I will go ahead and answer, it doesn't.

I also have a Netflix subscription and get blu rays.  What does that have to do with anything?  We pay money for Netflix too BTW.

i havent made up my mind on it and dont want to belittle the service, as i'm interested in it myself. I just bought a 50" Panasonic Full HD TV and ordered a xbox 360 aswell.

But i just watched 108ßp movies for the first time and saw lot of differences in the video quality as they often differ in video bitrate numbers and therefore also have better or worse picture quality even when they are all in 1080p.

So i was wondering how they can achieve a great video quality with only 4mbps stream compared to Blueray where the bitrate is around 30mbps.

Improvements are caused by people who complain

JaggedSac said:
Steroid said:
JaggedSac said:

Why would you need to purchase a hard drive?  This is streaming.

Since we are talking about movies, what does being a Gold member matter?  I will go ahead and answer, it doesn't.

I also have a Netflix subscription and get blu rays.  What does that have to do with anything?  We pay money for Netflix too BTW.

Not to mention this service will only continue to get better and better.  The compression techniques will at some point = that of Blu-Ray or exceed it, so cheers to M$ for doing their damndest to see it through.  

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!