By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 1080p Streaming Quality Is Incredible, Hands-On, With Video

sully1311 said:
tried that tester, it always drops quality to 2750kbps, even though ive gt a cable 20Meg connection

You must have a shitty connection then.  I have 6mb dsl and it seems to work fine for me.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Around the Network
damndl0ser said:
sully1311 said:
tried that tester, it always drops quality to 2750kbps, even though ive gt a cable 20Meg connection

You must have a shitty connection then.  I have 6mb dsl and it seems to work fine for me.

well it works brill for everything else

HA HA. I'm sure it does.

I had a 15 mb cable connection and I thought it was awesome until I downgraded to the DSL one. I was always having ping problems in games etc... Now with less bandwidth I have a better ping and fewer slowdowns in things like netflix and online downloads. More is not always better esp... when your sharing your cable connection with everyone in the neighborhood.

damndl0ser said:
**Slash** said:
Does this HD service need 4mbit of ur bandwith or do u need 4mbyte/s ?

coz a standard 1080p movie HD Rip has a video bitrate of around 10-18 mbit/s alone, not talking about sound.
An untouched blu ray 1080p movie has a video bitrate of around 20-30 mbit/s which goes in action scenes up to 50mbit/s.
A standard 720p HD Rip has a video bitrate of around 4-7 mbit/s.

So if this zune hd service only requires 4mbit of ur bandwith, then the picture quality is nowhere near as good as a true Bluray movie in 1080p.

They compress it, thats how they can get away with the low bandwidth.  1080p is a standard so it doesn't matter if its on blu-ray, streaming, or hddvd.

sorry but 1080p isn't a standard in the sense that the quality is always the same. Even with different Blu Rays u get different video/picture qualities.

So if they compress the data and transfer it  und have to uncompress 4mbps for video + sound again, there is most probably a quality loss compared to +30 mbps

Do u have a Bluray Player with movies at home so that u can compare the quality perhaps? And i assume that u own a Full HD Tv and not just a HD ready TV?

Improvements are caused by people who complain

damndl0ser said:
HA HA. I'm sure it does.

I had a 15 mb cable connection and I thought it was awesome until I downgraded to the DSL one. I was always having ping problems in games etc... Now with less bandwidth I have a better ping and fewer slowdowns in things like netflix and online downloads. More is not always better esp... when your sharing your cable connection with everyone in the neighborhood.

surely thats a good enough connection

Around the Network
**Slash** said:
damndl0ser said:
**Slash** said:
Does this HD service need 4mbit of ur bandwith or do u need 4mbyte/s ?

coz a standard 1080p movie HD Rip has a video bitrate of around 10-18 mbit/s alone, not talking about sound.
An untouched blu ray 1080p movie has a video bitrate of around 20-30 mbit/s which goes in action scenes up to 50mbit/s.
A standard 720p HD Rip has a video bitrate of around 4-7 mbit/s.

So if this zune hd service only requires 4mbit of ur bandwith, then the picture quality is nowhere near as good as a true Bluray movie in 1080p.

They compress it, thats how they can get away with the low bandwidth.  1080p is a standard so it doesn't matter if its on blu-ray, streaming, or hddvd.

sorry but 1080p isn't a standard in the sense that the quality is always the same. Even with different Blu Rays u get different video/picture qualities.

That absolutly right !

I went to my favorite Audio/Video shop this afternoon and had a demo of a (850€) Marantz BD7004 BD player... wow... the image is hugely more fluid and pointy than on my (235 €) Sony S360.

You get what you pay for I guess....

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

it's alright to me, it might seem like 1080p but it's not really doing true 1080p hd because of decommpression. but it still aint got nothing on blu-ray, i got both systems and blu-ray kills it when it comes to picture,sound and color.

Anything that uses a codec is doing compression and decompression (compressor/decompressor).  Now, what some of you may be referring to is lossless compression though.  Lets get terms straight at least though.

1080p is a standard amount of lines verticle and horizontal. If it says its 1080p then its 1080p unless you think Microsoft is lying about it. Otherwise they couldn't legally say that and not have someone sew them. If you use a satelite dish or even blu-ray player they are compressed/decompressed in order to get you the picture quality you need for full 1080p.

Yes I have a full 1080p tv setup 57 inch 1080p JVC. I know the difference... I sold my ps3 a ehile back so I can't make a direct comparison though.

Last.fm, and 1080p streaming are what i'm looking forward to the most with this update, the stream is perfect, i can't wait to get my hands on it...argh!

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar