By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The minimal PS3/360 gap will be 3.5M and maximal 5.5M by the end of 2009

360 doing well lately. Proves that 360 has still got it in America.

5.5 is going to be a tough call. 3.5 is going to be near impossible.

I pin it at around 6 mill. Even then it has to erase 690k to get to that figure.

Around the Network

Christmas will tell all. PS3 will either demolish 360 or they will stay neck-at-neck.

We just need to see the difference next week to know if the last two weeks are the exception to what will happen in the Holidays or will they define the trend.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Hardware Sales, 22nd Nov 2009

PS3 faltering n MS promotion giving some good results..

Around the Network
Noobie said:
PS3 faltering n MS promotion giving some good results..

So PS3 is faltering now, thats been the best lol of my day. 

@Hus, maybe, but dont u think that $99 arcade is doing something too?

slowmo said:

I'll assume your ridiculous optimism for Bluray was just a joke, I already know the character of poster I'm dealing with when they automatically assume it will take over DVD.  I'm sorry but you're only fooling yourself if you think Bluray as a clear march from here on in.

I never mentioned reliability at all in reference to cheap parts, you seemed to assume that was my point for some mad reason.  I'll accept your apology whenever you're ready on that point.  My argument was they cannot reduce the cost further on many of the internal components anymore, there are no big savings left.

The last time Sony cut the price by $100 they couldn't afford to cut again for 18 months, is it really so hard to believe that will not be the case again?

The supposed price cut you mention was in actual fact a SKU adjustment more than anything else, very similar to the PS3 60GB to 40GB switch, but if you insist on this then we can accept the PS3 has had 3 price cuts already I guess then. 

I didn't watch a video of the slim being stripped, I did it myself (on 5 of them if you must know) and I don't see how any rational being could argue he could tell from a video how flimsy the parts felt in comparison to the fat models.  Sorry but you're in seriously deluded territory on this front.

Microsoft have stated there were not 1 million 360's banned, posting rumour as fact again I see.

The simple reason the 360 sales accelerate when the arcade model is reduced is it increases the cost differential between the cheapest models, if you cant understand this concept then I'm talking to a brick wall.

Last but not least how about a wager, I'll bet you $1000 the PS3 gets beaten in overall sale from September 2010 to the last week of December 2010.  I don't know why I bother offering you the bet though as you'll leave the site when the PS3 sales fall behind the 360, posters like you always do.

You're ignoring the reality of what is happening in the format world. With every passing day, the DVD format becomes less and less enticing as people are beginning to think of it as outdated technology. Guess you're the kind who has to see something to believe it.

You'd be mad to think that Sony's never going to cut the price of the PS3 again. Why would you even want to use that as an argument? Sure, you might think the PS3's compenents look cheap, but the point of the slim was to cut production costs and that's what Sony's done. And you do realise that Sony can lower the production costs even further without changing any of it components, right? Those "cheap" parts will become even cheaper to produce over time, allowing room for a price cut. It's quite simple really.

Well good for you for taking a slim apart. You must be very proud of your accomplishment.

And the fact that a million (or close to) 360's have been banned from Live is no rumour. Take a look for yourself (this site really needs to add Firefox support): http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304244,00.htm

You might as well look up so more info regarding the 360 while you're at it: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304288,00.htm. That's shoking news, it might be even worse than in the US. I feel sorry for those who buy this product without knowing of its problems. Then there's this: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304376,00.htm.

If you're willing to make that bet, then your devotion to Natal is much worse than I feared. I'm not going to take you up on that, because you provide no evidence to support your unbelievably bold claim. We shall see how this unfolds.

PS3 Will Be King By 2016.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Vexxmania said:
slowmo said:

I'll assume your ridiculous optimism for Bluray was just a joke, I already know the character of poster I'm dealing with when they automatically assume it will take over DVD.  I'm sorry but you're only fooling yourself if you think Bluray as a clear march from here on in.

I never mentioned reliability at all in reference to cheap parts, you seemed to assume that was my point for some mad reason.  I'll accept your apology whenever you're ready on that point.  My argument was they cannot reduce the cost further on many of the internal components anymore, there are no big savings left.

The last time Sony cut the price by $100 they couldn't afford to cut again for 18 months, is it really so hard to believe that will not be the case again?

The supposed price cut you mention was in actual fact a SKU adjustment more than anything else, very similar to the PS3 60GB to 40GB switch, but if you insist on this then we can accept the PS3 has had 3 price cuts already I guess then. 

I didn't watch a video of the slim being stripped, I did it myself (on 5 of them if you must know) and I don't see how any rational being could argue he could tell from a video how flimsy the parts felt in comparison to the fat models.  Sorry but you're in seriously deluded territory on this front.

Microsoft have stated there were not 1 million 360's banned, posting rumour as fact again I see.

The simple reason the 360 sales accelerate when the arcade model is reduced is it increases the cost differential between the cheapest models, if you cant understand this concept then I'm talking to a brick wall.

Last but not least how about a wager, I'll bet you $1000 the PS3 gets beaten in overall sale from September 2010 to the last week of December 2010.  I don't know why I bother offering you the bet though as you'll leave the site when the PS3 sales fall behind the 360, posters like you always do.

You're ignoring the reality of what is happening in the format world. With every passing day, the DVD format becomes less and less enticing as people are beginning to think of it as outdated technology. Guess you're the kind who has to see something to believe it.

You'd be mad to think that Sony's never going to cut the price of the PS3 again. Why would you even want to use that as an argument? Sure, you might think the PS3's compenents look cheap, but the point of the slim was to cut production costs and that's what Sony's done. And you do realise that Sony can lower the production costs even further without changing any of it components, right? Those "cheap" parts will become even cheaper to produce over time, allowing room for a price cut. It's quite simple really.

Well good for you for taking a slim apart. You must be very proud of your accomplishment.

And the fact that a million (or close to) 360's have been banned from Live is no rumour. Take a look for yourself (this site really needs to add Firefox support): http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304244,00.htm

You might as well look up so more info regarding the 360 while you're at it: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304288,00.htm. That's shoking news, it might be even worse than in the US. I feel sorry for those who buy this product without knowing of its problems. Then there's this: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304376,00.htm.

If you're willing to make that bet, then your devotion to Natal is much worse than I feared. I'm not going to take you up on that, because you provide no evidence to support your unbelievably bold claim. We shall see how this unfolds.

First and foremost let me educate you on the ban situation which you seem to think you can dig out of your false facts:

http://venturebeat.com/2009/11/19/microsofts-xbox-live-chief-on-banning-modders-and-browsing-facebook-photos-on-tv/

Specifically in that interview you may want to see the part where Marc Whitten who is the general manager of Xbox Live says the following:

MW: It’s a cat and mouse game. These were people that were pirating software. We try to keep sanctity of life from a safety and anti-cheating perspective and we protect our partners. We didn’t release the number. I cannot explain to you why people would think it was a million people. It wasn’t a million people. Check the veracity of that claim. It was one news source.

Ok thats your first inaccuracy cleared up.  Moving onto Bluray, I own a PS3 and have watched plenty of Blurays but I'm an enthusiast not a regular customer.  The vast majority of people I speak to are perfectly happy with DVD and the shelf space assigned to DVD still backs this up.  Bluray has probably a 50/50 chance of not being a niche product for now.  I think Bluray could and should take over but its not me you have to convince its the vast majority of people who aren't bothered right now.  Maybe in another 3-5 years when HDTV adoption is even higher it could be a success, personally speaking I don't see that affecting console sales this generation to the extent you do.  You're welcome to your opinion on this but given its not massively affected the market up till now I doubt its the huge draw you think it is. 

I took a slim apart for work, we needed to look at the insides as I work in a console repair centre.  I don't make a habit of opening consoles for the fun of it.  I don't know why you needed to be sarcastic though, bitter because you knew your last comment on watching a video was silly?

I never said the PS3 wouldn't get another price cut, you're trying to put words in my mouth yet again to offset your weak arguments.  Stick to the facts of what I did say not what you think I said please.  Do you think Sony can price cut again inside of 18 months, if so fair play and call me on that point!

I'm not even going to bother clicking on your links if the best you can do to try and backup your poor debate is to spread FUD about the 360 and troll on its well known issues.  I don't see the relevance to our discussion, its off topic and almost certainly posted to try and get a rise from people. 

I'm pretty sure I didn't write the 360's comeback relied on Natal.  All I referenced was the fact I thought it would be a value bundle next year, mainly to offset the cheaper bundles that are loss leaders.  Are you once again trying to put words in my mouth?  Seriously, if you cannot be bothered to read my replies then don't respond at all. 

What bold claim did I make with no evidence by the way?  Do you want me to provide evidence of an opinion?

slowmo said:

First and foremost let me educate you on the ban situation which you seem to think you can dig out of your false facts:

http://venturebeat.com/2009/11/19/microsofts-xbox-live-chief-on-banning-modders-and-browsing-facebook-photos-on-tv/

Specifically in that interview you may want to see the part where Marc Whitten who is the general manager of Xbox Live says the following:

MW: It’s a cat and mouse game. These were people that were pirating software. We try to keep sanctity of life from a safety and anti-cheating perspective and we protect our partners. We didn’t release the number. I cannot explain to you why people would think it was a million people. It wasn’t a million people. Check the veracity of that claim. It was one news source.

Ok thats your first inaccuracy cleared up.  Moving onto Bluray, I own a PS3 and have watched plenty of Blurays but I'm an enthusiast not a regular customer.  The vast majority of people I speak to are perfectly happy with DVD and the shelf space assigned to DVD still backs this up.  Bluray has probably a 50/50 chance of not being a niche product for now.  I think Bluray could and should take over but its not me you have to convince its the vast majority of people who aren't bothered right now.  Maybe in another 3-5 years when HDTV adoption is even higher it could be a success, personally speaking I don't see that affecting console sales this generation to the extent you do.  You're welcome to your opinion on this but given its not massively affected the market up till now I doubt its the huge draw you think it is. 

I took a slim apart for work, we needed to look at the insides as I work in a console repair centre.  I don't make a habit of opening consoles for the fun of it.  I don't know why you needed to be sarcastic though, bitter because you knew your last comment on watching a video was silly?

I never said the PS3 wouldn't get another price cut, you're trying to put words in my mouth yet again to offset your weak arguments.  Stick to the facts of what I did say not what you think I said please.  Do you think Sony can price cut again inside of 18 months, if so fair play and call me on that point!

I'm not even going to bother clicking on your links if the best you can do to try and backup your poor debate is to spread FUD about the 360 and troll on its well known issues.  I don't see the relevance to our discussion, its off topic and almost certainly posted to try and get a rise from people. 

I'm pretty sure I didn't write the 360's comeback relied on Natal.  All I referenced was the fact I thought it would be a value bundle next year, mainly to offset the cheaper bundles that are loss leaders.  Are you once again trying to put words in my mouth?  Seriously, if you cannot be bothered to read my replies then don't respond at all. 

What bold claim did I make with no evidence by the way?  Do you want me to provide evidence of an opinion?

Like I'm going to believe anything an employee of the same company that first claimed the RRoD was not a widespread issue says. And there are many other sites out there which have made estimates of how many 360s got banned, for example:http://topnews.ae/content/2969-ban-nearly-600000-modded-xbox-360-consoles-affects-xbox-live. Google some more if you like. Unless MS comes out with exact numbers, others will continue to estimate for them. As far as I'm concerned, this is more a conspiracy than an inaccuracy.

Regarding DVD, you can't use the opinions of just a small number of people to categorize what the entire group of consumers prefers. And I never gave a time frame as to when Blu-ray would officially take over, but this should happen in the next 5 years. Although, the benefits of Blu-rays in this console generation are already evident (FF XIII is going to have multiple discs on the 360 for example), I believe that these will influence this console generation to some extent.

Nope, I'm not bitter about anything. You made it sound as if you were boasting about taking a slim apart, hence why I replied the way I did.

I do believe the PS3's going to get a price cut next year (around September). Sony simply can't afford not to cut the price, because of new products the competition is going to introduce around the same time. Also (I'm not entirely sure) Sony doesn't have any big games planned for Q4. So a price cut would be the most logical thing to do.

You choose to believe the links I posted are nothing more than FUD, but if people continue a buy a product which has been proven to have a high failure rate (you say this issue is well known), wouldn't that mean that the issue isn't as well known as you might think? Anyway, the relevance is, as more and more people become aware of the 360's problems (there was a video link on the yahoo homepage regarding RRoD a few days ago), do you really believe people would continue to accept such a product even with a "Natal bundled super Elite" on the way? Unless MS fixes this and other problems, they will continue to linger and could ultimately cause the demise of the 360.

I'm not putting words in your mouth at all. In one of your previous posts, you said that you think the 360's comeback will rely on a Natal bundle and a price cut on the Elite.

The claim you made = "the 360 will beat the PS3 in overal sales from September '10 to the last week of December '10". Quite bold.

PS3 Will Be King By 2016.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E