By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The minimal PS3/360 gap will be 3.5M and maximal 5.5M by the end of 2009

mario64 said:
@slowmo : Just a few fixes :

"DVD is ok since both the Wii and 360 use it for over 75% market share" : nice try, except the Wii has no multiple disks game, and it accounts for nearly 50% market share, which makes your whole point completely wrong. And yeah, multiple disks is so 1999.

"despair for Sony" : like this week or every week where they crush the 360 worldwide and even in NA now ? Well, I guess the 360 must be even more doomed these days then ?

"Natal" : NatEyeToy will sell exactly like Eyetoy, like the PS Wand, or maybe a bit more, which is... not so much anyway. It's a gimmick and a non factor. No gamer wants to jump in front of his TV, the grandmas and kids who liked that bought a Wii long ago, and it's now collecting dust. How MS could seriously believe copying Eyetoy would save the 360 and attract the casual crowd is beyond me. It has around zero chance of success, since even the Wii is already on its way down.

Natal will stay as one of their biggest failures ever, and their list is already long and pathetic, including Vista, yahoo bid, Zune, RROD or Xbox 1. Natal will probably be the last nail in the 360 coffin.

Hey MS, I've got a secret for you, the reason you're losing this war is because you lack AAA exclusives and studios compared to Sony. Look, that wasn't hard to guess, I predicted everything that is happening now a few years ago and explained Sony would win because of content. People buy consoles because of the games they can play on it. Go figure. Wow. 2 studios < 20 studios last time I checked.

Perhaps the fact there is so few games that use multiple disks on both systems prove Bluray isn't a necessity yet.  The point is DVD as a format is a more than valid solution this generation.

Didn't the PS3 lose out to the 360 in NA mere weeks after the huge price cut and new model launch, to me that is pretty bad for them in that region long term, how long did it take the PS3 to outsell the 360 last year in that region after its price cut?  I merely said that for every negative post about the PS3 I can post plenty of the PS3 too, the point is I don't see any relevance in them to the discussion.

You think Natal has zero chance of success, good for you.  You're entitled to your opinion, I would highlight you've created a very careful analysis of the product given the massive amount of time you've spent using it, oh hang on you haven't used it have you.  With such sound logic from you I think thats a moot debate.

MS have still sold more 360's than the PS3 and they've made more money this generation so how in the hell are they losing to Sony?  I'm sorry but you're coming across as a quite bitter individual with that last sentence.  Come back and claim your victory on the day the PS3 surpasses the 360, until then you're just being ignorant.

Please don't bother replying, I cannot be bothered arguing with such a close minded individual unwilling to grasp arguments in their full context they were posted. 

Around the Network

Weekly PS3 sales > weekly 360 sales

Aligned launch PS3 sales > aligned launch 360 sales every year from launch

Hence PS3 wins. See, simple maths.

(or PS2 wins if you don't take aligned launches, which doesn't make sense)

Feel free to discuss or spin facts. Nice Halo 2006 avatar though.

heeeeeeeeey mario and slowmo stop talking about the past....
focus on the present and predict the future.
there's no need to fight between fellow gamers.
on and nice sig btw mario the graphics are awesome.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Yeah, go GT5 ! Can't wait. :p

mario64 said:
Weekly PS3 sales > weekly 360 sales

Aligned launch PS3 sales > aligned launch 360 sales every year from launch

Hence PS3 wins. See, simple maths.

(or PS2 wins if you don't take aligned launches, which doesn't make sense)

Feel free to discuss or spin facts. Nice Halo 2006 avatar though.

You quote a aligned launch graph then try and chastise me for spinning?  There is no spin in total sales PS3 < 360, thats not going to change for a long time.

Thank you, I don't see how the avatar is 2006 given the photo was only taken in 2008 though.

Around the Network
gustave154 said:
heeeeeeeeey mario and slowmo stop talking about the past....
focus on the present and predict the future.
there's no need to fight between fellow gamers.
on and nice sig btw mario the graphics are awesome.

I'm done with him anyway mate, he can rant and rave to thin air now.  It's such a shame some people are so intent on screwing themselves out of playing great games for some silly sense of loyalty.

slowmo said:

You quote a aligned launch graph then try and chastise me for spinning?  There is no spin in total sales PS3 < 360, thats not going to change for a long time.

Not too sure about that....I reckon the PS3 will be no more than 5m behind the 360 by the end of this year, and unless MS reduce the cost of the 360 in the first half of 2010, then I can see the gap getting smaller and smaller quite quickly.  Don't forget that there is quite a few system sellers releasing on the PS3 in the next 4 months (FFXIII, GT5 & GOW3) and these should push up sales WW.  It looks like MS is putting too much emphasis on Natal and what it may or may not do for sales of the 360, although we won't know exactly what it will do until it releases late next year, but as I've said before, I expect the PS3 total sales to be pretty close to the 360 by then.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Hardware Sales, 29th Nov 2009

^^ dont u think XBOX is not going to fall to PS3 of 2008 level? after all it is a very successful console n it is also priced at very affordable level of $199.. so its very hard for it to fall to such low sales like PS3 of 2008, especially in this economy n in this time of the yr.

x360 is performing better on 4th year in Others/Europe, than i expected. Otherwise, sales would be within my predictions.

5 weeks left, we shall see how will x360 perform. However, the gap will be within 3.5-5.5M, i`m pretty sure about this.