By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The minimal PS3/360 gap will be 3.5M and maximal 5.5M by the end of 2009

@SOLIDSNAKE08: 360 outsold PS3 by about 1.7million worldwide in Nov/Dec 2008.

Edit:  I typed Oct/Nov the first time around for some reason.

Around the Network

PS3 outsold the 360 by 1.6 million worldwide between Sept/Oct 2009.
PS3 only edged out the 360 by a combined total of 60 to 70k units for the first two weeks of November 2009.
Only 6 or 7 sales weeks of 2009 remaining.

ViolentPhlegm said:

@SOLIDSNAKE08: 360 outsold PS3 by about 1.7million worldwide in Nov/Dec 2008.

Edit:  I typed Oct/Nov the first time around for some reason.

so if the 360 outsold the ps3 by 1.7 million for those 2 months i think thats the minimum the ps3 will outsell the 360.

According to my calculations according to VG numbers:

The PS3 has sold 1.47m more units between WE 29th August to WE 14th November.

More importantly, look at the last 4 weeks of sales compared to 2008:

The 360 sold 1.01m over the last 4 weeks in 2008 compared to 888k this year while the PS3 sold 779k last year compared to 1.2m this year.

So the 360 is down 13% on last years totals for the last 4 weeks while the PS3 has seem more than a 40% increase this year compared to last.

Add in the fact that the 360 sales this year over the last few weeks are up due to special deals etc, then this is a huge swing.

We are now heading into the full Christmas phase for sales and should see a significant increase in sales in general, although it looks like the 360's number have been inflated over the last 2 weeks due to specials and such and by the sound of things will fall flat next week or even decrease while I fully expect the PS3 to increase by 10-20% next week.  The gap should be closer to 100k WW between the PS3 and 360 and then an even larger gap the following week...then closer to Xmas we have FFXIII releasing in Japan, which will boost hardware sales for the last 2 weeks of the year.

We may very well see a difference of between 1-2m by the end of the year in sales.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

slowmo said:
@OP - Reasonable prediction, I think your numbers for the 360 are a little low personally but not too far off. I would have gone for a 4-6 million range if I had to put a figure out there, mainly because I think it will be about 5 million in January, with the 360 big price drive coming next year around September to bring the gap back up from the 4 million it will be down to by then.

Will be impressed if you're right though!

Well so far the 360's still selling less than it did last year, so his predicition is still dead on at the moment.

How do you know the 360's going to get a big price cut next year? For all you know, the cut might only be $50 (if at all). And you're also assuming that Sony's just going to sit idly by and let its console become the most expensive once again. I think it's safe to say that from this point on, each company will match the other's price.

PS3 Will Be King By 2016.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network
Vexxmania said:
slowmo said:
@OP - Reasonable prediction, I think your numbers for the 360 are a little low personally but not too far off. I would have gone for a 4-6 million range if I had to put a figure out there, mainly because I think it will be about 5 million in January, with the 360 big price drive coming next year around September to bring the gap back up from the 4 million it will be down to by then.

Well so far the 360's still selling less than it did last year, so his predicition is still dead on at the moment.

How do you know the 360's going to get a big price cut next year? For all you know, the cut might only be $50 (if at all). And you're also assuming that Sony's just going to sit idly by and let its console become the most expensive once again. I think it's safe to say that from this point on, each company will match the other's price.

No in your opinion his prediction is dead on, I never stated he was wrong just slightly low.  He provided a prediction so I commented on it, in a fair and reasonable manner I thought.

If you think Microsoft will just sit and wait watching the PS3 overtake them in userbase then you're frankly talking silly.  Sony have done two huge price cuts and acted desperate to be frank, just in order to get back in the race.  They cannot afford another price cut for a long time now.  I've had the slim open and the parts used in it are to be frank, cheap and nasty, they really have gone to town on cost reductions to the point the build quality is very poor for a Sony product.  If you don't believe me then open one yourself sometime and find out the truth.  Cost cutting for Sony is getting ridiculously hard now so they will not be matching any price cut Microsoft make.  The 360 is making a profit with every console sold and there is still plenty of room for cost cutting (although it will require significant expense in R&D on a new board design).  This is why I think we'll see a big cut next year, I'd be staggered if there isn't a $199 Elite for xmas next year and a $299 Natal bundled Super Elite.  This is just my thoughts though and you're welcome to disagree.  I certainly think we're a long way from saying it's safe to say Sony will be able to match any Microsoft price cut.

If anyone has a problem with how I see Sony's strategy then don't bother arguing with me, I'm not going to change your opinion and you certainly aren't mine.  Lets try and keep the discussion about the OP's prediction please.

^^the trouble is m$ have already done lots of price cuts this year as well, so i guess m$ must be desperate since the slim then.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

slowmo said:
Vexxmania said:
slowmo said:

No in your opinion his prediction is dead on, I never stated he was wrong just slightly low.  He provided a prediction so I commented on it, in a fair and reasonable manner I thought.

If you think Microsoft will just sit and wait watching the PS3 overtake them in userbase then you're frankly talking silly.  Sony have done two huge price cuts and acted desperate to be frank, just in order to get back in the race.  They cannot afford another price cut for a long time now.  I've had the slim open and the parts used in it are to be frank, cheap and nasty, they really have gone to town on cost reductions to the point the build quality is very poor for a Sony product.  If you don't believe me then open one yourself sometime and find out the truth.  Cost cutting for Sony is getting ridiculously hard now so they will not be matching any price cut Microsoft make.  The 360 is making a profit with every console sold and there is still plenty of room for cost cutting (although it will require significant expense in R&D on a new board design).  This is why I think we'll see a big cut next year, I'd be staggered if there isn't a $199 Elite for xmas next year and a $299 Natal bundled Super Elite.  This is just my thoughts though and you're welcome to disagree.  I certainly think we're a long way from saying it's safe to say Sony will be able to match any Microsoft price cut.

If anyone has a problem with how I see Sony's strategy then don't bother arguing with me, I'm not going to change your opinion and you certainly aren't mine.  Lets try and keep the discussion about the OP's prediction please.

instead of " will microsoft just sit there and watch ps3 hammer them" how about microsoft are FORCED to sit and watch the ps3 overtake them. theres only so much they can do.

@slowmo, well actually Microsoft made:
1) An additional 60Gb value for pro model(299$ elite) in August.

2) Then Microsoft did a 50$ rebate for those models during Halo 3 ODST release.

3) Then 1(2) week(s) 99$ walmart offer for arcade models.
4) Then MW2 elite bundle.

I think, Microsoft did almost everything, to stop the gap decrease.
But those 2 weeks have ended, i expect now around 200-220k sales for x360 and around 400 for PS3 for this week.

If not Walmart deal and MW2 bundle, x360 now would be much less compared to ps3 2008. And so far, the difference in x360 favour is not that big, that`s why i think my maximal x360 limit for 2009 is right.

yea this weeks sales should be interesting for 360 as the past 2 weeks have been inflated due to... just read zorrox's post ^