By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is 3D Mario doomed?

theRepublic said:
Kenology said:
Yridian said:

3D games are the standard, and Mario will always be represented in that format. Not only that, but Mario's flagship games will always be in 3D. This is Mario's first real 2D game on a console since what, the SNES? No, 3D is going nowhere.

And hey, am I the only one who thinks Galaxy 2 will beat the 2D game? To be blunt, I'm waaaaaay more excited about Galaxy. I had fun with the DS Mario game, but something about it on the Wii ... I dunno. Something tells me it won't do numbers anywhere near what the DS game did. And I'm thinking more people want Galaxy. Both games will be hits, no matter what.

No way Galaxy 2 is gonna sell better than NSMBWii - no way.  SMG2 is not gonna perform better because you're more interested in it.  And we already know that NSMBWii won't sell as well as NSMB on DS - that much is obvious.

How do we already know that NSMB Wii won't outsell the DS version?  I don't recall anyone thinking that Mario Kart Wii would outsell the DS version, but it did.

We don't.  It's just my opinion.  I'd love to be wrong though, believe me.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
theRepublic said:
Kenology said:
Yridian said:

3D games are the standard, and Mario will always be represented in that format. Not only that, but Mario's flagship games will always be in 3D. This is Mario's first real 2D game on a console since what, the SNES? No, 3D is going nowhere.

And hey, am I the only one who thinks Galaxy 2 will beat the 2D game? To be blunt, I'm waaaaaay more excited about Galaxy. I had fun with the DS Mario game, but something about it on the Wii ... I dunno. Something tells me it won't do numbers anywhere near what the DS game did. And I'm thinking more people want Galaxy. Both games will be hits, no matter what.

No way Galaxy 2 is gonna sell better than NSMBWii - no way.  SMG2 is not gonna perform better because you're more interested in it.  And we already know that NSMBWii won't sell as well as NSMB on DS - that much is obvious.

How do we already know that NSMB Wii won't outsell the DS version?  I don't recall anyone thinking that Mario Kart Wii would outsell the DS version, but it did.

Well, alright.  It just didn't seem much like opinion with the whole "...that much is obvious" thing.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
Kenology said:
theRepublic said:
Kenology said:
Yridian said:

Well, alright.  It just didn't seem much like opinion with the whole "...that much is obvious" thing.

Well, let's just say that I don't think I'll be wrong... 

I can see Nintendo releasing a Wii 2 with gfx 10 times the detail of a PS3 then plonking a 2D mario on it just to take the piss out of Sony lol :)

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Soriku said:

Yes, now they're gonna be stuck making more Paper Mario games! Mwa ha ha.

No.

I wish... >_>

Around the Network
puffy said:
Many people are missing the point.. Answer me this:

Will the flagship Mario title on Wii2 be 2D or 3D? Which would be more likely to be a launch title?

The flagship title is more likely to be 2d and the more likely launch title will be 2d aswell (cuz it's easier(?) to develop)

But both should be made because, although NSMBW will be super nostalgic, with all the koopa kids and SMW-like levels/design, i don't see it getting the score/acclaim that SMG got. mario needs to maintain respect as a franchise by releasing 3D games with high pedigree and critical acclaim and also release 2D games that will amount to huge sales but won't be as critically acclaimed.

look what happened to sonic, he had one bad release after the other, i love him to death but i don't have much respect left for the franchise, he deserves better :(

Probably not. 2D Marios and 3D Marios do not necessarily appeal to the same consumer, and Nintendo will maximize profits by continuing to wow people with both. Remember: return on investment isn't the most important number here, and both crowds need to be catered to in order to maximize profits!

I expect a full-out revolution for 3D Mario in the next generation, though. Galaxy is awesome, but I think they really want to sell more than it's doing now - perhaps they want it to beat out Super Mario 64?

I think the next NSMB (2D Mario) platformer after this one will be for the DS2 (2011/2012), than maybe after that for Wii 2 you'll see a 2D Mario. But we're probably talking like 2013/2014 maybe even 2015.

Sometimes it's better to enjoy what you got. Enjoy the next year. NSMB Wii + Super Mario Galaxy 2 ... this is not going to happen again for a long time I think.

Instead of worrying about where games are going to end up that aren't probably going to come out for another 3-5 years.

3-d mario didnt live even in N64 anyway. The game was supposed to be the frontloader in N64(just like Wii Sports) to compete with the rival console. But along with the N64 console the game just died.

Atleast Nintendo gives developers hint on how to make a 3-d game, especially 3-d platformer games.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

yushire said:
3-d mario didnt live even in N64 anyway. The game was supposed to be the frontloader in N64(just like Wii Sports) to compete with the rival console. But along with the N64 console the game just died.

Atleast Nintendo gives developers hint on how to make a 3-d game, especially 3-d platformer games.

did I miss anything about Mario 64? What do you mean the game just died?

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.